ADVERTISEMENT

No clue if this is true

Wholleeeee lotta money in that SMU program. Cals mentor Larry Brown also did a little stint there as his sunset tour. SMU just joined the ACC

I didn’t say I’d expect him to make a final 4 but if he did it wouldn’t necessarily surprise me as a one off, caught lighting in a bottle result.

I also don’t think he’d have that same result here.

But to your question, bc sometimes a fresh start can be good for all involved. He’s hit a point where he has so much animosity towards the fans, UK sports media, etc that it’s almost like he refuses to play the lineups and players he should if it’s been publically called for. On top of that, the boosters don’t support him like they use to here and college sports are all about deep pockets. Wherever he went next, the boosters would be all in on him for 3-5 years and ecstatic about pulling in top classes and the media hoopla that comes with it…the things that we are all numb to bc we ultimately know it’s irrelevant. Thirdly, “success” is relevant to expectations. His success is done at UK where we expect a bare minimum of E8s and maintaining our status as the winningest program. But relative success to a program that would be happy with top 3 finishes in their conference and s16s- ceiling of E8….he can do that. The first round exits likely aren’t a forever thing just as the run the first 5 years wasn’t sustainable.

The relationship here isn’t salvageable and his priorities aren’t what they should be as the man in charge of maintaining the greatest tradition in CBB. But he can do his song and dance somewhere else that would be happy for some positive attention and get excited of draft picks and recruits bc it’s new to them…if he kept getting top recruiting classes, 1 of the 5-6 years he likely gets an E8 just from an odds standpoint…but that’s not enough here if the other seasons are trash. We need an E8 average like our historical data implies

You had said he would likely make a FF so was just going off that.

I’m not sure the media and boosters at Michigan would be all in on him. Michigan fans don’t want him and he’d be coming to the job after being fired/ “resigning” At UK where he’s had horrid results and National media guys calling him out for being awful and a laughing stock in tiktok, Instagram, twitter etc with memes and the like.

I think you may be on to something if this was 2017 or something. But not now. The media and folks across the landscape finally see he ONLY is able to recruit well. They know he can’t coach well. Even if he went with the best starting lineups he’d still have bad results because he’s an inferior coach. He can’t manage in game. He’s not able to adjust defenses or offenses.

At the end of the day he’d have the same results there that he’s had here. “Exciting” recruiting classes and subpar yearly performance because at the end of the day he’s still the coach. Regardless of where.

I get what you’re saying but any “big ish” named school (like Michigan) wouldn’t be balls to the wall excited (fans, media etc) to bring him on as he’s sort notorious now.

Reactions: EliteBlue
But they also have to pay the salary of a new coach during that time. Which, they aren't getting a good one for less than around 8 million per year. So, that now means you're paying around 14 million at least in HC salaries annually. That's not counting assistant salaries, taxes and other incentives.

Now, what happens if you do all that and the next guy is no better or worse, then in 3 years you have to fire him as well, and you're again stuck with Cal's remaining buyout amount, the next coaches buyout and potentially paying a 3rd HC.

Some of you don't seem to have a concept of costs.
We need to force him to take another offer, that is our best shot at getting rid of him. Making the buyout not matter due to another job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT