ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats is the guy

I'm with the guy you quoted. More open minded than I was but Oats just made a FF on the back of a 29% shooter going 5/8 from three.

My issue with him is not between the ears, seems to be a mastermind...but they shot nearly 40 3's tonight. Until tonight that was what happened to his teams every single season over and over again....shoot a ton of 3's and get nothing.

I'm torn on him. Nothing left for him to prove. JMHO.
Join the dark side.

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
Join the dark side.

It isn't that man...I am seriously worried about our future. Not that anything you and I say matters.

Oats is good but seriously what did he do different tonight or Thursday than he did last year or year prior? He is what he is. It is entertaining and he can motivate but it is live or die. They won, kudos to him, proved me wrong, 100%.

I am just sort of despondent right now with UK BB.

It isn't that man...I am seriously worried about our future. Not that anything you and I say matters.

Oats is good but seriously what did he do different tonight or Thursday than he did last year or year prior? He is what he is. It is entertaining and he can motivate but it is live or die. They won, kudos to him, proved me wrong, 100%.

I am just sort of despondent right now with UK BB.
Right with you man.

It's threads like this that just show people are full of shit. No legit option my ass. Oats is the man. People are just contrarians by nature and going to knock anybody you suggest to take the job as if they know better but fail to put up a list of worthy candidates themselves. Just want to talk down yours. No one here is on the inside. For those with memory loss, Mitch would have never hired Cal on his own accord without the committee. If the boosters think Oats is the guy and fork over the money for the buyout, they will get their guy.

I don’t get the Oats love.
1 F4
2 other S16
There are several coaches with that.

I’m not saying he’s a “no”, but he’s got to be 1 of several in that 2nd tier at best. Him, Drew, Lloyd, Smart, and more.
It’s because you want to get a coach with strong promise BEFORE he blows up and they sink their roots in. Donovan after the back to back titles had it made in Florida. Hurley will be similarly entrenched if he wins his second title this year.

You can’t get a multiple championship winning coach unless you’re the nba and they don’t like college coaching/recruiting. So you have to practice some foresight, more often then not, and go after someone younger who has shown some things and see what they can do at UK.

Wright and Donovan aren’t coming, and even if they did it’s unlikely they would do as well in today’s landscape as they had when they coached. Donovan would probably fare a bit better since the portal is basically free agency. Stephens is never coaching again. Few isn’t leaving Gonzaga.

So realistically, you’re looking at the second tier of guys (by your estimation) as if they were the first tier. Because all the guys you have in your first tier aren’t going to come.

If Cal is ever moved on from, Oats is the target.

No he's not a flavor of the week like all the other names thrown around. His setback was he didn't have any big stage wins past his good mid major resume and competitive but not elite seasons at Bama. In the past week he got a signature win against a #1 seed unc and now a final four.

He can recruit, hes young, and he's got the personality to handle the maniacs here.
(The maniacs are in the room with us)

He should be the Cal replacement. He’s insufferable but he can be our insufferable coach. I think he’s one of the few that will now have the pedigree and the attitude to do this job.

We owe cal a fortune. Oats has a massive buyout. Not a good combination

He should be the Cal replacement. He’s insufferable but he can be our insufferable coach. I think he’s one of the few that will now have the pedigree and the attitude to do this job.
I agree. That is why I say Oats is the man for this job. When people want proven results in terms of a charismatic figure that has won Conference Championships, Tournaments, been to Final 4s, embrace the transfer portal...There are only so many of those candidates. People are so flippant when it comes to ruling out Oats and I think a lot of it is pure ignorance/trolling behavior. For those who legitimately don't think Oats is a fit for the job, please provide some names who are and realistically would come here.

I don’t get the Oats love.
1 F4
2 other S16
There are several coaches with that.

I’m not saying he’s a “no”, but he’s got to be 1 of several in that 2nd tier at best. Him, Drew, Lloyd, Smart, and more.
He's coached 5 years at a Major Conference Program. Go look at the graphics Aaron Torres put up regarding the CHAMPIONSHIPS and Postseason success he's having at Alabama.

Again--in Alabama History, Oats is now responsible for:

30% of their Sweet 16 Appearances
50% of their Elite 8's
Their Lone Final Four Appearance

This run reminds of what Cal did in '11 after the '10 team was supposed to be the one--Oats team last year was supposed to be it--now he's in Final Four with some major talent on the way-and he got a Portal guy already while they were in the NCAA Tournament--shooter from Pepperdine. Aiden Sherrell is going to be an elite CBB player and Derrion Reid is as tough as it gets. He could return Sears, Nelson, and Pringle as well--doubt they all return but he could get them all back in terms of eligibility.

Oats was always the guy. He screwed up the Bama situation but no one cares or wants to remember his response to that now. He's young and hungry and now he's got his FF. I don't know how the money situation would work with his buyout, paying Cal off, plus giving Oats and a new staff a respectable salary but the only way the idea of Oats at UK will be entertained is if Cal fails again next year and Mitch decides it's time for both of them to walk away and let someone new make the next hire.

Oats was always the guy. He screwed up the Bama situation but no one cares or wants to remember his response to that now. He's young and hungry and now he's got his FF. I don't know how the money situation would work with his buyout, paying Cal off, plus giving Oats and a new staff a respectable salary but the only way the idea of Oats at UK will be entertained is if Cal fails again next year and Mitch decides it's time for both of them to walk away and let someone new make the next hire.
Oats has arguably the best AD in College Athletics in Greg Byrne. UK has Mitch Barnhart. He'll stay at Bama until that position changes as he should.

Oats has arguably the best AD in College Athletics in Greg Byrne. UK has Mitch Barnhart. He'll stay at Bama until that position changes as he should.
Maybe. All I know is Mitch better step down from his high horse if he plans on making the next hire. I've listened to KSR over the years name the coaches list Mitch likely has and I've watched as coaches on that potential list have screwed up, gotten into hot water, had a stumble or two, or retired. Now that list is likely Scott Drew and that's it. I wouldn't complain about Drew, but I don't think he's got the fire and energy to come in and try to emulate what Cal did those first several years. Drew is likely another one who is "fat and happy" with his one title.

Maybe. All I know is Mitch better step down from his high horse if he plans on making the next hire. I've listened to KSR over the years name the coaches list Mitch likely has and I've watched as coaches on that potential list have screwed up, gotten into hot water, had a stumble or two, or retired. Now that list is likely Scott Drew and that's it. I wouldn't complain about Drew, but I don't think he's got the fire and energy to come in and try to emulate what Cal did those first several years. Drew is likely another one who is "fat and happy" with his one title.
Scott Drew without Jerome Tang has been Cal---not winning and leaving 1st weekend of the NCAA's.

Marist era under him didn't impress you? 41-117 not moving the needle? Say that while also acknowledging that I've heard nothing but positive things about him as an Assistant Coach/Person--unlike what Bruiser Flint represents.
Curious as to what Chin Coleman does thats so bad. I know he drinks a lot. But thats it?

UNC was the 1 seed lmao and even if all that’s true this ain’t a great Alabama team either

UNC was only a 1 because they beat up on a bad ACC. They were good, but never natty good. And if you watched that game they handed it to Bama on a silver freaking platter late.

Again, thats not Bamas fault. They took advantage. Thats good coaching.

Curious as to what Chin Coleman does thats so bad. I know he drinks a lot. But thats it?
Coleman isn't a strong X/O's guy but he has done his job recruiting. When a control freak HC is in charge and wants to run things-but said he needs talent upgrade--O/Chin delivered. I'm not opposed to replacing him but here's the question? Who is running to coach with Cal right now? See Phil Martelli's been mentioned which makes sense seeing Cal helped place him at Michigan for Juwan Howard and he'd need a job-but who wants to come to this sinking ship?

Coleman isn't a strong X/O's guy but he has done his job recruiting. When a control freak HC is in charge and wants to run things-but said he needs talent upgrade--O/Chin delivered. I'm not opposed to replacing him but here's the question? Who is running to coach with Cal right now? See Phil Martelli's been mentioned which makes sense seeing Cal helped place him at Michigan for Juwan Howard and he'd need a job-but who wants to come to this sinking ship?
Cal is a dead man walking. I say any staff changes are a wash. Just endure this for another year and we're done.

Why do you keep posting this nonsense?
How about Ben Howland UCLA?
Rick Pitino?
Tubby Smith?
Steve Fisher??

How many more you need to convince you otherwise??
Only one of those guys you just listed qualifies for what the dude you quoted was saying. He was talking about coaches willingly leaving a school they won a title at leaving for another school

Howland and Fisher both got fired. Pitino left for the Celtics. Tubby is the only one that left his school for another school willingly. And I think we can all agree that was under duress.

It’s really really hard to find a coach who won a national title at one school and left for another when he was still wanted at the school where he won the title. Pretty much impossible.

Reactions: gojvc and cathouse
Cal is a dead man walking. I say any staff changes are a wash. Just endure this for another year and we're done.

It's absolutely crazy that we are even having this conversation. Basically telling fans to bend over and take it one more year. I hate Cal and Mitch.

This shit would not happen at a football school in our conference. It just wouldn't happen.

It's absolutely crazy that we are even having this conversation. Basically telling fans to bend over and take it one more year. I hate Cal and Mitch.

This shit would not happen at a football school in our conference. It just wouldn't happen.
It's a ****ing disgrace. It's what happens when your AD is almost 70 years old. Both are fat, tired, and retired.

Auburn will always find money to fire a football coach. It seems the problem is that Kentucky is not a wealthy state and UK doesn’t have enough wealthy boosters.

The history of the program doesn’t matter without new money. Now college sports start and end with money. All about the Benjamins.

Auburn will always find money to fire a football coach. It seems the problem is that Kentucky is not a wealthy state and UK doesn’t have enough wealthy boosters.

The history of the program doesn’t matter without new money. Now college sports starts and ends with money.
And Alabama is?

Imagine making the Final Four without a 44% 3pt shooter playing a single game in the Sweet 16/Elite 8 and not making any excuses for missing him going into the games? Refreshing. I was told by some Cal nut hugger during the season that Wrightsell's absence didn't matter and Oats can't carry Cal's jock, etc....and I saw more coaching from Oats this NCAA run then Cal's had in a decade.

For instance--Grant Nelson didn't sit rest of 1st Half when he had 2 fouls at the under 16 mark --he knew he needed him to stay in the game--and not only did that happen-he had lead going into the Half. He also didn't panic when a bench guy missed a shot badly (Stevenson) on his first wide open attempt-he stuck with him and the guy banged 5 3pt makes and was X-factor in the game. He was a '24 class member Oats got to reclassify and he used him even when he had struggles throughout the year. Didn't bury him because he didn't come in at a pace he expected.

The same team UK put 117 on and Cal's openly mocked HOW they play in terms of style--Oats called his team out for their awful defense and how they were "cheating the game" and an "embarrassment to defensive integrity". Started 1st Rd running a train and humiliating Mr. "Revi-VILLE" at Charleston. Then they had to fight/grit their way over Grand Canyon when it was a road game atmosphere in Spokane, and we all saw the toughness/fight against UNC down 1 just over 30 secs and then tonight down 13 early with Nelson in foul trouble. He adjusted/coached.

Excuses were there to be made. They fought/dug in and competed and are in the school's 1st Final Four.

Meanwhile Cal's doing odd TV interviews with his "boss" in name--and telling everyone they don't need to change much--and everything this offseason is off to the same type of start. We're seeing this program fall further behind everyone right now it's sickening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT