ADVERTISEMENT

Motown

If you consider yourself a music fan, you need to watch the documentary "Hitsville: The Making Of Motown". Here's a preview.

Packed with tons of interviews with Barry Gordy and Smokey Robinson. Lots of details about the collaboration between artists. The writing team of Holland-Dozier-Holland. You'll hear songs you remember and songs you know, but forgot. Perhaps the best music documentary I've ever seen.

Music aside, Barry Gordy wrecked lives at an almost General Sherman-like pace.

A veritable scorched earth path of destruction in his wake.

Reactions: UK82 and funKYcat75
I realize that that's not exactly new ground for a record company executive, but even by THAT standard he was on another level.

Reactions: UK82
Love Motown. Used to play that Fender 4 string in a band back in the day and we payed a lot of Motown music.
Couple of years ago the Temptations and the Four Tops gave a joint concert here at the Tivoli Theater. I got to shake hands with all member of both groups including the great Otis Williams founder of the Temps. Have also got to see the Impressions here (who are from Chattanooga) a year before. Cool that these guys still perform when some of them are over 80.

Began 65 years ago. So many memories. Smokey was/is my favorite. Too many to name. Big part of my youth.
Temptations guy myself! If you are a big fan, and can do the trip, you should go to the museum!! Did not know that Marvin Gay was originally hired as a drummer with Motown. Play drums in the big hit Dancing in the Streets.

Last edited:
I love Motown. There is a Motown show in Pidgeon Forge that is a must see if you like Motown music.

Reactions: UK82
I have mentioned it on other threads but check out the Teskey Brothers. They are a group from Australia but they have that Motown vibe about them. Carry You, Say You'll Do, Remember the Time, Crying Shame, Pain & Misery and many other great songs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT