ADVERTISEMENT

No team in the last 17 years has shot the 3 as poorly as Dook is now and won it all

That 2012 UK team wasn't as good as Sagarin's data indicates:
FIFY

The fact remains, 2012 UK was one of the more dominant teams in the past 20 years. They rolled through a 40 game season only losing 2 games, and 1 of those on the road to a blue blood rival on a last second 25' prayer.

Having '13 UL on that list completely discredits it, btw. If you think '13 UL was better than '12, you need to put down the pipe. They had 2 losses to unranked teams, and barely beat our NIT squad.

Duke so far is one of the best 5 teams of the last 15 years. It's easy to cherry pick whatever stat you want to make a point. But a top 5 offense and top 5 defense usually leads to a Final 4. After that it's luck and match ups....

Yeah well 2009-10 Kentucky was a top 5 team of the last decade, but had the same flaw this years duke team has. And that Kentucky team was more talented than this duke team.

No fan base is more concerned about a team they play once every few years than UK fans are with Duke. That goes for any sport baring the Olympics .

Look everyone is hoping to find someway to downplay this Duke team. But the fact of the matter is this team is elite. There defense makes up for their inconsistent shooting. Add in the fact that no team can legitimately gaurd them in a man to man with barret and Zion are both on the floor, makes this stat all the more irrelevant.

The best way to beat Duke is to get barret or more importantly Zion off the court and in foul trouble. But with all that said The tournament is special any team can get hot for one game and take down a giant . rarely does the best team win it all.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Who cares??? Why is a UK blogger so enthralled with duke??? What’s everyone going to do when UT wins it all???

Be glad it wasn’t Duke, Kansas or Unc. It doesn’t bother me seeing Tennessee win it. Florida won 2 and they thought they would stay important too

In the end it goes back to teams not having a ton of control on defense when it comes to 3pt Fg%.

If Duke goes down, I bet it’ll be some team going nuts from 3

Gotta wonder if them shooting it so well aaginst us and to start the season delayed opposing coaches trying to blueprint them.

I know Zion and RJ are very difficult to stop.. but there are some clear weaknesses to Duke.. Gotta run some pack-line defense (and obviously score to keep them out of transition).

Gotta wonder if them shooting it so well aaginst us and to start the season delayed opposing coaches trying to blueprint them.

I know Zion and RJ are very difficult to stop.. but there are some clear weaknesses to Duke.. Gotta run some pack-line defense (and obviously score to keep them out of transition).

Your theory gets put to the test next week with Syracuse and Virginia.

Reactions: KMKAT

Not sure it would have mattered, really only one team they've played that they couldn't out-talent and that was Gonzaga. Next week UVA will be a test - probably the team most tailored to take away Duke's strengths.

Reactions: 1991greywildcat
Don't know the Fab Five's pct. from three but when they beat the Cats in the semis in the early nineties they didn't make a single 3 in that game.

Duke’s road record may end up being .500 come tourney time. There are some teams that won’t allow K to intimidate the refs like at Cameron.

Even Boeheim can pull a rabbit out once in a while.

Yeah well 2009-10 Kentucky was a top 5 team of the last decade, but had the same flaw this years duke team has. And that Kentucky team was more talented than this duke team.
Duke is lower on free throws than that team!

There’s not many teams that can make 2s like Duke this season either. Lol
Yep, and that's the experiment they're running. Can a team be insanely inefficient from behind the 3pt line but make up for it because it opens the floor for driving lanes and leads to an insanely high percentage on 2 point shots?

It's an interesting experiment, honestly, especially since they have a player (Zion) putting together the most efficient shooting season in college basketball history.

The Syracuse loss makes me wonder if straight zone isn't the answer (not a good one for UK, given Cal's preferences).

FIFY

The fact remains, 2012 UK was one of the more dominant teams in the past 20 years. They rolled through a 40 game season only losing 2 games, and 1 of those on the road to a blue blood rival on a last second 25' prayer.

Having '13 UL on that list completely discredits it, btw. If you think '13 UL was better than '12, you need to put down the pipe. They had 2 losses to unranked teams, and barely beat our NIT squad.
Exactly. No weaknesses. Could beat you every which way.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Yep, and that's the experiment they're running. Can a team be insanely inefficient from behind the 3pt line but make up for it because it opens the floor for driving lanes and leads to an insanely high percentage on 2 point shots?

It's an interesting experiment, honestly, especially since they have a player (Zion) putting together the most efficient shooting season in college basketball history.

The Syracuse loss makes me wonder if straight zone isn't the answer (not a good one for UK, given Cal's preferences).

That's what made Nova so great last season..........the combination. Yeah they made 40% of their 3s.....but also close to 60% on 2s.

FWIW with Duke the overall eff FG% still ranks 19th.......and they are 1st in offensive rebounding. So I guess we'll find out if they are gonna miss that 3 point shooting or not.

I'm actually of the opinion that if Duke losses, it will be on defense not offense. But who knows

Reactions: AgainstTheWind
That's what made Nova so great last season..........the combination. Yeah they made 40% of their 3s.....but also close to 60% on 2s.

FWIW with Duke the overall eff FG% still ranks 19th.......and they are 1st in offensive rebounding. So I guess we'll find out if they are gonna miss that 3 point shooting or not.

I'm actually of the opinion that if Duke losses, it will be on defense not offense. But who knows
I'd say Villanova was a more standard example, though. They could really, really shoot from deep, and proved it over and over again.

Duke has shown none of that, but is trying to get the same benefits by taking a lot of 3's.

It's not really a new idea, but Duke is pushing it pretty far. Pitino at UK his first few years demanded that everyone be willing to fire from 3, and that resulted in guys like Gimel Martinez gunning away- the downside, though Gimel's set-shot resulted in not terrible 39/115 career 3 pt shooting.

The upside was that guys with almost no quickness, like John Pelphrey and Deron Feldhaus, managed to score on drives at a really surprising rate.

IMO, the key to beating Duke is get Zion in foul trouble and out of the game. Get back on defense to eliminate transition points. Go zone, and turn Barrett into a jump shooter.

Of course, getting Zion in foul trouble is not easy, but hopefully it happens in the NCAA tourney

IMO, the key to beating Duke is get Zion in foul trouble and out of the game. Get back on defense to eliminate transition points. Go zone, and turn Barrett into a jump shooter.

Of course, getting Zion in foul trouble is not easy, but hopefully it happens in the NCAA tourney

Or any of the big 3 in foul trouble.

That's the thing about Duke and being heavily reliant on a few players for the bulk of their production

I hope they run into a team that plays zone and shoots lights out! Put them out just to hear espn cry!

I do think that is a major problem for them, but I never pay attention to stats like that. No team has done this or that. Until one does.

UNC napalmed that thesis though. As did others. One case is sufficient for evidence, however. Here it is. How does one attest for tournament shooting when it matters most? Namely, the 2017 UNC championships team that shot 4/27 from three in the title game (15%); 8/21 (38%) in the semis; 3/15 in the elite eight (20%); 9/24 in Sweet Sixteen (37%); 5/17 in round two (29%); 8/22 in first round (36%).

That's 37/126 in their title run for 29%. That's also 15/63 in the Elite Eight, Final Four, and title game combined. 24%

Tournament stats matter most. Duke's shooting may haunt them, but having the two best players in the country and another top 5-7 player in the nation likely offsets such a weakness.
UNCheat actually lost more than once in reality though. Atrocious shooting can be overcome with equally atrocious officiating in your favor. How many of those missed 3's did they rebound by going over the back I wonder?

I bet no team in the last 17 years will get the combination of bracket and officiating this Duke team will have either.
There might be16 Duke teams that have a good argument for that one. Don't discount the Tarhole cheats either.

They are making almost 60% of their 2s tho.
They don't turn it over and they have the 3rd best offensive rebounding rate.

Honestly if they get knocked off it's not gonna be because of their offense or inability to hit 3s.

What will knock them out however is if a team happens to go nuts from 3 against them. Like Gonzaga did.

This is dumb. If they get knocked out, it will be because of their inability to hit 3’s. Teams will pack the lanes, and dare them to make shots. And Duke will no longer be in Cameron Indoor. You best believe that’s how that team will be played. It’s not like a zone team beat Duke on their home floor or nothing.

Defense and selfishness between future NBA players trying to show off on the big stage of the tournament. If you remember when we were beat by West Virginia in it was because we settled for "3's" vs imposing our will and playing the game in the paint. IF Duke gets beat it will be this combined with lack of defensive discipline.

This is dumb. If they get knocked out, it will be because of their inability to hit 3’s. Teams will pack the lanes, and dare them to make shots. And Duke will no longer be in Cameron Indoor. You best believe that’s how that team will be played. It’s not like a zone team beat Duke on their home floor or nothing.

Please......it's not as if they aren't going to see zone during the regular season and it's not as if they aren't STILL having success.

Let's not put too much on that game. They were without Jones for the majority of the game and without Reddish the entire game.

Actually if anything that game proves my point.......they shot 20% from 3..........hit 9 of 43............yet they still managed to score over 1 point per possession.

most teams that go 9 for 43 from 3.......wouldn't even sniff OT that game. But they didn't turn it over and made 60% of their 2s.

And also in that game Syracuse shot 44% from 3 and made 11 threes.

So like I said, it's about the team that goes crazy from 3 that's going to beat them. Their two losses......Gonzaga over 50% from 3 and Cuse 44%.

Reactions: tw3301
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT