ADVERTISEMENT

Oakland coach Greg Kampe on local radio

No it's not "rare". Coaches talk like this all the time. You are just pulling shit out of the air knowing people won't go track down the 100s of times coaches have been excited about playing a team, pointing out where they think they're strengths might be, and just in general being confident.

GOOD LORD. Go somewhere else you rag.
Amen.

No, Townsend wont' "score a bunch inside". He's 6'6". Our smallest forward is 6'9". And we'll have a 7' in there that will send his crap to the stands. He averages just under 17 ppg and is their leading scorer. He had 38 last weekend, but that was a foul fest because Milwaukee has no size in the middle and 14 of his 38 came from the line (24 still ain't bad). 38 was his career high. A 6'6" forward isn't getting 38 against the size of Kentucky.

Jack will get his, fine. He's a volume, perimeter-only shooter that will probably attempt 15-20 threes Thursday (his most ever attempted was 20 and he hit 7...most hit this year was 10 out of 15, but that was against tiny IUPUI). Every team has had a guy "get his". We still win this one going away.
I think you're underestimating Townsend. He's not getting 38, we can agree on that, but no one said he is. He's really, really good. I watched 3 films yesterday, he's just solid. He'll pivot, re-pivot and finish or get fouled. Will he get blocked? Sure, I'd assume so. But he'll have a good game

Golke is a concern, we have guards that tend to ball-watch and he just needs a split second to get open and get his shot off. I expect Reeves to spend most of the game on him and to do a good job. I'm a bit worred about Gohlke's leg kick on his shot - I'll be pissed if refs fall for it and give him 3 FT's because of that BS. He's TOUGH though, reminds me of Fletcher McGee from Wofford a few years back.

Reactions: TheDude73
I live right down the road from Oakland.

A couple things their coach said about the matchup this morning.

“This was just about the best matchup we could hope for”

“They can’t score down low. When a mid manor goes up against someone like Kentucky that’s usually how they would win. But they don’t have the down low scoring so I really think we have a shot”

Can’t link it at the moment, but it was on 97.1 the ticket. You can go back and listen to it, 7:35 AM was the interview.

A couple other interesting quotes in there too.
IF they attempt to play M2M defense against us, I don't have a single concern in the world
If they play their patented matchup 1-3-1, that's a bit more of a concern. However, what I think you'll see, lob dunk lob dunk lob dunk. So sure, we don't post up very often and rely on Patrick Ewing or Hakeem to score via post moves. But Oakland isn't big, and the zone is pre-determined rotations - I think you'll see some dribble-drive that ends in lobs for dunks

Usually they aren’t that open about playing a program like Kentucky. It’s actually rare for a coach to say that much about an opponent like us I mean come on. It really shows Calipari has us at a really bad level and several are either not awake yet or just waking up.

“This is just about the best matchup we could hope for”.

This is OAKLAND talking about KENTUCKY in BASKETBALL. good lord.
How often do you watch press conferences from other 13+ seeds' coaches as they talk about playing a blue blood in the first round of the tournament? I'm guessing you don't.

And "best matchup we could hope for" isn't him saying "wow Kentucky sucks." It's him saying our style of play is one his team can succeed against. We could be 34-0 with the same style of play and he'd say the same exact thing.

I honestly cannot believe people are getting this upset about coach speak from an opposing coach during a local radio broadcast.

He has a valid point. Teams that are strictly jump shooters are more likely to have a bad night than those which have a strong post presence.

Sounds a little cocky to me. You mean to tell me this coach wouldn't have rather faced an injured Kansas or the possibility of a WCC team? He prefers to play a team with THE most NBA talent on it's roster, simply because we generally don't care to defend as we put up triple digit scores?

Careful what you wish for bud.. there's a very good chance Kentucky hangs 120 on you and you simply have no feasible way to beat that, regardless of what we do on defense.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
Usually they aren’t that open about playing a program like Kentucky. It’s actually rare for a coach to say that much about an opponent like us I mean come on. It really shows Calipari has us at a really bad level and several are either not awake yet or just waking up.

“This is just about the best matchup we could hope for”.

This is OAKLAND talking about KENTUCKY in BASKETBALL. good lord.
It’s not rare at all. EVERY coach preparing for Kentucky or any other blue blood puffs his chest out pregame to keep his team focused in light of what will very likely be a beat down.
Oats did it with Buffalo
Cooley did it with Providence. Tang called his shot with Kansas State. It should be rare when prepping for UK considering our history but no coach is going to speak publicly, on local radio no less, and not espouse confidence.

Last edited:
How often do you watch press conferences from other 13+ seeds' coaches as they talk about playing a blue blood in the first round of the tournament? I'm guessing you don't.

And "best matchup we could hope for" isn't him saying "wow Kentucky sucks." It's him saying our style of play is one his team can succeed against. We could be 34-0 with the same style of play and he'd say the same exact thing.

I honestly cannot believe people are getting this upset about coach speak from an opposing coach during a local radio broadcast.
lol, not many are upset. We are discussing it.

they are not upset, they are just trying to use it to attack Cal with
we have some on here attacking Cal is the only enjoyment they get in life
they found a few trolls that accept them

I just listened to the interview. Not at all what I expected based on the OP. He sounds like a really good guy actually.

He said he loved the match up first and foremost because it’s Kentucky and he knew that would mean prime time on CBS with their A team, so more publicity for his program. He also thinks Cal is right there with Izzo as the best coach in the country. Then he brought up the style of play — basically that we lean on the 3 point shot and don’t have a strong inside scoring threat (all factual) and that that style of play means they can focus on stopping the 3 and slowing the game down.

I see nothing wrong with anything he said

It's pretty amazing when coaches from Oakland and Kansas State openly look forward to playing your program.

The fear and reverence for Kentucky basketball is gone from opponents. In Cal's pursuit to dedicate his ultimate process to the NBA development of fringe pros (Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Livingston, Bradshaw, Ty Ty, etc.), he has forsaken making Kentucky truly great.
What in the world is this take?

You want an opposing coach to cower in fear? Fellate your team with verbal reverence? You'd make an awful coach lmao, of course you say you're ready for the match up, you love it, talk about your avenue to victory, even if it doesn't make sense.

I been trying to read all the posts from everyone about Oakland, their strengths, how they like this matchup and all the comments from everyone.
No where have I read how Oakland plans on stopping UK from scoring. From all 5 positions and when our subs come in, how they going to stop them?
What about depth? I checked this teams record, their roster and their big man is 6ft 6in. Now we have seen players like this duo damage to us in the past but if we can not lob over this man to a 7ft 2 in man, then we need to lose.
The guard that shoots so good for Oakland; OK, he can shoot but can he defend against multiple shooters as good or not better than himself?
Any team can win or lose from this point on. It all comes down to who shows up with the mindset, heart, determination of not being denied who will advance.
UK is not playing Oakland. UK is playing against themselves. You do not change anything at this point in time. You play to your strengths and force your style on the other team. You make them stop you.
If UK shows up with the mindset of "win each play", they will advance and do so by 15 points.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Townsend played well against Illinois, Ohio St and Michigan St. All much better defenses than KY. Yes he’s 6-6 but they will bring UKs big out on the perimeter. Townsend can handle the ball as well. I don’t see Edwards or Adou being able to guard him 1-1.

The key will be UK getting odd to a good start and scoring with high efficiency. They will have time to prepare. I think fans need to prepare for a much tighter game than you might think. We also don’t know how Rob and Reed and DJ will react to their 1st tourney game. Might take a bit to get settled in.

If anyone wants to bet against Kentucky in this one, let's make a deal. I'll spot you 10 points.

Reactions: flacat22
If I’m the opposing coach and speak with absolutely no filter, I might express my optimism like this:

“We feel good about our chances for these reasons:

1) Calipari is their coach and he’s washed.

2) Not only has the game passed Cal by, but he also doesn’t even start the players or give the most minutes to players who give his team the best chance to win. He’s going to start DJ Wagner, their worst guard! And Justin Edwards, an inconsistent, overrated, soft player; while two lottery picks sit on the bench! Thanks Cal! Oh, and we won’t have to deal with one of their best defenders and athletes, Adou Thiero, because Cal will play him for three minute stretches and give him 20 minutes max.

3) Cal hasn’t taught them to play defense nor adjusted to the fact that he has very few players that naturally play defense well. We won’t face a single zone and we’ll score all kinds of points on inbounds plays.

4) UK, especially since Cal flamed out against Wisconsin, just doesn’t scare us. I mean, Cal lost in the first round to St Peters and we are much better than they were.

5) Cal will inexplicably play Tre Mitchell 25 minutes and give him the green light to shoot threes. He’s been their worst player over the last month and seems more engaged in bench theatrics than he does in winning basketball games. So this is a huge plus for our team.”

You don’t want to be fully depending on 3’s falling when you’re in the NCAA tournament.
I've never seen a 3 pt shooter like Jack Gohlke. He can lead his defender around a pick and shoot the 3 while pivoting to face the basket. Basically he has started shooting before he sees the basket. The rim is out there somewhere, he figures. He'll adjust. When he's on, he's the 2nd coming of Steph Curry, but he's off enough to shoot in the low 30%. And Oakland has 2 other guys who are almost as prolific. And similarly accurate.

The funny thing is those 3 guys aren't their best scorers. Their best offensive player is their post player Trey Townsend.

When they're involved -- like when they play a famous team -- they punch above their weight. When they play teams of their own caliber, they're just in there playing pick up games. They punch above their weight, if they want, but from their record I'd say they don't very often.

I watched another game of their games yesterday. They are not all that fast or athletic but they are both athletic and fast enough. Pure speed is over-rated in basketball. (Think Luka Doncic or SGA.) Play the game with know how and poise and you can win. Particularly with a quick whistle negating the other team's athleticism and speed.

EDIT: The interesting thing about their frontline is that none of them are very tall. So they have all developed this little compensatory shot -- it has an arc like an upside-down capital U that goes up and over the block.

Last edited:
I live right down the road from Oakland.

A couple things their coach said about the matchup this morning.

“This was just about the best matchup we could hope for”

“They can’t score down low. When a mid manor goes up against someone like Kentucky that’s usually how they would win. But they don’t have the down low scoring so I really think we have a shot”

Can’t link it at the moment, but it was on 97.1 the ticket. You can go back and listen to it, 7:35 AM was the interview.

A couple other interesting quotes in there too.
Sounds like Big Z and Ugo better show up.

It’s like a no homework night. We are the easiest team in American to gameplan for, even for likes of Oakland. Truly unbelievable.
Yeah if I was Oaklands coach I would show my guys the last 8 mins and OT of the UK- St Peters game from 2022 and show them that 15 beating a 2 and get those guys believing just in case they have any doubt. That coach is speaking the right way though. Sometimes these coaches from smaller schools start speaking that "end of the season" talk like they've reached their goals by just getting to the tournament and so whatever happens, happens. I think players can sense it too but if you believe you can win and show up to play then you just might have a chance. I don't want to find out though. Lol. Also show em the UNC-Wilmighton score just to put it in the heads we done been mid-majored once this year. I'm actually starting to get a little bit worried. Just a tad...

I've never seen a 3 pt shooter like Jack Gohlke. He can lead his defender around a pick and shoot the 3 while pivoting to face the basket. Basically he has started shooting before he sees the basket. The rim is out there somewhere, he figures. He'll adjust. When he's on, he's the 2nd coming of Steph Curry, but he's off enough to shoot in the low 30%. And Oakland has 2 other guys who are almost as prolific. And similarly accurate.

The funny thing is those 3 guys aren't their best scorers. Their best offensive player is their post player Trey Townsend.

When they're involved -- like when they play a famous team -- they punch above their weight. When they play teams of their own caliber, they're just in there playing pick up games. They punch above their weight, if they want, but from their record I'd say they don't very often.

I watched another game of their games yesterday. They are not all that fast or athletic but they are both athletic and fast enough. Pure speed is over-rated in basketball. (Think Luka Doncic or SGA.) Play the game with know how and poise and you can win. Particularly with a quick whistle negating the other team's athleticism and speed.

EDIT: The interesting thing about their frontline is that none of them are very tall. So they have all developed this little compensatory shot -- it has an arc like an upside-down capital U that goes up and over the block.
You just described the Golden State Warriors.

The problem with Kentucky is as we know defense which leads to some close games. Unfortunately, with one or two exceptions we don't do well when it is a close game at the end. That seems a trademark for Cal. Unless a Harrison hits a last second shot, it has been typically bad news. When people talk about beating Carolina D.J. was playing better as was Tre. We just had our asses handed to us by a decent but not great A & M. So, if Cal reverts to his dribble drive b.s. over letting the National Freshman of the Year, our top Senior, and our superstar other Freshman shoot the ball any team may beat us. We have to play fast, shoot early in the shot clock, rebound, and if it's close and we play scared it will be over. Oakland or anyone else.

Jesus talk about being dramatic. First of all, the dude isn’t going to bow down to anyone. He likes the style of play match up. That’s all. If we had a big bruiser down low that could put up points in the post, his comments would have been different and you’d probably be bitching about how we play an archaic offense and Cal has ruined the fun style Kentucky should be known for.

Also the game hasn’t been played yet. Let’s see what this fool has to say when his team is slaughtered by 20+
We have a Bruiser... He'll b the one over there with the all the bubble gum. 😂

Lets be truthful, look back at the last 5-6 or more years. Great guards win championships, if a team has guards that can penetrate, pass or shoot you stretch the defense. You add to that guards who shoot the 3 over 40% it enhances your chance to advance. All teams have an Achilles heel, ours will be can Edwards be the Edwards we need him to be and of course porous defense. Give me great guards and I will take my chances.

The problem with Kentucky is as we know defense which leads to some close games. Unfortunately, with one or two exceptions we don't do well when it is a close game at the end. That seems a trademark for Cal. Unless a Harrison hits a last second shot, it has been typically bad news. When people talk about beating Carolina D.J. was playing better as was Tre. We just had our asses handed to us by a decent but not great A & M. So, if Cal reverts to his dribble drive b.s. over letting the National Freshman of the Year, our top Senior, and our superstar other Freshman shoot the ball any team may beat us. We have to play fast, shoot early in the shot clock, rebound, and if it's close and we play scared it will be over. Oakland or anyone else.
Get ready for 25 minutes of Tre Mitchell and 30 of DJ Wagner 😫

Townsend played well against Illinois, Ohio St and Michigan St. All much better defenses than KY. Yes he’s 6-6 but they will bring UKs big out on the perimeter. Townsend can handle the ball as well. I don’t see Edwards or Adou being able to guard him 1-1.

The key will be UK getting odd to a good start and scoring with high efficiency. They will have time to prepare. I think fans need to prepare for a much tighter game than you might think. We also don’t know how Rob and Reed and DJ will react to their 1st tourney game. Might take a bit to get settled in.
You’re acting like they are top 10 team in the nation. Is Oakland good yes, did they wi their conference yes, but Kentucky should win this game going away

they are not upset, they are just trying to use it to attack Cal with
we have some on here attacking Cal is the only enjoyment they get in life
they found a few trolls that accept them
Calipari gets his jollies attacking the fans. The fans get theirs attacking him. Seems fair enough to me.

Reactions: docholiday51
It’s part of a coached job, especially the underdog, to show confidence in and to his players.

Seen them live. Townsend will score a bunch on the inside. If their perimeters get hot watch out. I saw Goehlke hit 3s from everywhere with very little space to get his shot off. He will be able to shoot over UKs guards.
Who were they playing?

It's pretty amazing when coaches from Oakland and Kansas State openly look forward to playing your program.

The fear and reverence for Kentucky basketball is gone from opponents. In Cal's pursuit to dedicate his ultimate process to the NBA development of fringe pros (Boston, Edwards, Wagner, Livingston, Bradshaw, Ty Ty, etc.), he has forsaken making Kentucky truly great.
I listened to one of Oakland players yesterday and he said they had a great draw and totally expected to win a couple games. I remember a time when no team expected to beat UK. Thanks Cal. You have taken the perception of UK basketball to never thought of lows.........

Sounds like they are hyped for this game, hopefully the Cats come out early and match that energy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT