ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ***** Mark Pope UK Basketball Summer Q&A *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
New Kentucky Basketball HC Mark Pope met with the local media today to discuss what's going on in his program since he was hired this spring. I had a prior commitment and could not attend in person, but here's some of the major talking points from his Q&A session and the full video if anyone would like to see the complete press conference...

* Cats have wrapped up six practices as a team. Best part of coaching. Guys are doing an extraordinary job. Eager to see how the guys fit and come together. Things feel a little rushed right now, but excited about being on the court with them.

* Very few surprises so far. The pieces really fit as the staff expected when they recruited them. Not many surprises in skillset. One thing that has been a pleasant surprise is how incredibly willing they are to be coached. That's a challenge sometimes with older guys who have done things a certain way at other places. They are willing to try new things.

* Enjoying having former players back in town with the TBT event at Rupp. One of the cool things about that is the NCAA now allows them to get out on the court with their guys. Can learn from them.

* You get one hour a day, four days a week during the summer. Moving at "lightning pace" to give them a grand view of how they run their stuff. Veterans pick things up fast.

* On the 13th spot on the roster and the last scholarship being open... Still the same. Needs to be the right fit. Will be out on the road a bit this summer, some international stuff that could open up, maybe some late guys becoming available here in the States as well.

* Looking at last staff spot or two, trying to determine what they need from those positions. Will evaluate what he's seeing from the staff they've got so far and then put that into what they need for the other positions. The way they're doing it is a little unique.

* On recruiting reaction... "I'm a way handsomer guy with UK on my chest." (laughs) Admits he's still not completely used to introducing himself as the head coach at Kentucky. It's also interesting to recruit and try to find people who can handle playing basketball at UK. Like his predecessor used to say, Pope notes that it's not for everybody.

* Schedule coming together. Waiting out a few contracts. It's a more complicated process than ever. But playing some of the best teams in the country early. Some good spacing in the non-conference games.

* Believes in a player-led team. Wants them holding each other accountable. When their voices are stronger than mine, that's when you know you've got a real team. Pope notes that two guys recently wrote a song together. They won't let him hear it, so Pope says he's tempted to share their names and let the fans dig in and find it. (Laughs)

* Excited for the five guys who hope to hear their name called in the NBA Draft. Big day coming up for them and their families. Jokes that when he got drafted it "had to be a mistake." Says he was only drafted for being part of a national championship team.

* On replacing Cal... One of the great coaches in the game. Hall of Famer. But I have to be me. I can't coach like Coach Pitino or Coach Cal. I'm a believer in what I do. Just want to build on the incredible legacy at Kentucky in their own way. Notes that Cal has been "extremely generous" since Pope got the job. They've spoken many times.

* Hearing the players on the court using the words they stress over and over as coaches. That's encouraging. One of the great markers of a great player and a player with a high ceiling is how coachable they are. It's been fun to watch.

* Mitch Barnhart calls Pope during the presser. Pope takes the call. Ha. "I promise that was not planned just so that I could share my testimony for Mitch Barnhart."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News