ADVERTISEMENT

My plan going forward

CBBCrazy

All-American
Feb 18, 2007
Cal Sucks!!
My plan going forward is a big change from what I have done in the past. From now on I will have the mindset to expect 6-8 guys going each year. In May or June just look to see what we have and try and evaluate our chances of a championship team or less and move on.
I have struggled with the NBA system of one and done, now it is none and done possibly. I am just old school I guess and that won't change, roll with the flow and try and remember their names before they leave. It is what it is....Go CATS !!!!!!!!

I'm with you. It's easy to get caught up in all of it. I love to following recruiting but it's not worth it anymore. I am canceling rivals. We'll get whoever for a year or a semester. Just going to enjoy the ride and not be as emotionally vested anymore. It is what it is! We will be good every year but never have the upperclassmen to win another one. This has spiraled out of control. There are several articles out today "none and done". It's now a whole new level of crazy.

In just 3 weeks we will know more about who our team will be.I know this Diallo situation is frustrating but I think he will return because I just can't see him being a first round pick this year.I think we also add Bamba and Johnson and that team has a great chance at a final 4 in a down year.Things will start looking up for our cats.

In just 3 weeks we will know more about who our team will be.I know this Diallo situation is frustrating but I think he will return because I just can't see him being a first round pick this year.I think we also add Bamba and Johnson and that team has a great chance at a final 4 in a down yeat.Things will start looking up for our cats.
I agree that I think Diallo will return. I also think we get Bamba. But I don't do any hand wringing because I trust Cal to take care of the situation.

Congratulations.

I've been in that plan since 2011.

Handwringing, wishing, hoping, dreaming players will come back are all just ways to piss yourself off. I always assume anyone who can possibly go will, and if one or two stay, it's a bonus.

Everything is going perfect.

The only thing I would change, is every year that we have the most draft picks, I would like to see us hang a banner like we do with Final Fours, National Runnerup, and National Champions.

It could say something simple, like:

2017 NBA Draft Champions
5 Draft Picks
U.K.
Wildcats!

Also, instead of so many of our fans that waste their hard earned money going to the SEC, and NCAA tournaments every year, quit doing that, and start packing Rupp Arena on draft night every year.

They could charge $100.00 a ticket, get 24,000 fans, and everyone would still save money over what they would spend going to tournament games.

And, think about when the last pick is called, and we realize we're draft champions again, the streets of Lexington would be euphoric....the bars packed, people could burn their couches,
fans would see the flames for miles.

The t-shirt vendors would make a fortune.

Last edited:
Everything is going perfect.

The only thing I would change, is every year that we have the most draft picks, I would like to see us hang a banner like we do with Final Fours, National Runnerup, and National Champions.

It could say something simple, like:

2017 NBA Draft Champions
5 Draft Picks
U.K.
Wildcats!
I see you are in full dick mode today.

Reactions: Blueaz
My plan going forward is to do what I have always done since Cal has been here- enjoy the continuing success of the best program in the nation.
We always have decently good teams but what is a successful year to you? For me its achieving a title. What i think alot of fans are tired of is we now know its has nothing to do with what we want, titles, tradition, its ALL about craming recruits into the green room. Cal is perfectly in heaven losing a first or second round game, or NIT game as long as he gets 6 players on the NBA stage. We now know that is ALL he is about. When he was flying out to have a home visit with the twins he admitted on tv he doesnt feel like a coach he feels like he is in the buisness of helping families. We have been tricked into thinking Cal can recruit the best of the best and take us to the promise land and now we know it has zero to do with us, UK, or our great tradition. Its a shame.

Everything is go
We always have decently good teams but what is a successful year to you? For me its achieving a title. What i think alot of fans are tired of is we now know its has nothing to do with what we want, titles, tradition, its ALL about craming recruits into the green room. Cal is perfectly in heaven losing a first or second round game, or NIT game as long as he gets 6 players on the NBA stage. We now know that is ALL he is about. When he was flying out to have a home visit with the twins he admitted on tv he doesnt feel like a coach he feels like he is in the buisness of helping families. We have been tricked into thinking Cal can recruit the best of the best and take us to the promise land and now we know it has zero to do with us, UK, or our great tradition. Its a shame.
Kentucky basketball, home of the greatest tradition in college basketball, has had but 8 successful seasons. Amazing.

Cal has taken the worry out of recruiting. He will get some of the best players every year. Cal has recruited at unprecedented levels at UK. But he has also had UK in the hunt for a title almost every year. For us older fans, we know this is not the norm. So enjoy it folks.

We have four titles in 60 years. He has one of them in 7 years. I'm tired of fans like you talking about titles when UK wins one every 20 years or so.

His sarcasm was obvious so I can understand your post but.......... can you see just a little bit of truth in his post ? You have every right to love Cal and the early departures but surely you can see his point.
Kentucky basketball, home of the greatest tradition in college basketball, has had but 8 successful seasons. Amazing.
We have four titles in 60 years. He has one of them in 7 years. I'm tired of fans like you talking about titles when UK wins one every 20 years or so.
I appreciate your passion, but man, you're hardcore on anyone that has an opposing view.
Geez, lighten up on your fellow UK fans.

Get some drinks, play some golf, go to Keeneland.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I appreciate your passion, but man, you're hardcore on anyone that has an opposing view.
Geez, lighten up on your fellow UK fans.

Get some drinks, play some golf, go to Keeneland.
Me hardcore? Hardly. I just can't comprehend someone talking about titles. Like UK was winning them left and right before Cal. If someone wants to point to titles only, UK basketball has been an absymal failure since 1958. The thing is, basketball success is bigger than just winning the title. If your team can be in the hunt, and have good quality kids in your program that can help the university while reaching their dreams, that is a successful basketball team.

Me hardcore? Hardly. I just can't comprehend someone talking about titles. Like UK was winning them left and right before Cal. If someone wants to point to titles only, UK basketball has been an absymal failure since 1958. The thing is, basketball success is bigger than just winning the title. If your team can be in the hunt, and have good quality kids in your program that can help the university while teaching their dreams, that is a successful basketball team.
Fair enough.

His sarcasm was obvious so I can understand your post but.......... can you see just a little bit of truth in his post ? You have every right to love Cal and the early departures but surely you can see his point.
I honestly don't like the early departures at all. But that's the environment we are in today. I strongly remember this time of year pre-Cal for about 12 years and it was Avery hopeless feeling. I Love what Cal has done for our program and University. We have the ONLY blue blood program not having a scandal, control issues with our players, or any other light. Our biggest complaint is we bring in the best and they want to move on to seek their dream and the program has helped many do just that.

As far as under achieving, who is honestly over achieving as a whole complete program that is positively representing its University? I would have to say Cal has made UK one of the most recognized and respected college "brands" in existence. UK was falterring as a basketball institution prior to his arrival.

Not gonna do anything. Lol. Fans like you have a right to post like everyone else.
Well now you contradicting yourself. You're whining about my opinion but you say it's OK, I'm entitled to it. Now you're being a snitch passive aggressive smart-ass talking about me to other posters. So shut up if I'm entitled to MY opininon snowflake.

Cal needs to find some more Hawkins and Willis type players. This years team would have less positive results without these type players.
i don't disagree with this. I'm not quite sure Hawkins wasn't the third best player on the team at the end of last year. But you have 6 five stars wanting to commit, which ones are you gonna tell to go find another school?

Well now you contradicting yourself. You're whining about my opinion but you say it's OK, I'm entitled to it. Now you're being a snitch passive aggressive smart-ass talking about me to other posters. So shut up if I'm entitled to MY opininon snowflake.
Listen you jackass. I'm not whining about your opinion. I think it's uniformed and dim witted. But you are certainly entitled to post it.

And how exactly am I being a snitch talking about you? Lol. It boggles the mind some of things I read on here. [laughing]

i don't disagree with this. I'm not quite sure Hawkins wasn't the third best player on the team at the end of last year. But you have 6 five stars wanting to commit, which ones are you gonna tell to go find another school?
Good point.

I guess there's not a sure fire, 100% perfect way of doing it.

I think the Diallo thing has irritated some of us, and fans react emotionally at first. Eventually, emotions will subside and most will see that, despite not being a perfect way of doing things, it's still pretty damn successful.

Good point.

I guess there's not a sure fire, 100% perfect way of doing it.

I think the Diallo thing has irritated some of us, and fans react emotionally at first. Eventually, emotions will subside and most will see that, despite not being a perfect way of doing things, it's still pretty damn successful.
Kev none of us know if he is going. Just getting some NBA feedback. You would want the same for your son if he could be lucky enough to be in that position.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
The way I see it, UK BB is in the Calipari era which means that WE the fans have no idea which players will return from year to year. Except for ONE year (Noel injury), Calipari has had UK in the mix for a deep run in the NCAAT...even when a lot of people didn't think the CATS would go very far. MOST teams would KILL:uzi::alien: for the kind of success that UK has had during this period of time. Now, will next seasons team be any good? Who knows...NONE OF US...until they get into the middle of the season. I'll leave it to Coach Calipari to keep UK as a contender for the NCAAT Championship. If UK starts bowing out in the first or second round or missing the NCAAT... then things will need to be reevaluated. But for now, [thumb2] Just sit back and enjoy the ride...

Kev none of us know if he is going. Just getting some NBA feedback. You would want the same for your son if he could be lucky enough to be in that position.
No doubt.

This is just different than the one and done, and that's what some fans are irritated about. But, like I said, emotions will subside and everyone will be on board again come October.

Me hardcore? Hardly. I just can't comprehend someone talking about titles. Like UK was winning them left and right before Cal. If someone wants to point to titles only, UK basketball has been an absymal failure since 1958. The thing is, basketball success is bigger than just winning the title. If your team can be in the hunt, and have good quality kids in your program that can help the university while reaching their dreams, that is a successful basketball team.

Absolutely. These title or bust guys don't want to hear that. UNC, UCLA and Duke both have more titles than UK in the last 60 years roughly and UCONN has just as many. Point is, it is tough to win a title and UK has choked a lot, well before Cal (again does not fit the agenda).

Reactions: brianpoe
Hey Big Blue Nation,

Just giving an outsiders opinion.

Any team in the country would kill to get the recruits you guys do. But seeing them go so fast would be hard. From a KU fan I personally can't stand the one and done and we only have 1 maybe 2 a year. It would be hard for me to see 5, 6, or even 7 players leave a year with the majority of them being freshman.

However one thing nobody can argue is wins and more than that is final fours. You guys have as good as chance as anyone to be there again next year.

This is how it's gonna be as long as the rules stay how they are and Cal is your coach. If I was a UK fan u would embrace it and enjoy the ride.

Good luck the rest of the recruiting season and we will see you guys next season.

Hey Big Blue Nation,

Any team in the country would kill to get the recruits you guys do. But seeing them go so fast would be hard. From a KU fan I personally can't stand the one and done and we only have 1 maybe 2 a year. It would be hard for me to see 5, 6, or even 7 players leave a year with the majority of them being freshman.

However one thing nobody can argue is wins and more than that is final fours. You guys have as good as chance as anyone to be there again next year.

This is how it's gonna be as long as the rules stay how they are and Cal is your coach. If I was a UK fan u would embrace it and enjoy the ride.

Good luck the rest of the recruiting season and we will see you guys next season.
Yep...Calipari's system isn't for everyone, but, as long as the CATS are in the HUNT for a title, then it's hard for ME to complain.

Do what I've done. Assume from the beginning we will have a good season but probably won't win the tournament. Reality. In my 58 years, we've won the title 4 times, yet we've had the best team numerous times. The reality of the thing is this, the chances of winning the ncaa tournament are slim even for a very good team.
It's silly to expect to win the title. Doing so sets you up for disappointment.

Hey Big Blue Nation,

Thanks. Now get off our board! Just kidding. Good luck to your Jayhawks next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT