ADVERTISEMENT

NHL playoffs

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
I imagine not a lot of hockey fans in KY or on here. I'm not a big one, but.... the Hurricanes is our only PRO team in the Triangle (if you don't count AAA Durham Bulls), so I try to follow them, and have watched most of the Canes playoff games this spring (& try to go to at least 1 game every year).
Last night was game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals, Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Panthers (game just 2 miles from where I live).
Game went into OT last night. In playoffs they do full 20-min period OTs (regulation is 3 20-min periods). Last night's game Florida won 3-2 in the final seconds of the 4th OT. I think they said it was the 6th longest NHL game ever (I guess they used to play until a winner in regular season, but now they have a much more abbreviated OT then shoot-out). That is like they played 2 and 1/3 games in one night.
To put it in perspective:
- MLB game is 9 innings; so the equivalent would be a 21 inning game
- NBA game is 48-min with 5min OT; so equivalent would be a 12-13 OT game
- NFL game is 60-min currently with 10min OT; so equivalent would be an 8 OT game

One of the Canes players, it was his first game back after getting a broken hand a month ago. Welcomed back with a marathon game. I guess he could still skate and do cardio w/ broken hand.

Fellow Caniac here (north of Charlotte). Last night sucked. Bobrovsky is stopping everything and Florida just looks faster.

Interesting fact, after 6 OT's, the official rules apparently call for a second puck to be introduced to the game. This hasn't happpened since 1936. I thought they would just go to 4v4.

Either way, tomorrow is a must win. Not having Svetch and Patches is finally starting to cost us.

Reactions: roguemocha
Going to be a great series. Both teams are similar, both play very fast and like to hit. Bob has been amazing this run. Go Cats

Fellow Caniac here (north of Charlotte). Last night sucked. Bobrovsky is stopping everything and Florida just looks faster.

Interesting fact, after 6 OT's, the official rules apparently call for a second puck to be introduced to the game. This hasn't happpened since 1936. I thought they would just go to 4v4.

Either way, tomorrow is a must win. Not having Svetch and Patches is finally starting to cost us.
I was worried our week long layoff after ending Devils series in 5 games would hurt us. And the timing was off, lots of turnovers and icing. Last night/this morning should have knocked the rust off.
It's definitely tough to lose your only all-star.

But how in the F*** would 2 pucks work? I like 4v4, that makes much more sense.

Yes, tomorrow is a must win!!

Someone was pulling your leg regarding the overtime rules. There is no rule that calls for a second puck.

Reactions: chitown87
The NHL was mad when Russia and the Ukraine went to war and decided to take it out on the Greatest hockey player ever. They had the refs screw the Capitals the last 3rd of the season to make them miss the playoffs. Otherwise they would be up 3-0 in the conference finals.

The NHL was mad when Russia and the Ukraine went to war and decided to take it out on the Greatest hockey player ever. They had the refs screw the Capitals the last 3rd of the season to make them miss the playoffs. Otherwise they would be up 3-0 in the conference finals.
The NHL can’t do anything to Gretzky. He’s been retired for years.

Reactions: UKdondee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT