ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban Retiring?

Go live in his house at Captiva.

Be an interesting hire. Greg Byrne was an assistant ad at UK a few years under barnhart when he came in. That connection is how they hired Bohannon in baseball a few years ago. From his time with John Cohen
I actually coached Greg Byrne's son in youth basketball one year when he was here. He and former DC Steve Brown's son's were on my team. . . . not expecting a call but there is that connection

Could u imagine the Alabama fans’ reaction if they hear Stoops was offered the job? You thought the A&M people rebelled, it would be an all out war in Bama. lol. I hope they offer bourbon boy Stoops. That would be priceless.,

Ooh, I smell a transfer portal free-for-all.

Might this mean all that elite Bama talent is now up for grabs?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Bama fans gonna be in mourning tonight. You can’t just replace Nick Saban. Obviously the school is probably the best football school ever so they will get a great replacement but I doubt they have 16 straight 10 win seasons and 12 confrence titles on the horizon. Not even counting those 7 Natties.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Quite likely the best to ever do it. A shame that he couldn’t quite manage to go out on top, but he leaves a legacy that will be pretty much impossible to follow regardless of who the next hire is.

As far as names I’ve seen come up in early scuttlebutt for replacements, I’m personally higher on DeMeco Ryans than I am some of the suggestions like Kiffin and Dabo, but I’m not sure how interested he’d be in leaving an NFL job where he’s overachieving so far rather than being on the hot seat. Lanning would probably be my preference of the college coaches being mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Dang! I'm old enough to remember Bear's last seasons. Was he better than him? I think so. Probably the best coach in my lifetime. They probably throw the vault at Kiffin. Guys a heck of a coach.
I have lived in Alabama since 78. I never thought anyone could replace the Bear in Alabama folklore. Bear is still held to a high standard, but, Saban has achieved God status. He bought Alabama back from oblivion and his winning of Championships is legendary. Pitino has the same chance at UK, but, we know the story.
Bama fans probably losing their minds. Not going to be easy to replace.
Actually alot of fans here wanted him to retire, they felt he lost his fire. Coaches like Saban I think could handle NIL it was the portal that he hated.

Quite likely the best to ever do it. A shame that he couldn’t quite manage to go out on top, but he leaves a legacy that will be pretty much impossible to follow regardless of who the next hire is.

As far as names I’ve seen come up in early scuttlebutt for replacements, I’m personally higher on DeMeco Ryans than I am some of the suggestions like Kiffin and Dabo, but I’m not sure how interested he’d be in leaving on NFL job where he’s overachieving so far rather than being on the hot seat. Lanning would probably be my preference of the college coaches being mentioned.
DeMeco Ryan’s is in the playoffs and has a great QB, he’s not going anywhere. He will be a hot commodity in the NFL.

Reactions: CrimsonCats

As far as names I’ve seen come up in early scuttlebutt for replacements, I’m personally higher on DeMeco Ryans than I am some of the suggestions like Kiffin and Dabo, but I’m not sure how interested he’d be in leaving on NFL job where he’s overachieving so far rather than being on the hot seat. Lanning would probably be my preference of the college coaches being mentioned.
Dabo has no chance unless he is Plan B. I think they would take Sarkesian first but he ain't leaving Texas so I think Kiffin is who they will go after first. You got to remember you have to deal with the Press and the fanbase.

Does Bama back up the Brinks truck to Kirby Smart now?
We’d take him in a heartbeat if that was actually possible. He’s a Georgia alum though. I really doubt he’s going anywhere unless it’s to try his hand at the NFL.

Georgia will match any offer, and why would Kirby want to move when he has Georgia rolling?
Money does strange things to people. Saban had LSU rolling and he could have stayed and won there too. I know it’s not the same thing but people move, maybe Kirby always wanted to be a head coach of Bama.

I don’t think Kiffin can thrive on a stage that large. A leopard doesn’t change its spots. I always feel he’s near an implosion. I would certainly think he’s on the list, though.

Question: What happens with all of the portal transfers Ole Miss just brought in if Kiffin leaves for Alabama? Will they have to stay at Ole Miss or could they perhaps be up for grabs again?

Could u imagine the Alabama fans’ reaction if they hear Stoops was offered the job? You thought the A&M people rebelled, it would be an all out war in Bama. lol. I hope they offer bourbon boy Stoops. That would be priceless.,
Stoops has a better chance of going to the Titans. But that would be funny.

Georgia will match any offer, and why would Kirby want to move when he has Georgia rolling?
Maybe you’re right, but I’m not sure if Georgia can match any offer including endorsements and such. Football is big in Georgia but it’s huge in Alabama and Kirby spent many years there.
If He doesn’t take it, it will be pretty certain he’ll never leave Georgia for any other college job as long as he keeps winning

Nonsense. He's not anywhere on their radar. But to play along, how dumb would anyone have to be to think UK is too good for a coach that left for Bama? Some of our football fans are so dumb.

Lanning might not want to leave a great situation at Oregon, but yes that should be the first call.
He seems to check all the boxes. Been a part of an elite sec program and has fielded good teams at a high level at Oregon. Also just has the feel of one of those guys. Kiffen has the balls it’s just whether they want his playfulness around there

Money does strange things to people. Saban had LSU rolling and he could have stayed and won there too. I know it’s not the same thing but people move, maybe Kirby always wanted to be a head coach of Bama.
True, but Smart is a Georgia native and alum.

Will be fascinating to watch who they hire. Yeah you don't want to follow a legend....but c'mon, Bama is 1 of the 4 or 5 all time programs. And they can for damn sure still attract the best talent and win national titles.

Yes his reputation has taken a hit lately but don't discount Dabo. Former player. Won 2 national titles - over Saban. His act is CEO who supervises great coordinators....Bama can pick the best.

why hang it up now, this was his best shot, better than next yr. Kirby returns with Beck, Kelly has shown he can get LSU playing Elie, Texas & Ewers comes to the SEC. And yea Milroe ain't that guy, and never will be, but no improvements available.

I think the whole A&M fiasco made him completely untouchable for any elite school or sec schools. That episode put it out there in the faces of other fan bases that it’s not ‘he’s done solid at ky’ it was ‘we can’t hire a guy that’s 30-55 in conference’. He would have to go prove otherwise for that to change. All the other fan bases are way more aware of that now.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Does Bama back up the Brinks truck to Kirby Smart now?

Kirby is a pretty sharp guy, anything is possible but I don't think he wants to be the coach to follow Saban. And UGA will match anything Bama offers. Add that to Kirby's wife's family is about 30 minutes down the road.

No idea if this is true, hope it isn't, but rumor out that Mrs Terri is sick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT