ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban Retiring?

Good for Saban. He could have very well hung around too long. Game is changing I don't think he's interested. Kudos to him for not dragging things out and realizing that it's probably best to hand it over to the next regime while things are still in good order.

As far as the list...pretty much chalk...

Dan Lanning - top of every list college and pro most likely. Saban and Bama DNA can recruit with the best of them. Makes the most sense. Oregon is a legit top tier gig though, and Phil Knight can match any amount of money. Does he want to follow the GOAT and worry about a hot seat if he doesn't win a title in year 2?

Lane Kiffin - Can do it from a coaching, X O, recruiting, etc... everything football and on field related. Is he the right fit for everything off field though? He can very easily rub people the wrong way.

Sark - Kind like the guys above, has the resume, cred, acumen. Does he want to deal with the pressure when he can make just as much if not more money at Texas?

They could raid the Michigan staff...that DC and OC will be sought after. Offer those guys the bank once Harbaugh bounces.

Urban Meyer - You have to at least consider it. He's a multiple title winning coach. He's kind of like the Pitino of CFB. Some baggage, got an ego, might bring some scrutiny...but damn he can recruit, coach, and win seemingly with any team in any conference.

There's a lot of moving and shaking in the NFL, they could look that way. A number of good HCs and even up and coming coordinators who could do it. However, generally speaking, the NFL guys prefer to stay in the NFL. Don't like all the extra that comes with CFB.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Oregon has lost 3 of their last 4 coaches to other jobs and fired the other one. For some reason, they have had a helluva time keeping coaches and have had 5 coaches in the past 11 seasons. They have got to do whatever they can to keep Lanning.

Hmm, I bet he is quitting because it was getting harder and harder to hire great assistant coaches. Nobody wants to sign up fir a 72 yr old who could be gone any minute. His OC hire last yr was very underwealming.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
FWIW, when a coach leaves it opens a special 30 day portal window for players. Plus any recruits who signed in Dec but hasn't attended class can opt out of their LOI.

Hmm, I bet he is quitting because it was getting harder and harder to hire great assistant coaches. Nobody wants to sign up fir a 72 yr old who could be gone any minute. His OC hire last yr was very underwealming.

Plus for a decade or so, he replaced both coordinators (and some position coaches) every single season. I doubt any program ever had attrition at that rate. Makes his run all the more incredible.

Add in the portal and nil and it makes sense he was just done

Plus for a decade or so, he replaced both coordinators (and some position coaches) every single season. I doubt any program ever had attrition at that rate. Makes his run all the more incredible.

Add in the portal and nil and it makes sense he was just done
He is 72, that is all the reason anyone needs

Reactions: maxp12
Stoops to Bama in 3,2,1 GO!! Kidding aside it’s going to be harder for Bama to stay at the Top with all the changes in College Football.

Old school coaches like Saban don’t want to fool with nil offers to teenagers or the transfer portal turnstile in their 70s.

Last edited:
Just saw where the number 9 player in the country decommitted from the 2024 class. Wonder if Rico Scott might be interested now.

I don’t think Dabo will take it, but if he did Clemson would probably just crumble away, to the point neither the SEC or B1G would want them.

I’m thinking it’s between Kiffin or Norvell. The former because he’s already been there, the latter because he’s so young and would probably jump at the chance to get out of the ACC.

Hearing it's Lanning. Supposedly in Tuscaloosa today.... Sources say and all that. LOL.

I’m guessing several will be vetted including Kirby Kiffin and Lanning but Norvell will be the hire in the end. No one really wants to follow the GOAT.

I’m guessing several will be vetted including Kirby Kiffin and Lanning but Norvell will be the hire in the end. No one really wants to follow the GOAT.
Franklins my second choice bc he wants to win a Natty and it ain’t happening at PSU

He was an Overtime away from playing in the National Championship game......nothing for him to hang his head over. We wish we'd have had Miltoe this past season....
In all honesty, for him, I wish he would have won it before retiring, he deserves it

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Dabo isn't down with NIL and that's going to hurt his chances. Getting Kirby would be a coup but Georgia will fight like he'll to keep him.
I’d argue UGA is a better job if your Kirby. Yes Alabama has the tradition but UGA has some significant advantages in recruiting base and I’m guessing money. For Kirby I think he’d be crazy to leave Athens.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Whoever they get Alabama going drop atleast one notch for what... A season?

Or could the 80s-90s Alabama come back?

Bama is certainly hiring Lane Kiffin, right?
I certainly hope so for 1 main reason. UT fans hate Kiffin for leaving them high and dry for USC like they were a mid major stepping stone. UT fans also hate Bama because they have a serious little brother complex for Bama. So putting a coach they despise, with a program they despise and the 2 will then dominate them, it will make their heads explode. This will result in great joy for me. 😂😂

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT