ADVERTISEMENT

No team in the last 17 years has shot the 3 as poorly as Dook is now and won it all

That’s the type of thing that knocks you out in the e8.

Duke played their best game the last decade against Kentucky this year.

Cam reddish is definitely the square trying to fit in a round hole. Another poster said it and I agree. Those 3 are going to be thinking nba draft come March.

That’s the type of thing that knocks you out in the e8.

Duke played their best game the last decade against Kentucky this year.

Cam reddish is definitely the square trying to fit in a round hole. Another poster said it and I agree. Those 3 are going to be thinking nba draft come March.
And hopefully they hit a Mercer or Lehigh again that out shoots them!

Of course the difference is none of those teams had the freak known as Zion shooitng 68 percent from the field while averaging 21 and 10.

Zion's insane efficiency inside the arc makes up for a lot of misses outside it.

Who cares??? Why is a UK blogger so enthralled with duke??? What’s everyone going to do when UT wins it all???

UNC napalmed that thesis though. As did others. One case is sufficient for evidence, however. Here it is. How does one attest for tournament shooting when it matters most? Namely, the 2017 UNC championships team that shot 4/27 from three in the title game (15%); 8/21 (38%) in the semis; 3/15 in the elite eight (20%); 9/24 in Sweet Sixteen (37%); 5/17 in round two (29%); 8/22 in first round (36%).

That's 37/126 in their title run for 29%. That's also 15/63 in the Elite Eight, Final Four, and title game combined. 24%

Tournament stats matter most. Duke's shooting may haunt them, but having the two best players in the country and another top 5-7 player in the nation likely offsets such a weakness.

Last edited:
That just tells me if you play zone against Duke and you got a good Zone you'll beat them and Syracuse going to beat their ass

* I nailed this prediction

Last edited:
Reactions: CatfanMike47
Duke so far is one of the best 5 teams of the last 15 years. It's easy to cherry pick whatever stat you want to make a point. But a top 5 offense and top 5 defense usually leads to a Final 4. After that it's luck and match ups....

Duke so far is one of the best 5 teams of the last 15 years. It's easy to cherry pick whatever stat you want to make a point. But a top 5 offense and top 5 defense usually leads to a Final 4. After that it's luck and match ups....
They aren’t even first place in both polls. That’s complete hyperbole at this point. Let the season play out before you anoint your team one of the GOATs.

It's actually luck and match-ups most of the tournament. Plenty of champions, including the '92 team that helped solidify your bandwagon support of Duke, won in nail biters before the Final Four.

They are making almost 60% of their 2s tho.
They don't turn it over and they have the 3rd best offensive rebounding rate.

Honestly if they get knocked off it's not gonna be because of their offense or inability to hit 3s.

What will knock them out however is if a team happens to go nuts from 3 against them. Like Gonzaga did.

17 years is an extremely odd number to pick. I assumed they'd pick that if the winner 18 years ago (2001 Duke) shot this poorly and won - but that Duke team shot .385 so it's longer than 17 years in a row.

Guy got tired of looking?

Terrible three point shooting right now. Really it’s on Reddish... he was expected to be a decent enough three point shooter, but has struggled as bad as any freshman I can remember, given the expectations.

As someone mentioned, Zion’s efficiency makes up for a LOT... hence the KenPom ranking. I’d be curious to see if any team has ever been 3rd in AdjO shooting that percentage from three?

I expect it to go up a bit, as I expect Reddish to pull it together. If not, that will be a problem.

I’m actually NOT that worried about zone... Barrett is good at the free throw line attacking a zone, and Zion might be the best I’ve ever seen there... his quickness, long first step, long arms, and ball control around the rim, coupled with good passing, makes him SUPER dangerous there.

Averages 32% and shot 46% against us. That game was a statistical anomaly for both teams. Not to mention, Jack White came out playing like Hakeem the Dream. Largely because PJ Washington is the second coming of Houdini.

3pt
Duke - 32% - 46%
UK - 35% - 23%

FG
Duke - 49% - 54%
UK - 49% - 44%

This thread will go 3 pages. There are three pukies here. If we don’t get to play them again I hope anyone beats them before we would have a shot. Every year there are two teams I root for in March. U.K. and whoever is playing puke

One of the 5 best teams in the last 15 years? Keep in mind the team that wins the title isnt always the best team either.

2012 UK
2015 UK
2009 UK
Back to back Champ UF teams
And the Hansbrough lead UNC teams off the top of my head.

Of course there is a good chance it drops as they lay more games. Then their toast come tourney time and the right team.

Could very well be, you always take the field because the tourneys a crapshoot. As someone else said though they’re shooting like crap in games and still winning. It’s more so whether the other team gets hot than if Duke shoots 20% from three.

They don’t shoot well from outside. They are also somewhat feast or famine on defense. Lots of steals and blocks. Mostly feast.

The famine comes when someone (only Gonzaga so far) is able to be disciplined enough to run their stuff.

They could start running into that kind of discipline by the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. They are really good, and deserve to be the favorite. But if the other teams hold up, they will cease to be heavy favorites about halfway through.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Best team in the last 15 years? Dukes team the last two years were arguably better than this years team, people need to remind themselves how bad college basketball really is this year. Now in saying that, Duke definitely has a chance to win it all regardless of their 3 pt shooting ability. There are major talent discrepancies when they face off against most teams this year.

One of the 5 best teams in the last 15 years? Keep in mind the team that wins the title isnt always the best team either.

2012 UK
2015 UK
2009 UK
Back to back Champ UF teams
And the Hansbrough lead UNC teams off the top of my head.
That 2012 UK team wasn't as good as folks on this site think:

Let’s see if ut and rick can even get to the 3rd week first.
Well they have enough trouble making it to the 2nd week at this point. Their MO has been to have a really good regular season team, then lose in the 1st/2nd round as a 2/3 seed.

IMO, using logic by the above statement.................................................
#1. 2011/12 KENTUCKY
#2. 2018/19 KANSAS (Beat Tennessee neutral floor 87-81)
#3. 2018/19 TENNESSEE (Beat Gonzaga neutral floor 76-73)
#4. 2018/19 GONZAGA (Beat Duke neutral floor 89-87)
#5. 2018/19 DUKE
[winking][winking][winking][winking][winking]

Could very well be, you always take the field because the tourneys a crapshoot. As someone else said though they’re shooting like crap in games and still winning. It’s more so whether the other team gets hot than if Duke shoots 20% from three.
Lets be real though. They have played 1 road game against a bad team and their competition hasn't been too great since getting beat by the Zags.
IND
Stetson
Hartford
Yale
Princeton
TT-I believe is over ranked, but we will have to wait to see, only ranked team.
Clemson-Showing to be really bad. 10-5.
@ Wake

Lets see what they do in real road games and against top competition night in and night out before we worry about what they do in the tourny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT