ADVERTISEMENT

NBA draft

The defense is concerning. I keep thinking all of our players can't be that bad. Hopefully that improves with different coaching. He'll have a long career as a bomber at least.

I am hoping the best for Reed and Rob. Maybe Reed can be similar to John Stockton. We’ll see.

Reed was one of my favorite UK players of all time. I don’t think he’ll ever be a NBA starter much less an All Star level player. Rob has all the tools if he can build strength and get better on the defensive end.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I am hoping the best for Reed and Rob. Maybe Reed can be similar to John Stockton. We’ll see.
John Stockton made the NBA all-defensive team multiple times and had several career games with 25+ assists. Sheppard is a very solid, heady player and an excellent shooter but he will never be "similar to John Stockton".

Rob has a higher ceiling but Reed will be fine in the right situation. I’ve thought Fred VanVleet was a reasonable potential comp for a while.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
What an absolute dud his last game was, can’t believe he was cool going out like that.

Millions of dollars can soothe a lot of wounds, but I bet he never completely gets over it.

I thought two things got him that game.

One was that coming off the bench and not playing enough minutes with Rob and Reeves officially became a problem.

Two was that we looked totally unprepared to attack that zone. Not sure how much of that blame goes to Reed vs. other players/coaching staff, but we looked totally out of synch.

Millions of dollars can soothe a lot of wounds, but I bet he never completely gets over it.

One was that coming off the bench and not playing enough minutes with Rob and Reeves officially became a problem.

Two was that we looked totally unprepared to attack that zone. Not sure how much of that blame goes to Reed vs. other players/coaching staff, but we looked totally out of synch.

I think Cal did a miserable job of preparing the team and Reed tightened up under the big lights. A kid that bled blue, had a dad that won 2 championships for UK, mom that went there. Was surprised he didn’t want to at least win a single postseason game playing for UK. I personally think he’ll look back with regret, but who knows.

The issue with thinking there won’t be regret because of money is that’s not how a lot of athletes are wired, and he would have had money even if he came back. Not to mention, if he doesn’t pan out, returning to college might have been what he needed to stick in the league. I think it’s being wildly overlooked that Reed doesn’t have confidence even as a 50% 3 point shooter. Now he’s going to a league with limited confidence, as a kid, where he’s going to be plugged into guarding 6’6 and 6’7 athletic freaks. I’m a big fan of Reed but even I have to admit he has trouble guarding 2 star college kids that are his own height. I’m having a lot of trouble seeing it translate.

My opinion was simply take the money to return to college and get your confidence up at least, then jump when you’re a little bit older and have your feet under you. In pro sports when you lose your confidence early? It’s ended many careers.

It would have been a better bet to gamble after year 2 than heading straight to the league. And a year with Pope could have paid dividends.

I don’t know, seems to me this is definitely a huge gamble in terms of his career. If he gets carved up by NBA guys as a top pick he’s going to get hammered everyday within his organization and the media and I don’t see him ever gaining his confidence. He would more than likely look back and think another year in college was needed. I’d hate that for him, and I also think Jeff is 100% aware of it too. They’re good people but this was a move based off of finances because it’s not the better move for his career by all appearances.

John Stockton made the NBA all-defensive team multiple times and had several career games with 25+ assists. Sheppard is a very solid, heady player and an excellent shooter but he will never be "similar to John Stockton".
I’m hoping he’s heady enough to be similar, we’ll see.

College basketball is more of a team game and the NBA is more 1 on 1 and there are a number of tremendous athletes sitting on the bench for numerous teams that hardly ever play- it will be interesting to see where Rob and Reed are, NBA wise in 5 years

I honestly don’t believe Reed will reach Tyler herro status. I just really don’t see it. Yet.

Yes his last game will be remembered poorly but he honestly had several games where he cost us significantly at the end. Even the one where he “won” it by hitting free throws he made a bad turnover and fouled a three point shooter and almost saw us blow a game we had in the bag.

But I hope I’m wrong and he goes to the right situation(spurs as much as I don’t like to say it maybe) - NOT HOUSTON- and thrives but I just don’t see it happening at least immediately.

Never would've dreamed that we'd only get one year of Reed but when you're being told you're a top five pick, you don't have much choice.

I can't believe we once lived in an era where guys like Tim Duncan and Patrick Ewing stayed four years, Ray Allen three years, Allen Iverson two years, MJ three years, and on and on. Now there's guys leaving who are told they're likely second round or NBA GMs are reaching like crazy on potential.

The issue with thinking there won’t be regret because of money is that’s not how a lot of athletes are wired, and he would have had money even if he came back. Not to mention, if he doesn’t pan out, returning to college might have been what he needed to stick in the league. I think it’s being wildly overlooked that Reed doesn’t have confidence even as a 50% 3 point shooter. Now he’s going to a league with limited confidence, as a kid, where he’s going to be plugged into guarding 6’6 and 6’7 athletic freaks. I’m a big fan of Reed but even I have to admit he has trouble guarding 2 star college kids that are his own height. I’m having a lot of trouble seeing it translate.

My opinion was simply take the money to return to college and get your confidence up at least, then jump when you’re a little bit older and have your feet under you. In pro sports when you lose your confidence early? It’s ended many careers.

It would have been a better bet to gamble after year 2 than heading straight to the league. And a year with Pope could have paid dividends.

I don’t know, seems to me this is definitely a huge gamble in terms of his career. If he gets carved up by NBA guys as a top pick he’s going to get hammered everyday within his organization and the media and I don’t see him ever gaining his confidence. He would more than likely look back and think another year in college was needed. I’d hate that for him, and I also think Jeff is 100% aware of it too. They’re good people but this was a move based off of finances because it’s not the better move for his career by all appearances.
Excellent post, IMO. Reed absolutely needed to come back for another year. That's being said aside from my opinion as a fan, and without money being part of the equation.

Reactions: RabbiShmuley
Still think Dilly would wind up being the best player in the draft. He has such big time shot making ability that was called upon several times to bail out UK. He's going to be a total weapon in the NBA.

A 15pt guy who didn't even start. Imagine the PPG he'd get if he was more of a focal point.. or THE focal point.

I’d take Dilly over Reed.

In reality Reed would have been exposed this year and I’m glad his parents made the correct long term decision for him.
I would take Rob too. I think he will be an all-star, a cross between Iverson and Trae Young. Yes, that good.

I don’t know about Reed “being exposed”. But he’s not strong enough, which should already be known. Rob isn’t yet either except he’s quick enough to get away with lack of strength (somewhat). Both will get stronger, but it doesn’t happen overnight. So Reed could have used another year to be more physically ready to play with grown-ass men. So don’t expect much from him his first year, maybe 2. But after that he should take off. Hopefully going a little too early doesn’t hurt his 2nd contract. So long term, staying another year might have been the better option, but either was a good option (tough choice).

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I would take Rob too. I think he will be an all-star, a cross between Iverson and Trae Young. Yes, that good.

I don’t know about Reed “being exposed”. But he’s not strong enough, which should already be known. Rob isn’t yet either except he’s quick enough to get away with lack of strength (somewhat). Both will get stronger, but it doesn’t happen overnight. So Reed could have used another year to be more physically ready to play with grown-ass men. So don’t expect much from him his first year, maybe 2. But after that he should take off. Hopefully going a little too early doesn’t hurt his 2nd contract. So long term, staying another year might have been the better option, but either was a good option (tough choice).
The things I saw in Reed:

+ Excellent 3 point shooter
+ Great to good ft shooter
+ Good court awareness

- Poor defense at best
- Not very athletic
- Disengaged from the offense

With experience I see him at +4/-2 or if things go great for him he could be +5/-1
Likely he'll be +3/-3 and have to make a living from deep.

These are basically my exact thoughts as well. The best financial decision in the now isn't the same as best career decision for the future. And as you said, he'd still be making good money fur another year. I have some serious reservations about Reed getting to a second contract, for the reasons you and others have laid out. He may be chewed up and spit out before he can really get going.

Anyone know much about these two French kids? All I've heard is that they're good, but not nearly Wemby kinda good.

And why the H - E - double hockey sticks don't the Pacers have a first rounder?? I must've missed that somewhere. I thought I'd been hearing they had draft capital.

Imagine that, we don't know how to attack a zone in a NCAAT game against a vastly inferior opponent.

Reactions: Aike
Well, the Athletic mock has:

#8 San Antonio: Reed
#10 Utah: Dilly
#44 Houston: Tonio
#47 Orlando: Edwards

(and no Robinson)

Never would've dreamed that we'd only get one year of Reed but when you're being told you're a top five pick, you don't have much choice.

I can't believe we once lived in an era where guys like Tim Duncan and Patrick Ewing stayed four years, Ray Allen three years, Allen Iverson two years, MJ three years, and on and on. Now there's guys leaving who are told they're likely second round or NBA GMs are reaching like crazy on potential.
Changing with the times.

I feel like Dillingham dropping that far will be just like Gilgeous-Alexander dropping to #11. Other than Doncic and Trae Young, SGA should've been drafted higher.

I’d take Dilly over Reed.

In reality Reed would have been exposed this year and I’m glad his parents made the correct long term decision for him.
Since the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams. Just wondering has a team ever lost in the 1st round like we did this year. And then have 2 Top-5 picks in the upcoming NBA draft? If I had to guess. I would say no. Just another feather in John Calipari's hat.

So the posters who thought Reed wouldn't contribute this year, are trying to justify their miserable takes by saying he'd suck next year. YCMTSU.

The things I saw in Reed:

+ Excellent 3 point shooter
+ Great to good ft shooter
+ Good court awareness

- Poor defense at best
- Not very athletic
- Disengaged from the offense

With experience I see him at +4/-2 or if things go great for him he could be +5/-1
Likely he'll be +3/-3 and have to make a living from deep.
Do you mean not very athletic for a guy with a 42 inch vertical, or just in general?

The defense is concerning. I keep thinking all of our players can't be that bad. Hopefully that improves with different coaching. He'll have a long career as a bomber at least.
Reed's biggest issue is the same as Rob's...they both ball watch and lose their man. If they don't learn to stay with their man neither of them will stay on the floor long in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT