ADVERTISEMENT

********OFFICIAL GAME THREAD********

Way too early for that ranking to mean anything. Guarantee they weren’t 300+ tonight.

they will end up in the same vicinity of 300s.

I know we played horrible tonight but even with them connecting on 50% of their threes, they still lost by double digits.

Odds are they aren't making anywhere near 19 threes the rest of the year in a game.

How would K and Duke have guarded Parham any better?

Hand in the face: check.
Double teamed: check
Switch on the perimeter: check
Keep a taller defender on him: check
What's left? Shank him?

Kid was simply on-fire tonight, he deserves credit.

K would have had Zion eat him at halftime.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
How would K and Duke have guarded Parham any better?

Hand in the face: check.
Double teamed: check
Switch on the perimeter: check
Keep a taller defender on him: check
What's left? Shank him?

Kid was simply on-fire tonight, he deserves credit.

K would have put a hex on that kid...No problem..

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
they will end up in the same vicinity of 300s.

I know we played horrible tonight but even with them connecting on 50% of their threes, they still lost by double digits.

Odds are they aren't making anywhere near 19 threes the rest of the year in a game.

How can you tell where they will end up?

Cal needs to up the tempo and open the game more for shooters. Maybe not 50 but 25 threes a game would be a start.

I am not sure he ever will.
Yeah, right now it seems like he's just content to stay with the same style he's had since he got here. That's great, but we don't have the star power to pull it off. He should really take a hard look at what Nova did in 16 and 18 and give it a try.
I just don't see his normal offensive identity working for this team. We don't have Davis, Townes or Cousins. But we do have some shooters.
Run some backdoor stuff, set some high screens, something other than force feeding the paint.

How can you tell where they will end up?

I can't for sure.
If either of us had that ability I suspect we'd both be very rich by now.

I just know where VMI has been ranked the past few seasons. I know where they started each season and where they ended up.

I think it's a much better bet to call it what it was............we had one guy go off against us and have the game of his life.

I mean looking at things in totality this is also a team that lost to Pittsburgh by 40.

But......as I had mentioned........it doesn't mean a team ranked in the 300s can't have a great game played. That just happened tonight vs us.

We actually under Cal have played at a fast pace so I dunno where this slow pace thing comes from.

If you mean when we have large leads do we slow it down........yeah.....we do........most teams do.

I can't for sure.
If either of us had that ability I suspect we'd both be very rich by now.

I just know where VMI has been ranked the past few seasons. I know where they started each season and where they ended up.

I think it's a much better bet to call it what it was............we had one guy go off against us and have the game of his life.

I mean looking at things in totality this is also a team that lost to Pittsburgh by 40.

But......as I had mentioned........it doesn't mean a team ranked in the 300s can't have a great game played. That just happened tonight vs us.

Yeah, I mean, that’s the easy prediction. But look at Furman. Picked 5th in the same conference and look what they’ve done already.

I prefer to give teams the benefit of the doubt. Someone surprises every year. That’s why they still play the games.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
So what’s your premise, exactly? We don’t play fast enough in the game we lose in the tournament? Or is it something else? I really don’t get what you’re arguing.

We seem to always allow the opponent to dictate the pace. Whatever they may choose. There's obviously something to being able to play different styles. I just wish we weren't always reacting to the other teams game plan. To the point that it often seems like we have no plan at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC
We seem to always allow the opponent to dictate the pace. Whatever they may choose. There's obviously something to being able to play different styles. I just wish we weren't always reacting to the other teams game plan. To the degree that it often seems like we have no plan at all.

I can understand how it might seem that way. Kind of like how we can “never stop the three,” but yet we were 4th in the country in that category last year. As fans, we tend to exaggerate the attributes that we find frustrating.

Two years ago, we were 26th in adjusted pace for the entire season. There’s no way to do that by always letting the other team dictate pace, unless we just happened to play a whole bunch of fast teams that year.

Typically, we try to play at a fairly quick pace. A lot of our opponents prefer to slow things down, limit possessions to neutralize our talent advantage. So there’s a tug of war. And as someone else mentioned, Cal does have a tendency to milk clock when there’s a lead.

I will say that I sometimes wish Cal did more to force pace. I think his tendency is to funnel teams toward the basket and block shots. Without a dominant shot blocker, trapping and working for deflections and steals might make more sense.

That might be what you and a lot of others see. Cal doesn’t seem opposed to letting teams milk a 30 second clock, as long as the result is a long 2 or challenged layup.

Duke and K wouldn’t have let VMI do that to them.

Duke loses, and your incessant negativity loses steam. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! I know I know, it was to the number 3 team. Stll sucks for slurpers like yourself. Enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT