ADVERTISEMENT

Most under-appreciated Wildcats

I think Epps always gets lots of love from UK fans.
I may agree with whoever said Liggins.
I agree. Epps always comes up numerous times in these type of threads, which tells me he’s not really that undervalued or underrated.

Ed Davender. Top 10-12 in career points, steals, and assists. I've been saying it for years he is the most underrated player in the history of our program.
I always put Davenders stats in threads like these. Crazy to think where he ranked when he quit playing:

7th all time in career points
4th all time in assists
1st all time in steals
4th all time in free throws made

Who you got?

For me, it's Doron Lamb, the unsung hero of the 2012 title team. AD got the glory, and deservedly so, but I feel Lamb's deadeye shooting and endless motion without the ball was just as important, especially in the title game.
I think Lamb could be up there but he’s also the dude everyone thinks of for best shooting.

I’d go with Terrance Jones, or Julius Randle(total monster) who led us to a title game, and Bam Adebayo. Bam was the only big man on the 2017 team and he not only scored but defended the hell out of the paint by himself. Makes me sick that team got robbed . Final four easy and probable title.

For a guy whose teams were just good, I’d say Isaiah Briscoe. He caught a lot of flack but he was one of the best finishers we have had under Cal, he could handle the ball, and let us play fast with 3 guards(but he guarded and played like a SF.) he was very good and under appreciated.

Obviously these are Cal only players. All time I’d really have to think. Off the top of my head Louie Dampier. He’s one of the best guards we had but he’s rarely mentioned. If he had the 3 point line he would have the scoring record probably.

I always put Davenders stats in threads like these. Crazy to think where he ranked when he quit playing:

7th all time in career points
4th all time in assists
1st all time in steals
4th all time in free throws made
Yeah, I can't think of another player in my lifetime who is more forgotten than Ed. He was a really good defender as well.

Chris gettlefinger huge piece to that 78 team that hung one
I actually came in this thread to post Truman Claytor who is sitting next to Gettlefinger in my avatar. Most on here wouldn't even know Claytor was the other starting guard (Macy) on the 78 championship team.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I actually came in this thread to post Truman Claytor who is sitting next to Gettlefinger in my avatar. Most on here wouldn't even know Claytor was the other starting guard (Macy) on the 78 championship team.
I remember him well and, believe it or not, almost mentioned him earlier. He was a really solid piece of the 78 championship team.

Truman is who I compared Reeves to last year, in that they were the 2 streakiest shooting wildcats I can remember.

Reactions: storm1507
In this thread I see a ton of Wildcats who get tons of love. I wouldn't call Darius Miller, Doron Lamb or Terrance Jones underappreciated.

IMO the most underrated Cat of the Cal era has to be Archie Goodwin. He just gets forgotten on a bad team. He averaged 14 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, a steal and a block each game. Turnover prone, but ended up being a first round pick.

In this thread I see a ton of Wildcats who get tons of love. I wouldn't call Darius Miller, Doron Lamb or Terrance Jones underappreciated.

IMO the most underrated Cat of the Cal era has to be Archie Goodwin. He just gets forgotten on a bad team. He averaged 14 points, 5 boards, 3 assists, a steal and a block each game. Turnover prone, but ended up being a first round pick.
Archie is stretching it big time. He was a terrible shooter for a guard (26% from 3 and 64% from the line), had more TO’s than assists. His team wasn’t very good and he struggled that year.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Archie is stretching it big time. He was a terrible shooter for a guard (26% from 3 and 64% from the line), had more TO’s than assists. His team wasn’t very good and he struggled that year.
Something tells me if he had a point guard helping him create he'd have had less turnovers. And his game was drive oriented, and he was good at it.

Was he perfect? No. But he would have been a weapon on a better team.

For first round picks under Cal he gets talked about less than Orton.

Epps is the guy IMHO. He was key to '96 team opening things up and picked up a lot of slack in '97 when DA went down. Some may not realize he is #2 in all time assists and top 20 all time 3pt % (almost identical % to Delk).

He tourney performances as an upperclassmen were unbelievable too.

'96- 38/5 Asst to TO
'97- 32/10 Asst to TO

70 assts and 15 turnovers in 2 tourney runs....wow.

I'll go w/ Deandre Liggins on the 2011 squad...dude was straight dog
After re-watching the twenty-eleven ncaa game against wvu, it reaffirms my liggins choice, but also reminded me of another greatly underappreciated member of that team. I'm sure he's already been mentioned, but that dude was a rock solid anchor down low (led the sec in offensive rebounds) for us. Had a great tourney run, as well, against some pretty solid bigs. With 2 players, that 2011 team as a whole is probably underappreciated; sandwiched between the excitement of wall, cuz's "we're back" 2010 team and natl. champion 2012 team like they were.

Joe Crawford, Gerald Fitch, and Terrance Jones.

Randolph Morris became so overrated he was underrated if that makes any sense. He carried us into the tournament his last year here.

I doubt it...Wayne went to 3 final games (winning twice) and an elite 8. 6,5,6,3 for a total of 20 wins by my math. I don't remember UConn or Villanova having a 4 yr tourney stretch like that?
Yeah not sure, just trying to think of any teams that had a similar stretch. Of course nowadays with so many players leaving early, transferring, etc., it's much less likely.
I hate to be the guy, but the '89 Duke team went to the final four, and the '90 to '92 went to the title game. Thomas Hill and Laettner had one more game. They got destroyed twice in the final four though.

I hate to be the guy, but the '89 Duke team went to the final four, and the '90 to '92 went to the title game. Thomas Hill and Laettner had one more game. They got destroyed twice in the final four though.
Laettner (and hurley) was who I thought Turner took the record from. Didn't really remember the '89 season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT