ADVERTISEMENT

Offense Next Year

SituationBlue

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2014
Scrolling through some posts tonight and from what I'm seeing it's sounding like the big guy Devonta Lee is headed to LSU (no surprise). While it remains to be seen where exactly he goes, it has me thinking about next year's offense and what to realistically expect from that group. I have to admit that I'm seeing some trouble.

Starting with the good:

1. Junior Lynn Bowden. The obvious big-play threat for next year, he's really going to have to be a touchdown catalyst for the team.

2. Terry Wilson. The athletic ability is there, I'm going to remain hopeful he develops into a weapon with a year under his belt.

3. Offensive Line. Definitely some good pieces there. Drake Jackson is solid, the return of Landon Young will be nice too. The others, Price, Stenberg, a couple younger guys, will make for a great group next year.

.. but now the question marks:

1. Running Backs. I could easily see this group being a strength. AJ Rose was a tremendous back up to Benny last year so I think he'll take the torch and run with it. We saw some good things from Smoke and Rodriguez, but all-in-all, this unit significantly lacks experience so we'll have to wait and see.

2. Receivers. Take out Lynn Bowden and you'd have a hard time finding a worse unit in the country last year IMO (don't come at me with stats, too lazy to look them up right now). Before last year I used to think the most puzzling thing of the Stoops era has been the lack of play from the secondary. The lack of downfield passing game has now taken the lead. This group has lacked SEC talent for a while and I don't see it getting significantly better next year.

3. Tight Ends. Honestly don't see a drop off. Can't find a much better TE than Conrad but we used him in the passing game so little that I think his receiving production can be replaced. Blocking will probably take a step back, but then again maybe it won't.

I think this years recruiting class severely needed a dynamic playmaker and we just weren't able to get one. Wandale Robinson was definitely the human joystick, put you in space and make a play type of player that we needed but that didn't work out. Devonta Lee is trending to LSU and Javonte Richardson now appears to not have the grades be accepted - two guys that certainly would have helped.

SO, I'll remain hopeful but realistically I see some rough seas ahead for the offense.

Reactions: csrupp
Cant disagree with anything you said. This season will hinge on Terry's progress and at least 1 wr emerging as a CONSISTENT threat. We've had a few guys flash a play or two here and there, but we need someone other than Lynn that the D needs to account for.

As for Wandale I know he is a playmaker but what this team lacks is that outside receiver threat. Wandale is not that.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Prior to last season, CJ and Benny received a lot of pub. After the season, Bunchy and DK got recognition. This year, I think Drake, Lynne and maybe Stenberg get some preseason pub. After the season, Young, Wilson and/or a new name at RB may be getting recognition.

We RSed a lot of frosh skill players last season. 2 RBs, 2TEs, and 4 WRs. I am really interested to see which of those 8 players are making a local name for themselves this spring.

Last edited:
Scrolling through some posts tonight and from what I'm seeing it's sounding like the big guy Devonta Lee is headed to LSU (no surprise). While it remains to be seen where exactly he goes, it has me thinking about next year's offense and what to realistically expect from that group. I have to admit that I'm seeing some trouble.

Starting with the good:

1. Junior Lynn Bowden. The obvious big-play threat for next year, he's really going to have to be a touchdown catalyst for the team.

2. Terry Wilson. The athletic ability is there, I'm going to remain hopeful he develops into a weapon with a year under his belt.

3. Offensive Line. Definitely some good pieces there. Drake Jackson is solid, the return of Landon Young will be nice too. The others, Price, Stenberg, a couple younger guys, will make for a great group next year.

1. Running Backs. I could easily see this group being a strength. AJ Rose was a tremendous back up to Benny last year so I think he'll take the torch and run with it. We saw some good things from Smoke and Rodriguez, but all-in-all, this unit significantly lacks experience so we'll have to wait and see.

2. Receivers. Take out Lynn Bowden and you'd have a hard time finding a worse unit in the country last year IMO (don't come at me with stats, too lazy to look them up right now). Before last year I used to think the most puzzling thing of the Stoops era has been the lack of play from the secondary. The lack of downfield passing game has now taken the lead. This group has lacked SEC talent for a while and I don't see it getting significantly better next year.

3. Tight Ends. Honestly don't see a drop off. Can't find a much better TE than Conrad but we used him in the passing game so little that I think his receiving production can be replaced. Blocking will probably take a step back, but then again maybe it won't.

I think this years recruiting class severely needed a dynamic playmaker and we just weren't able to get one. Wandale Robinson was definitely the human joystick, put you in space and make a play type of player that we needed but that didn't work out. Devonta Lee is trending to LSU and Javonte Richardson now appears to not have the grades be accepted - two guys that certainly would have helped.

SO, I'll remain hopeful but realistically I see some rough seas ahead for the offense.
Dont disagree with much either, but RB not on my concern list at all for me. Think it pretty much comes down to this . . . if we find just one more WR to make plays and help balance out Bowde, and if Terry emerges as the threat he should be himself especially with his feet making plays in the RPO and on tuck and runs, we'll be fine.

A downfield threat woudld be nice but not counting on it so I'll take just those two things mentioned and be happy. Maybe Tisdale becomes the second guy. Just need another person for Terry to get the ball to quickly and make plays.

Reactions: The-Hack
To be fair.. our passing concepts have to improve immensely before we can judge our receivers on last years performance. Besides quick screens to either josh Ali or Lynn Bowden.. we would take our shots downfield solely on deep post to Lynn or Ali. We had early success with the outside toss rpo to bouvier over the middle early in the year and didn’t revisit it after the South Carolina game. Our quads formation is another rpo formation which had continued success throughout the season but we have two key reads out of it and that is it. We have to be more versatile and give our quarterback more than just one read before he checks down. I would love to see us sprint terry out to the trips side and high lowing the flats with combo routes. This would give him the option to tuck and run if nothing is open. Our offense is so predictable that it drives me crazy. Hopefully we will open it up this year and give our recievers a better chance to make some plays.

They gonna have to be very creative. If we thought teams stacked the box last year....watch what happens . It'll be man press coverage with teams just daring UK to throw. Year after year now they continue to miss on the skill guys.

Starting with the good:

#2 Receivers...interesting what will be done with Wagner and the development of TW and the passing game itself, but I just dont believe that will be a focal point of the staff. Only time will tell.

My comments to your comments...[winking]

Definitely. But other than kick returns someone must get him the ball​

He is the one that must make Bowden a big play "player"; not just a big play "threat".​

3. Offensive Line. Definitely some good pieces there...
Possibly as good as last year? OL play gives Wilson the time to throw, Bowden the time to "get deep" and holes for just about any RB to run. IOW, about everything for the offense.​

And my comments to your questions...:D

1. Running Backs. I could easily see this group being a strength...
No Snell but no real questions here. With good OL play (see comment 3) just about any group of RBs will be "good"​

2. Receivers. Take out Lynn Bowden and you'd have a hard time finding a worse unit in the country last year...
True. Which, all offensive things considered, will probably mean the 2019 offense will pretty much emulate the 2018 offense. IOW, slow pace and run the ball 60% of the time.​

3. Tight Ends. Honestly don't see a drop off....
Certainly not as a receiver. Conrad actually aligned and pretty much played as a "blocking back". I suspect they can find someone else to fill that role.​

As for the 2019 offense, until shown otherwise, I see pretty much the same thing as last year (#89 in Pt/G and #109 in Y/G). If so, the big question for 2019 may be do they have enough defense to make that work?

Peace

Last edited:

He is the one that must make Bowden a big play "player"; not just a big play "threat".​

Possibly as good as last year? OL play gives Wilson the time to throw, Bowden the time to "get deep" and holes for just about any RB to run. IOW, about everything for the offense.​

No Snell but no real questions here. With good OL play (see comment 3) just about any group of RBs will be "good"​

2. Receivers. Take out Lynn Bowden and you'd have a hard time finding a worse unit in the country last year...
True. Which, all offensive things considered, will probably mean the 2019 offense will pretty much emulate the 2018 offense. IOW, slow pace and run the ball 60% of the time.​

Certainly not as a receiver. Conrad actually aligned and pretty much played as a "blocking back". I suspect they can find someone else to fill that role.​

As for the 2019 offense, until shown otherwise, I see pretty much the same thing as last year (#89 in PPG and #109 in YPG). If so, the big question for 2019 may be do they have enough defense to make that work?

Peace
We dont agree on much , but I think this is spot on. Can't see Josh and the dbs being replaced. Plenty of talent in front seven. The offense must pull a much heavier load next season if it is to be remotely close to last year

Do not give up on our current and future WR's. J Ali, I Epps, A Daley, and newcomers D Crumes and D Harris will IMO pleasantly surprise many on here.
As far as the TE goes, J Rigg is pretty solid and the 2 RS frosh will make plays and be pretty solid blockers. The wild card on O may very well be A Wagner, who with a year under his belt getting back to football, could step up and be a real contributer

Do not give up on our current and future WR's. J Ali, I Epps, A Daley, and newcomers D Crumes and D Harris will IMO pleasantly surprise many on here.
As far as the TE goes, J Rigg is pretty solid and the 2 RS frosh will make plays and be pretty solid blockers. The wild card on O may very well be A Wagner, who with a year under his belt getting back to football, could step up and be a real contributer

Not sure on how much improvement we will see, but he is a walking penalty for his defender every time they stretch the feild with him..

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat

As for the 2019 offense, until shown otherwise, I see pretty much the same thing as last year (#89 in Pt/G and #109 in Y/G). If so, the big question for 2019 may be do they have enough defense to make that work?

Peace

Gotta see improvement on that end, team will not have the same kind of strengths to fall back on this season.. Otherwise we are right back to 7-5, fighting it out with Vandy and Ole Miss in hopes of getting back to the Music City Bowl..

Wagner? Needs to be used.

Peace

Agreed. Well said. Though I think the receiving corps will be just good enough for 55-57% run ratio. I think we’ll manufacture short throws for Bowden and Rose will be a much bigger dual threat than Benny.

Starting with the good:

Coach Stoops and Gran will adjust and move forward better than most think.

I think running backs will be more than fine. I think QB needs lots of work. Receivers should do well as should TE if they can get the ball. Secondary scares me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT