ADVERTISEMENT

NASCAR thread

NASCAR handled this terribly.
Which part? I mean, what more do these restrictor plate races have to reveal about themselves? It wasn't that long ago Jarret Sr. was in the booth complaining about how the cars were "almost" racing bumper to bumper. Apparently they've solved that problem. There is "almost" always no more almost. An urgent hurry to find a different bumper to push against litterally "almost" killed Ryan Newman today. Most of us probably thought it had.

Everyone forgetting the Dillon crash in the July Daytona race where his car was torn to shreds in the catch fence.

Haven't forgotten that one at all. Remember the motor flying out. Brought that example up with the people I was watching the race with trying to reassure them that we've seen scary crashes with these cars in recent years and drivers will be okay. I remember Elliott Sadler had about 3 straight plate races finishing upside down. Even Gaughn landing back on all 4 tires from a flip in the air last Talladega. Arguably from the race of Dale's death in the Daytona 500, Tony Stewart's flip looked worse at the time.

The added drama of Brad being too busy tweeting and hitting Dillon 3 minutes after that wreck made it more spectacular.

They could've said he was alive when he got out of the car.

Yes, they could have. But, what if they say he's alive then he dies hours later.

You can't say someones alive without knowing the severity of his injuries, and you also can't say he's alive and just say his injuries are bad.

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
I am just amazed that Newman's car wasn't engulfed in flames. It was burning around the gas nozzle and then gas started gushing from the tank onto the ground. It had to be the grace of God that it didn't explode into flames.

Ernie Irvin at Michigan was pretty damn bad. The post wreck footage, you just knew he was dead, very lucky. Glad to see Ryan is "OK". May not be the best choice of words.

I'll be the first to admit I don't work on cars so as an ignorant fan I don't know but it's easy to sit back now and analyze the situation in the aftermath. In real time as a fan, when you see your favorite driver since grade school crash like that, you aren't thinking rationally. Fear sets in. Hit in the driver side door after going airborne and landing on the asphalt, slide down the front stretch and car in flames with liquid pouring out and not moving afterwards. Your gut instinct is to be scared as hell and hope he is okay. The only hope I had is seeing scary crashes before with drivers walking away but that doesn't always mean the same impact on the driver like with Earnhardt.
I agree. Seeing the wreck in real time as it happened I figured it was another wreck like we've seen over the years with Edwards, Dillon, etc. It wasn't until after Hamlin was celebrating in the infield grass that I started to question the lack of severity. Its just a testament to how safe these cars have been since the Dale Earnhardt tragedy.

I agree. Seeing the wreck in real time as it happened I figured it was another wreck like we've seen over the years with Edwards, Dillon, etc. It wasn't until after Hamlin was celebrating in the infield grass that I started to question the lack of severity. Its just a testament to how safe these cars have been since the Dale Earnhardt tragedy.

The safety improvements with respect to fire alone have been amazing, even before considering all of the changes to make the impacts more survivable.

40 years ago, race cars pretty much always burst into massive flames during a crash. The video of David Purley trying in vain to save Roger Williamson’s life is still one of the more heartbreaking things I’ve seen.

Between better fuel tanks, fire suppression, etc., you just don’t see fires like that anymore. Thankfully.

Reactions: akers65
I said it last week and stand behind my statement that some of these guys had become hardened to the fact that their actions could lead to someones death as most of them were not even racing in any of NASCAR's top 3 series the last time someone was killed. Guys that are way too aggressive bump drafting and blocking have caused a lot of wrecks on Super Speedways in the last few years which has only led to a bunch of torn up equipment but last night it almost lead to someone not going home to their family.

Unless more drivers take the Kesolowski approach of "if you block me I am putting you into the wall" it will only get worse up to the point that someone gets killed. I think it has been so long, with so many hard hits into the wall without any major injuries, that these guys are starting to feel invincible.

I specifically thought about Dillon's crash the most since it was under the Gen 6 model as well with it being scary seeing the engine fly out. I think I'll always be more reactionary first when seeing these scary crashes and analyze it once I've had some time to process it. Last night was harder being a fan of Newman. That Edwards crash at Talladega where he landed on Newman's hood and being in the catch fence, the '03 Daytona flip for Newman and later at Talladega kept trying to reassure it would be fine. Definitely these cars have come a long way in regards to safety and thankful we did not lose another race last night. The one thing that gave me the most reassurance was when the car was flipped back on its side. The risk involved in breaking any bones when you move the body and further damage to a person's body in any car accident to prevent paralyzing them.
Out of superspeedway wrecks, Dillon's is one of the most shocking I've seen. Geoff Bodine's truck series wreck in 2000 is perhaps the worst I've seen in terms of ripping the car from fully function to roll cage in a single wreck. There have been several unbelievable wrecks since Earnhardt in 2001. The saving grace has been the Hans device and the improvement of the restraints/roll cage around the driver.

Out of superspeedway wrecks, Dillon's is one of the most shocking I've seen. Geoff Bodine's truck series wreck in 2000 is perhaps the worst I've seen in terms of ripping the car from fully function to roll cage in a single wreck. There have been several unbelievable wrecks since Earnhardt in 2001. The saving grace has been the Hans device and the improvement of the restraints/roll cage around the driver.

The safer barriers have been a huge help as well. Letting that car hit something that has some give instead of a concrete wall with none has made a huge difference in how much kinetic energy a driver feels on those head on wrecks. Earnhardt would have survived with a HANS device or if the walls would have had safer barriers either one.

Reactions: funKYcat75
I said it last week and stand behind my statement that some of these guys had become hardened to the fact that their actions could lead to someones death as most of them were not even racing in any of NASCAR's top 3 series the last time someone was killed. Guys that are way too aggressive bump drafting and blocking have caused a lot of wrecks on Super Speedways in the last few years which has only led to a bunch of torn up equipment but last night it almost lead to someone not going home to their family.
It is my belief that we cast too much blame on the style of racing at a particular track set up versus the overall nature of the business. There have been drivers that have suffered injuries at shorter tracks because of similar circumstances rather than Daytona/Talladega. The intensity of the Daytona 500 plus the implication of the restrictor plate causes tight, dramatic racing in the closing laps.

What could've prevented the Newman accident? The double yellow line? The G-W-C? It's purely speculative and irrational to think a separate set of rules like eliminating the double yellow line and the overtime would prevent a driver getting wrecked on the last lap of the biggest race of the year. Neither reduces the intensity and the urgency on the last lap. What happened to Newman is a racing deal and is a causation of the type of sport we've come to know and love.

Reactions: akers65
The safer barriers have been a huge help as well. Letting that car hit something that has some give instead of a concrete wall with none has made a huge difference in how much kinetic energy a driver feels on those head on wrecks. Earnhardt would have survived with a HANS device or if the walls would have had safer barriers either one.
I wonder how many lives were saved because of his accident. Obviously the situations would have been completely different, but you see a wreck of that magnitude almost every month and they just get up and walk away.

Or if Sr wore a closed helmet

I am not sure a closed helmet could have kept him from breaking his kneck.
Closed helmet plus the lack of a Hans restraining device led to his untimely death. His death, while tragic, ultimately led to NASCAR creating an R&D Center and a vast improvement to driver safety through the evolution of their cars.

The restrictor plate/Tapered Spacer is the issue. If they want to slow down the cars there are ways to do it without restrictor plates and keeping the cars bunched up. They can limit gear ratio's in the transmission and rear end. They can make aero changes that cause cars to become unstable when tucked under another car to bump draft and also have tires causing speeds to fall off quickly making a good handling car the premium. The speeds at tracks with a lot of tire wear like Darlington can drop 15-20 MPH or more in some of the ill handling cars in a fuel run.

It is my belief that we cast too much blame on the style of racing at a particular track set up versus the overall nature of the business. There have been drivers that have suffered injuries at shorter tracks because of similar circumstances rather than Daytona/Talladega. The intensity of the Daytona 500 plus the implication of the restrictor plate causes tight, dramatic racing in the closing laps.

What could've prevented the Newman accident? The double yellow line? The G-W-C? It's purely speculative and irrational to think a separate set of rules like eliminating the double yellow line and the overtime would prevent a driver getting wrecked on the last lap of the biggest race of the year. Neither reduces the intensity and the urgency on the last lap. What happened to Newman is a racing deal and is a causation of the type of sport we've come to know and love.

Just wonder if NASCAR will keep this current package on restrictor plate racing or go back to the previous years lowering the spoiler height to lessen the massive runs to the back of the car. If you lower horsepower too then lowering anything cancels out and still have wrecks in pack racing. The record speed at Daytona was Bill Elliott at 210 MPH without a plate for a qualifying lap. Speeds are already at 200 MPH going around the track. Of course 2 cars drafting regardless of a plate or not will be faster but you remove pack racing with inexperienced gear heads running up front causing hell or a Stenhouse you never see up front any other time of year except at Daytona/Talladega. It's just the nature of the beast with plate racing. There's thrill and excitement. But it giveth and it taketh.

I just feel like changing the package would be a knee jerk reaction and solve nothing.

The run he got was only due to Newman getting too big of a gap on Blaney and Hamlin. That big of a run would have come with any past super speedway packages. On top of that, this wreck also could have occurred at any 1.5 or 2 mile track.

Racing is dangerous and will never be completely safe. I do think NASCAR should take a look into strengthening the area of the car where Newman got hit. But changing the package or taking Talladega or Daytona off the schedule like people have suggested on social media is not the answer.

They don't run in packs of 30-40 cars on 1 1/2-2 mile tracks and don't have "the big one" involving 15-20 cars. They need to get rid of the restrictor plate packages. I agree that this was a fluke thing but you just don't typically see wrecks involving 15-20 cars because they are only bunched up on restarts then the field gets spread out.

I just feel like changing the package would be a knee jerk reaction and solve nothing.

The run he got was only due to Newman getting too big of a gap on Blaney and Hamlin. That big of a run would have come with any past super speedway packages. On top of that, this wreck also could have occurred at any 1.5 or 2 mile track.

Racing is dangerous and will never be completely safe. I do think NASCAR should take a look into strengthening the area of the car where Newman got hit. But changing the package or taking Talladega or Daytona off the schedule like people have suggested on social media is not the answer.

The restrictor plate/Tapered Spacer is the issue. If they want to slow down the cars there are ways to do it without restrictor plates and keeping the cars bunched up. They can limit gear ratio's in the transmission and rear end. They can make aero changes that cause cars to become unstable when tucked under another car to bump draft and also have tires causing speeds to fall off quickly making a good handling car the premium. The speeds at tracks with a lot of tire wear like Darlington can drop 15-20 MPH or more in some of the ill handling cars in a fuel run.
They tried something like that ten years ago which led to the tandem racing. The fans raised hell and they made changes to create more pack racing. Fans are conditioned for pack racing at Daytona and Talladega. Its exciting and unpredictable, guys that don't have a shot at winning are in it until the end.

There are probably ways to improve it, but the result of Newman's accident shouldn't be a deterent. That can happen anywhere on a mile and a half and above.

the whole series has become nothing more than the old IROC series where everyone had the same cars and it was up to drivers to make the difference.
it sucked. like 4 year olds soccer games; just one mass moving.
back the fans up, build the fence higher, and let them run whatever engine package that they can keep on the ground. could you imagine if they could actually accelerate and pass another car??? then have to slow down for the corners? instead, they put a brick on the go-pedal and occasionally tap the brake but never lift the throttle.

Reactions: 420grover
ERFewyxXUAEOcVm

I am just amazed that Newman's car wasn't engulfed in flames. It was burning around the gas nozzle and then gas started gushing from the tank onto the ground. It had to be the grace of God that it didn't explode into flames.

Those racing tanks rarely leak. Many safe guards. Fuel pump stops when motor or stops
Only fuel leaks you’ll see is what is in hose from tank to injectors. Fill line has two check valves. One on side of car, one in tank

I believe that was water running out. Gas would have caught fire.
They carry a tank and radiator
More water helps cool motor in traffic and cooler motor means more horse power

Also have large oil tanks (and no oil pans on motor) for same reason, cooler oil equals cooler motor They hold much more oil than average cars

That might have been oil. They use really thin oil in restrictor plate engines. Also increases hp

Reactions: ky8335
His death, while tragic, ultimately led to NASCAR creating an R&D Center and a vast improvement to driver safety through the evolution of their cars.
It's not tragic to die doing what you love. If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price.

MassiveSatisfiedBoa-size_restricted.gif

Rusty Wallace ran laps a few years ago at Talladega without a restrictor plate. Average speed was 237 mph
Motors have less hp now so they probably could not reach that speed today but still over 220. Too fast

Those cars can run much faster on Daytona and Talladega than they are racing. This is why they run in packs. All fans know this

To stop pack racing they need aero changes like someone else suggested. Make handling much more difficult and speeds slow down and cars will spread out.

Or put a inter loop on one straight stretch. It would be like a speed bump and a major handling issue. This is the cheapest and fastest way to stop pack racing. Plenty infield area at both plate tracks.

Newman’s crash wasn’t because of the pack racing but a mad dash to win a race. They are bunched up at any track during a green, white, checkered ending.

They can come up with many safety improvements but racing will be dangerous

if you don’t like carnage you’d hate super bike racing. Probably why it’s rarely on tv

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT