ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky, Duke, Arkansas....empty

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
So.....is this the sign of things to come? Rotating lineups each year?

Seems like a coaching staff is going to have to tool a mix of developing players, a transfer or two and one or two one year NBA wannabes.

BUT....you have to convince the NBA guy(s) it ain't all about them.
Then teach everybody how to play together.

Piece of cake, right?

I wouldn’t say of things “to come.” Instead it’s the way things already are ever since the combination of the transfer portal and NIL money totally transformed the way that CBB rosters are built.

But it does seem to be accelerating and getting even crazier at an astonishingly rapid rate

I wouldn’t say of things “to come.” Instead it’s the way things already are ever since the combination of the transfer portal and NIL money totally transformed the way that CBB rosters are built.

But it does seem to be accelerating and getting even crazier at an astonishingly rapid rate
They're going to end up turning so many people off from college sports in general. May as well watch actual pros, and I can't stand the NBA.

Seems like a coaching staff is going to have to tool a mix of developing players, a transfer or two and one or two one year NBA wannabes.

Piece of cake, right?
It'll get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. College athletics has no other option. The way it is right now will destroy college sports if nothing is done to provide structure and some semblance of balance.

At some point this NIL and transfer will hit a brick wall. I hope that is soon.
I think schools - coaches and ADs - will be leading this charge this summer. I seriously don't think it will take long for that to happen. I mean now the schools have to pony up for more travel just to accommodate not only high school recruits, but transfer portal recruiting. On top of that, schools are going to need to hire a freaking General Manager that likely has a law degree to manage these NIL contract negotiations (note that most, if not all sports agents are attorneys). All of this means more expense on the athletic departments who get nothing out of the NIL except players that might draw attention to their school come playoff time.

Another thing that could start to happen is no more free college tuition/scholarships if these kids are making $250k to over $1m for only a few months out of a college year.

All teams are having massive shakeups I’m not sure this is the most ideal situation for any of them.

It will take like 2 years to see if this is the META going forward

I think schools - coaches and ADs - will be leading this charge this summer. I seriously don't think it will take long for that to happen. I mean now the schools have to pony up for more travel just to accommodate not only high school recruits, but transfer portal recruiting. On top of that, schools are going to need to hire a freaking General Manager that likely has a law degree to manage these NIL contract negotiations (note that most, if not all sports agents are attorneys). All of this means more expense on the athletic departments who get nothing out of the NIL except players that might draw attention to their school come playoff time.

Another thing that could start to happen is no more free college tuition/scholarships if these kids are making $250k to over $1m for only a few months out of a college year.
Would love to see this happen this coming year. I think most fans would get behind it.

Reactions: TheDude73

Piece of cake, right?
If you perform miracles.

Piece of cake, right?
Yeah, there is no doubt, this is the present and future. I'm hoping Pope will be able to get some guys to stick around, but there's really no way to prevent it. NIL is a big temptation for these guys, and there are always coaches making pitches to these guys. It's like NBA free agency every season. So, the guys who think they're due for a payday and may not be getting it, (or could get more) will go the portal route. That's where we are.

Yeah, there is no doubt, this is the present and future. I'm hoping Pope will be able to get some guys to stick around, but there's really no way to prevent it. NIL is a big temptation for these guys, and there are always coaches making pitches to these guys. It's like NBA free agency every season. So, the guys who think they're due for a payday and may not be getting it, (or could get more) will go the portal route. That's where we are.
And you can't overthrow these money changer's tables.

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat
The NCAA is on the verge of imploding. Already they have lost control and power.

It will be up to the courts to implement something. Maybe congress will step in eventually.

It'll get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. College athletics has no other option. The way it is right now will destroy college sports if nothing is done to provide structure and some semblance of balance.
This! It will take a few years but athletes that are 18, 19 years old don’t deserve what they are getting. It has become a cesspool and anyone who cares about it, is also part of the cesspool. The NBA and those that are part of stinks of a bunch of putrid $hit. It has become something that most people detest. I’ll be the first to sign up for eff the NBA.

Duke ain’t empty. They have like 6 freshmen coming in. They have been bleeding kids for for a week and they still have more of a squad than most

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
The limiting factor is the incoming funding.

It's a novel way for rich boosters to gain some influence right now, but the numbers we're currently seeing changing hands don't reflect anything resembling a worthwhile transaction for a savvy investor.

We'll see if the powers re-install some guard rails on this thing in terms of number of transfers, etc, but I also think boosters will realize quickly that there are significantly diminishing returns on the dollar when it's just going towards betting on talented 20 year olds every 12 months.

I could be wrong, but with current rosters being vastly more volatile than the pros, I can't see how the year over year expenditures would make sense.

This is one of the issues (that I fear) with Pope being the coach. Love what he stands for, love his energy, but worry about trying to (both) sway kids to UK that want to play for the University of Kentucky but win their wallets too. It’s a very thin line…nearly transparent.

Reactions: chevyman 50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT