ADVERTISEMENT

Most under-appreciated Wildcats

Who you got?

For me, it's Doron Lamb, the unsung hero of the 2012 title team. AD got the glory, and deservedly so, but I feel Lamb's deadeye shooting and endless motion without the ball was just as important, especially in the title game.
I saw the title and thought Doron Lamb before I even clicked on it.

Every time the ball left his hands I thought it was going in. Smooth, 3 level threat. Would have a quiet 20 pt game.

Terrance Jones, dude was a big piece of that 2012 championship team. Yet we never hear anyone talk about him anymore
There was a lot of chatter about TJ in the Justin Edwards thread. Dude was a monster! One of my all time faves. But I think even he got more appreciation than Lamb, the silent assassin lol.

Reactions: grevey35 and BBUK
Lamb would be more appreciated if he had come back for his junior year. He could have played point on that team and been a difference maker. With him and no injury to Noel, and those guys could have made it to the EE.

I always though Josh Carrier got a raw deal. I mean geez, he brought up the volume a lot of times and never even had to have a good game...

• Haha
Reactions: Cawood86
The obvious answer is D. Miller. People quickly forget just how important he was and how good he was.
That's probably a good answer, but I'm not one of those people. I couldn't appreciate him more. Even during that year, I told everyone who would listen that he was the key to that team. In my opinion, outside of AD, Darius was arguably the second most valuable player right up there with MKG.

Reactions: GoCats-GoHerd88
That's probably a good answer, but I'm not one of those people. I couldn't appreciate him more. Even during that year, I told everyone who would listen that he was the key to that team. In my opinion, outside of AD, Darius was arguably the second most valuable player right up there with MKG.

Agreed!! He’s forgotten a lot of times tho I notice.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
Bledsoe in a way. He was somewhat drowned out by Wall and Cousins. Not saying he was completely unsung, but he didn’t get the same level of recognition as he would have without those other two around.
I’ll reach even further back and go with Moss. Dude was vital at times, which is truly impressive for someone who started off as a walk on. Moss and Hayes were their own kind of dynamic duo. I wonder where Moss is now.
Willis/Hawkins could both make the list.

Trey Lyles is vastly under appreciated IMO. Huge piece to cats winning 38 straight before falling in the Final 4. Earned a firm starting spot midway through the season and finished the season very strong. No one ever mentions him, probably because of how the season ended.

Honorable mention to Scott Padgett, Erik Daniels, Marquis Teague, Eric Bledsoe, and Doron Lamb.

TJ comes to mind. Lamb is an easy choice too. I thought every shot he took was going in. Just like with Quickley.

On this team it’s gotta be Wagner as far as this board is concerned.

I don’t think Lamb is underappreciated at all by diehards. He’s universally adored.

Lamb would be more appreciated if he had come back for his junior year. He could have played point on that team and been a difference maker. With him and no injury to Noel, and those guys could have made it to the EE.
Never thought of Lamb as a point but maybe he could've been.

LOVED Davender! He could do it all, and was a menace on defense. Too bad we didn't go further as a team when he was playing.
Yep. Went to the line a BUNCH too. So much, that nobody has shot more FTs in a UK uniform. Davender is the epitome of under appreciated/underrated. Nobody even comes close in my opinion.

Reactions: bigbluelou
Just thought of another one: Wayne Turner. Wasn't spectacular but a really, really good point guard.
I always appreciated Turner...at one time I believe he held the record for most ncaa tournament wins by a player? Might be misremembering that...Jon Scott can probably let us know for sure

Reactions: bigbluelou
I always appreciated Turner...at one time I believe he held the record for most ncaa tournament wins by a player? Might be misremembering that...Jon Scott can probably let us know for sure
Yep, at one time he did. Could very well still hold that record not sure. Maybe some UConn or Villanova guy now?

Yep, at one time he did. Could very well still hold that record not sure. Maybe some UConn or Villanova guy now?
I doubt it...Wayne went to 3 final games (winning twice) and an elite 8. 6,5,6,3 for a total of 20 wins by my math. I don't remember UConn or Villanova having a 4 yr tourney stretch like that?

I doubt it...Wayne went to 3 final games (winning twice) and an elite 8. 6,5,6,3 for a total of 20 wins by my math. I don't remember UConn or Villanova having a 4 yr tourney stretch like that?
Yeah not sure, just trying to think of any teams that had a similar stretch. Of course nowadays with so many players leaving early, transferring, etc., it's much less likely.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT