ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Thread

I’m a casual NBA fan. I think college basketball is better in terms of atmosphere and heart. Idk pro basketball feels like mercenaries playing for $ same for football.

I feel like people haven't watched guys like Harden, Steph, Kyrie, Lebron, Simmons, Jokic, Luka, etc play.
That's all it really is, ignorance. The people who say "the game is terrible now," are usually the same ones who say "I haven't watched since Jordan, Bird and Magic."
They don't have a clue what they're talking about. They just assume it's bad because they haven't watched it.

I’m a casual NBA fan. I think college basketball is better in terms of atmosphere and heart. Idk pro basketball feels like mercenaries playing for $ same for football.
You can follow a specific team and find guys who have heart. You aren’t going to do that just following the nba as a whole and media narratives because they make everything out to be a dramatic thing.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That's all it really is, ignorance. The people who say "the game is terrible now," are usually the same ones who say "I haven't watched since Jordan, Bird and Magic."
They don't have a clue what they're talking about. They just assume it's bad because they haven't watched it.
Yea I have a boy who is a sixers fan too and the dude talks about how terrible the game is now yet whenever a game is on he’s never watching it. He doesn’t watch anything until the finals.

Reactions: wentzel25

I've watched it, so have a lot of others. If anyone believes the game is better today I'd say they didn't watch 80's and 90's NBA. The game is boring, stale, and the players largely have no drive. The NBA was always going to crash down to earth, and it's happening. Reports coming out now that the contracts are going to take a massive hit over the next 5 years, and many of the advertisers are unhappy with the direction. just 3 years ago NBA fans were talking about the NBA becoming more popular than the NFL, lol. Now, they make excuses for why the NBA ratings are probably going to be lower than the MLB.

Some of this the players brought on themselves by being some of the biggest bitches in sports. Terrible attitudes all the way around. Who wants to see that shit? Constant assholes at all times then Lebron yuck. With the European style of play, it's just not a good product and it's definitely on the way down.

Not to turn this thread into that, but I just wanted to respond about the current setting in the NBA. I hope they turn it around at some point, but when you allow the players to completely run the league, I doubt it. I think the eventual revolt against Lebron will have a positive effect, he's done more to harm the league than anything. When players begin to lose their money (already are), he will be the first blamed.

Go Heat.

I've watched it, so have a lot of others. If anyone believes the game is better today I'd say they didn't watch 80's and 90's NBA. The game is boring, stale, and the players largely have no drive. The NBA was always going to crash down to earth, and it's happening. Reports coming out now that the contracts are going to take a massive hit over the next 5 years, and many of the advertisers are unhappy with the direction. just 3 years ago NBA fans were talking about the NBA becoming more popular than the NFL, lol. Now, they make excuses for why the NBA ratings are probably going to be lower than the MLB.

Some of this the players brought on themselves by being some of the biggest bitches in sports. Terrible attitudes all the way around. Who wants to see that shit? Constant assholes at all times then Lebron yuck. With the European style of play, it's just not a good product and it's definitely on the way down.

Not to turn this thread into that, but I just wanted to respond about the current setting in the NBA. I hope they turn it around at some point, but when you allow the players to completely run the league, I doubt it. I think the eventual revolt against Lebron will have a positive effect, he's done more to harm the league than anything. When players begin to lose their money (already are), he will be the first blamed.

Go Heat.
The king is back!

• Haha
Reactions: morgousky
You not like him? Weird I thought he was universally loved. I like him but I don't ever see many people who don't

Always thought he was overrated. Not like, "He sucks". But he's never been a top5 player in my eyes, maybe not even top10. People who put him above Dame are bananas.. He's 2nd tier to me. And he's a bit like Tom Brady to me, in that I think his success is largely due to the team around him. Sure, Both are the best players on their team (well, aside from when Durant was there), but they've been blessed with very fortunate situations.

Plus, he's kind a smug little shit. I guess all "shooters" are, just like Wide Outs.. But still, I think Curry's career is vastly different, and maybe not even someone you think about, if he lands on 20 other teams..

The below was just said in the same sentence

The game is all about driving then passing it out for a three
AND
There is no emphasis on passing

“Passing” as in working the ball for a good shot. Set plays.

Of course, analytics have changed the game to where hoisting a certain number of threes a game is better percentage than mid range to close in post shots.

The game, to me, is boring now. Different tastes, I realize.

I had Curry ranked #6, right behind Dame, for this year's draft. He did take Davidson to the Elite Eight, and has won three NBA Championships, one without Durant, and three MVPs plus a Finals MVP. Before the injury he was the best shooter I've ever seen. I think he and the team will struggle this year. We'll see if he can get back to that level before his career is over, or if he is past his peak now.

And yet they will willingly watch a college team struggle to make layups and break 60 points and claim it's better basketball.

Reactions: wentzel25
And here's my draft. I'd ask some of you to critique it, but there's no need, it's going to win me the title:

(Kristaps Porzingis is on my IR and grabbed Blake "jumpin the car" Griffin)

1.(3)James HardenPG,SG
2.(14)Joel EmbiidPF,C
3.(19)Paul GeorgeSF,PF
4.(30)Jamal MurrayPG,SG
5.(35)Nikola VucevicC
6.(46)Christian WoodPF,C
7.(51)Michael Porter Jr.SF,PF
8.(62)Dejounte MurrayPG,SG
9.(67)Kristaps PorzingisPF,C
10.(78)Tyler HerroPG,SG,SF
11.(83)OG Anunoby
Good luck to your FG% stat if your league scores by categories.

I had Curry ranked #6, right behind Dame, for this year's draft. He did take Davidson to the Elite Eight, and has won three NBA Championships, one without Durant, and three MVPs plus a Finals MVP. Before the injury he was the best shooter I've ever seen. I think he and the team will struggle this year. We'll see if he can get back to that level before his career is over, or if he is past his peak now.

Despite Curry getting 40pts last night (in fantasy), his owner who grabbed him 5th is already concerned. He's just not the guy if Klay isn't on the floor with him.

I think the biggest difference in the game is players switch teams like UK switches on screens.
Bird and Celtics go together. Magic and the Lakers.

Lebron and the cavheatlakes

It used to mean something to win championships for one particular team.

Reactions: morgousky
I think the biggest difference in the game is players switch teams like UK switches on screens.
Bird and Celtics go together. Magic and the Lakers.

Lebron and the cavheatlakes

It used to mean something to win championships for one particular team.

For sure. And across all sports, but especially in the NBA, not having faces to the city and franchise is hurting the game. It just makes everything matter less. Money in sports has truly destroyed how much fun it used to be.

Reactions: gwjenning
I actually prefer the NBA. I only watch some UK games and EVERY Miami Heat game. Been to a ton of them (fan before Lebron). Tonight’s loss was ugly- but the basketball is just so much better. UK is hard to watch now.

Loved it when Dr J was playing. Those were my sixers. Hated Bird, Mchale. and Parrish. Hated Magic and Kareem. Hated them for one reason and one reason only: They were great, and I wanted the sixers to be the best, and with the exception of one year, the Lakers or Celtics kept them from it.
Can you imagine Bird as a Laker? Magic in Philly. Kareem as a Celtic? Dr J as a Celtic? Andrew Toney as a Laker? Any of those guys would have projectile vomited at the thought of playing for the enemy.
Today, players skip from team to team. Today, it’s just business. There’s no loyalty. There’s no reason to care.

I hate the style of play the NBA has evolved into.

The 90s were perfection for both it college basketball. Both were at their pinnacle. Once the NBA went to iso ball I lost interest. Now its evolved into so much outside shooting, big men jacking up 15-20 first. Give me the days of big men who were big men.

I might on occasion have a game on if no other sporting event is on. Its just incredibly boring. Too polished. NBA Jam TE edition.. Same boring ass script every game. Absolutely nothing compelling about its regular season. Load management....what a crock of bullshit.

College basketball meanwhile has gotten worse in the other direction. A damn rock chucking fest.

To be honest I don't care about the sport of basketball at all outside of UK. I'm good with football and baseball. But UK basketball is special. I wish we'd get back to it.

I hate the style of play the NBA has evolved into.

The 90s were perfection for both it college basketball. Both were at their pinnacle. Once the NBA went to iso ball I lost interest. Now its evolved into so much outside shooting, big men jacking up 15-20 first. Give me the days of big men who were big men.

I might on occasion have a game on if no other sporting event is on. Its just incredibly boring. Too polished. NBA Jam TE edition.. Same boring ass script every game. Absolutely nothing compelling about its regular season. Load management....what a crock of bullshit.

College basketball meanwhile has gotten worse in the other direction. A damn rock chucking fest.

To be honest I don't care about the sport of basketball at all outside of UK. I'm good with football and baseball. But UK basketball is special. I wish we'd get back to it.
What we’re seeing the college game become is what the NBA was in the 90s, except more three point shooting.

This is a UK basketball discussion forum.
There’s probably a few NBA places to land and discuss a bunch of overpaid, low effort, entitled feeling athletes. Some discussions are probably about the draft, the bubble, and maybe Stephen A. Smith’s unwanted opinion on something else that doesn’t matter.

People clicking on a thread specifically titled NBA THREAD only to bitch and complain about how ThE NBA SuCCks I NeVvEerrr WatCH!!

Reminds me of people that wish for rain only to complain when it starts raining . Must be a truly fulfilling life.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I came to this thread looking to talk NBA basketball LOL what the F was I thinking?

This is a UK basketball discussion forum.
There’s probably a few NBA places to land and discuss a bunch of overpaid, low effort, entitled feeling athletes. Some discussions are probably about the draft, the bubble, and maybe Stephen A. Smith’s unwanted opinion on something else that doesn’t matter.

This is a thread titled NBA THREAD.

Laughable.

The NBA’s Opening Night doubleheader averaged a Nielsen-estimated 2.87 million viewers on TNT Tuesday night, up 1% from last year (2.85M), up 2% from 2018 (2.82M), and the most-watched Opening Night since 2017 (4.88M).

I would love to get excited for the NBA but I just don’t know how.
I wish I could figure out a team to support. Could someone please help me out on why I should watch or what team should I support? Lol

I root for the Mavs because I live here. Pick out your favorite former UK guy and support them. The Heat has a lot of UK connections, and they are a good team to watch. Just a really good, sound basketball team that probably excells above their actual talent level.

Yet you care enough to post about how you don’t care about it.

Amazes me how often anti-NBA people do this.

I don’t watch hockey, but never have I ever considered going on a hockey board to say it. But, for some odd reason, non-NBA watchers do seem to feel this need to regularly declare it. Can anyone explain why?

Last edited:
Reactions: shaudyshaud
Herro starting skis thus year. Duncan with 7 threes was great.

Mulder already in the game for GSW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT