ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA prez on possible NIL reforms

A clearing house? Based on NCAA SOP, it will take a year minimum to get approval to do anything.

Things seem bad for us, because we weren't maximizing our use of NIL. CCC seems to have changed his mind on that (too late for this year, and likely him... but we'll see).
But don't take it out on the kids... the NCAA just wants to get back to some semblance of a 'ametuer' servitude-based model. The kids have been freed... the teams have been freed... the monopoly busted up.
No one needs to know what these kids are receiving, they aren't state or federal employees... it isn't tax money feeding their NIL deals. The NCAA should just keep out of it. Their sole function should be to run national tournaments.

No player of any kind should make more than 25,000 a year. Only men's college football and basketball should make more then 8,000 a season.

Simple.
CCC made $5.4 million in 2012... AD made room, board, books, tuition, and cost of attendance over that.
CCC isn't making $10 million/year now, w/o AD in 2012. More than likely, he doesn't even have a job.
Pay the kids what the market will bear for their name, image, and likeness. It will eventually all straighten itself out.

Lol. I guess the NCAA wants more antitrust litigation. They couldn’t manage an automatic car wash.
Merely creating a clearinghouse won’t cause any antitrust issues.

Now whether the NCAA should do this is a valid question, but not because of antitrust concerns.

NCAA can't do anything about it. Telling 3rd parties how to spend their advertising income is WAY outside their jurisdiction.

It's also ridiculous to compare NBA contracts to nil. Compare NBA sponsorships to it, because that's what's comparable, and NBA players don't disclose that to anybody they don't want except the tax man.

Exactly. That is the only narrative here. NCAA created a vacuum through inaction, NIL filled that vacuum, and now the NCAA is going to get cut in. Just crazy…

To paraphrase Ike, we have a College Sports Industrial Complex….
I'm not sure what y'all expected them to do.

NCAA trying to figure out how to get their cut.
Schools should NOT be in the business of handling NIL..Make the players do their own fundraising. The NCAA and congress should make away for NIL to be done without schools being involved. Also, athletes should not receive financial aid AND NIL money. That should end free agency in recruiting.

Reactions: chroix
Create a framework to play players 10 years ago when Cal was telling them too. It’s one reason Emmert got pissed at Cal and in my opinion, kept Kanter ineligible.
Weren't they in the middle of litigation trying to hang on to as much amateurism as possible? As we've all witnessed, things were better with at least some semblance of amateurism.

Reactions: KFuqua
Weren't they in the middle of litigation trying to hang on to as much amateurism as possible? As we've all witnessed, things were better with at least some semblance of amateurism.

They stopped being amateurs when sports became billion dollar businesses. Everybody was getting rich off of it but the athletes that were generating the money. That's a terrible system.

They stopped being amateurs when sports became billion dollar businesses. Everybody was getting rich off of it but the athletes that were generating the money. That's a terrible system.
Perhaps but look at the mess we have now, its worse.

• Love
They’ve opened Pandora’s box. There’s no going back now.

The real question is: "When did they open Pandora's Box?" It certainly wasn't recent. I think it happened when coaches started getting paid more than any other university employee and the money was rolling in.

Reactions: rabbitTown
The real question is: "When did they open Pandora's Box?" It certainly wasn't recent. I think it happened when coaches started getting paid more than any other university employee and the money was rolling in.
It’s been open ever since college athletics first began. The stuff going on today still isn’t much compared to the first 50-60 years of college athletics.

In 1896, Fielding Yost played football for WVU. After losing a game to LaFayette, he immediately transferred to LaFayette and played for them just one week later in a game against Penn. He then transferred back to WVU for the rest of the season. He then went on to coach Michigan for 25 years and won 6 national titles.

In 1938, the Pitt Panthers voted to go on strike and skip that year’s Rose Bowl. They were demanding that the university provide cash bonuses for the trip (Pitt was already paying them monthly), allow the full team to travel and provide them a paid vacation. The school refused so the players refused to play and Alabama ended up playing instead. Pitt ultimately decided to move away from a professional model towards an amateur one and faded from national prominence for decades after that.

College sports have been this way from the very start.

It’s been open ever since college athletics first began. The stuff going on today still isn’t much compared to the first 50-60 years of college athletics.

In 1896, Fielding Yost played football for WVU. After losing a game to LaFayette, he immediately transferred to LaFayette and played for them just one week later in a game against Penn. He then transferred back to WVU for the rest of the season. He then went on to coach Michigan for 25 years and won 6 national titles.

In 1938, the Pitt Panthers voted to go on strike and skip that year’s Rose Bowl. They were demanding that the university provide cash bonuses for the trip (Pitt was already paying them monthly), allow the full team to travel and provide them a paid vacation. The school refused so the players refused to play and Alabama ended up playing instead. Pitt ultimately decided to move away from a professional model towards an amateur one and faded from national prominence for decades after that.

College sports have been this way from the very start.

Thanks! I didn't know any of that. I did think that all this stuff was going on early on but just didn't think it was THAT blatant and THAT early!

Better for whom? There are a lot of kids who would vehemently disagree with you.
Unfettered NIL also has the potential to keep kids in college longer, we've seen it, which is where the college game (at the elite levels) has suffered the most.

NCAA can't do anything about it. Telling 3rd parties how to spend their advertising income is WAY outside their jurisdiction.

It's also ridiculous to compare NBA contracts to nil. Compare NBA sponsorships to it, because that's what's comparable, and NBA players don't disclose that to anybody they don't want except the tax man.
I think the NCAA could have success in limiting collectives.
Calling collectives NIL is like calling a pyramid scheme multi level marketing.
It's just a front.
The problem with NIL is trying to "socialize" it.
With true NIL, only marketable kids get a piece of the pie just like in pro sports.
The NCAA still has the right to make bylaws concerning NIL just like they did with summer jobs where the kid never shows up but gets paid.

Reactions: G-PIP
Better for whom? There are a lot of kids who would vehemently disagree with you.
Unfettered NIL also has the potential to keep kids in college longer, we've seen it, which is where the college game (at the elite levels) has suffered the most.
The overall game. I realize what the me, me and me generation thinks.

• Love
Perhaps but look at the mess we have now, its worse.

The answer is easy.
Universities put the money generating athletes on payroll and give them a cut of the money they're generating. Then you can sign the players to contracts that lock them into a school as long as they're in school. Then nil is a much less player and the portal disappears.

The NCAA just wants to have their cake and eat it, too. But they have no jurisdiction over NIL.

The answer is easy.
Universities put the money generating athletes on payroll and give them a cut of the money they're generating. Then you can sign the players to contracts that lock them into a school as long as they're in school. Then nil is a much less player and the portal disappears.

The NCAA just wants to have their cake and eat it, too. But they have no jurisdiction over NIL.
Making them employees opens up new nightmares. At the least you have to deal with workers comp which would be crazy expensive if they could even get it.

Making them employees opens up new nightmares. At the least you have to deal with workers comp which would be crazy expensive if they could even get it.

It's billions of dollars in revenue. They can figure it out. They could also put in a salary cap.

Workers comp wouldn’t be a problem. In several states, professional athletes are ineligible for workers comp based on state law. For the other states, it’s not going to be much of an issue unless schools wanted to stop paying an athlete while they were injured and missing games, which would be an unlikely situation.

Workers comp wouldn’t be a problem. In several states, professional athletes are ineligible for workers comp based on state law. For the other states, it’s not going to be much of an issue unless schools wanted to stop paying an athlete while they were injured and missing games, which would be an unlikely situation.
Interesting

CCC made $5.4 million in 2012... AD made room, board, books, tuition, and cost of attendance over that.
CCC isn't making $10 million/year now, w/o AD in 2012. More than likely, he doesn't even have a job.
Pay the kids what the market will bear for their name, image, and likeness. It will eventually all straighten itself out.
Name, image and likeness is NOT what people are paying for tho. Why do people keep using that term. They are being paid by boosters to win games and play for their school. NIL is worth almost nothing in college. Jerseys, autographs and video games is all. Dealership meet and greet and social media followers. Players are being paid to PLAY. NIL-has very little value.

Name, image and likeness is NOT what people are paying for tho. Why do people keep using that term. They are being paid by boosters to win games and play for their school. NIL is worth almost nothing in college. Jerseys, autographs and video games is all. Dealership meet and greet and social media followers. Players are being paid to PLAY. NIL-has very little value.
While there may be inducements masquerading as NIL, it is not true that actual NIL has very little value.

Large companies like Dr Pepper and AT&T are using student athletes in national ad campaigns because there is real value there.

Untitled-design-71-1.png

ToppinATT.jpg

1) There is no way to tease the two apart... too much overlap.
2) When NBA endorsement deals (certainly not pay for play) are into 8-9 figures... there is value getting those top college kids locked up at 6 to 7 figures now.

1) There is no way to tease the two apart... too much overlap.
2) When NBA endorsement deals (certainly not pay for play) are into 8-9 figures... there is value getting those top college kids locked up at 6 to 7 figures now.
I don’t believe that. NFL players are recognized nationally. I don’t follow the NFL but I can tell you which teams 90% of the stars play for. I can’t tell you Who Florida St QB is?? Michigan?? Penn St?? Mizzou?? Oklahoma?? They are only local brands. I live in Shelbyville and have never seen a college athlete commercial or billboard. Never a chance to buy what they are selling. I stand by NIL for college athletes are very little. Everyone wants the athletes to get a cut of what the schools and NCAA are making but that is NOT NIL. THAT is profit from games played.

Here's my reforms:

1. No instant transfer unless a coach leaves a program.
2. Allow one maximum transfer unless there's a coaching change.
3. Make every transfer wait a year. That protects coaches who put in time recruiting players and mitigates a lot of the potential tampering.
4. Keep NIL but provide full transparency since the players are representing a university.

Problem solved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT