ADVERTISEMENT

**OFFICIAL KENTUCKY VS OAKLAND RD. 1 GAME THREAD**

I asked Microsoft Copilot...

If a basketball player is hitting 3 pointers at will (7 for 13), what strategy should the opposing team employ?

To counter a basketball player who is successfully hitting 3-pointers, the opposing team could consider the following strategies:

Switch to a 2-3 Zone Defense: This can help disrupt the shooter’s rhythm and force them to take more contested shots1.
Employ the On-Off Technique: Within the zone defense, the bottom defender gets ON the shooter to heavily contest the shot, then bumps OFF once the initial shot is stopped, allowing the top defender to recover and defend1.
Extend the Defense: Use a one-two-two extended zone with taller players in high positions to defend against the 3-point shot, ensuring all shots are contested with both hands up2.
No-Help Defense: Assign the best defensive player to the 3-point shooter and do not provide help, making it difficult for the shooter to find open looks3.
These strategies can help reduce the effectiveness of a player who is proficient from beyond the arc. It’s important to adapt the defense to the flow of the game and the specific strengths of the offensive player.
Cal doesn’t know how to use Google.

Reactions: Girthang
We lost our advantage within the first 6 minutes of the game by rolling out a starting 5 with only one real scorer. Edwards reverted back to form by missing easy layups. We allowed Oakland to miss shot after shot without paying price for it. Tre hasn't done anything in weeks and yet CCC thought it was a good idea to start him tonight.
Yep. Missed their first 10 shots and we couldn't take advantage.

Reactions: sefus12
Won’t be quick enough whatever happens. Mitch should fire his ass in the tunnel as he goes to the lockerroom.
And the recruiting class isn't good enough to worry about losing either. Quaintance will get bulldozed next year against the SEC's grown men, and Fland is the equivalent of a year-one Immanuel Quickley.

We're going to be bad next year anyway.

A team needs only a moderate to mediocre offense to beat this Kentucky team if they can play a defense that gets us taking such rushed shots.

And now we are in panic mode. Three guys are going after ONE guy and you still can't stop him. We should not be surprised. This team hasn't played defense all season. We would be crazy to think it would/can change.

If Cal is ever allowed to set foot in Rupp again, that is on the University of Kentucky... He must be banned...

Sure would love for Barn Door to cart him out at half time...

I think the Oakland coach baited Cal to play through the post with his comments. Seems to have worked, putting the ball in the hands of our secondary scorers and out of the hands of our best shooters. Reed and Dilly haven’t scored yet. Great strategy and it worked because of Cal’s ego.

How quickly would UK move on from Cal if he lost tonight?
Only if Cal chooses to. Thanks to Mitch, Cal holds all the cards, which is RIDICULOUS!!!

Our only hope is that the criticism from everyone gets so bad that his ego won’t allow him to continue here.

Reactions: ArcticChar
Won’t be quick enough whatever happens. Mitch should fire his ass in the tunnel as he goes to the lockerroom.
If there's ever an off-season to do it, this is the one. Have a class full of "meh" talent that might take years to develop if they stay. No probable stars besides JQ maybe his sophomore year.

And the recruiting class isn't good enough to worry about losing either. Quaintance will get bulldozed next year against the SEC's grown men, and Fland is the equivalent of a year-one Immanuel Quickley.

We're going to be bad next year anyway.
Exactly. I have a baaaaad feeling that we're in for a BJ Boston team-esque season next year. Not saying there will be 16 losses, but I can see it getting ugly.

Reactions: UKCat4Ever
Cal was talking before the game about his NBA players making over 4 billion in pro contracts. When is someone going to ask him why our record in the NCAA tournament is so bad lately with all that talent and him being a hall of fame coach. Something doesn’t add up, maybe his coaching is overrated, looks that way to a lot of people.
I know I couldn’t believe it like let’s talk about the tournament and what’s in front of you but no let’s talk about what actually means the most to you!!!

Wonder why our shooters always struggle to get open looks but our opponents are always wide open? Must just be they’re all more talented than the Cats.

I think the Oakland coach baited Cal to play through the post with his comments. Seems to have worked, putting the ball in the hands of our secondary scorers and out of the hands of our best shooters. Reed and Dilly haven’t scored yet. Great strategy and it worked because of Cal’s ego.
Unbelievable

What does any of this have to do with believing Reed’s parents are in the locker room?

I’ve said 100 times I don’t care if Cal stays or goes. I just think the constant blaming everything on him is silly. How anyone watched the first half and didn’t think Reed was a nightmare amazes me.
I don’t give a sh*t about the parents.

You keep bagging on Reed but refuse to blame the coach who doesn’t run a play to get Reed or Rob or Reeves open and who also won’t do anything different on D to keep Oakland from killing us with screens that get their shooters open.

How quickly would UK move on from Cal if he lost tonight?
qIGKF3t.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT