ADVERTISEMENT

Most surprising margin of victory

Jan 19, 2016
What would you say the most surprising margin of victory UK's ever had? I think 72-40 win over Kansas was a surprise. Not that we'd win but How bad we've won.

Reactions: wentzel25
What would you say the most surprising margin of victory UK's ever had? I think 72-40 win over Kansas was a surprise. Not that we'd win but How bad we've won.
I thought we’d win nicely because we had been practicing essentially in the Bahamas in August. Didn’t expect it to be complete humiliation though.

Nov 11, 1977
UK 109--Soviet union 75

UK beat the supposedly best "amatuer" teram on the globe like a practice dummy!!

rr
My wife’s Stepdad talks about this game everytime he’s drinking. In other words, I hear this story every single time I see him. Beer and liquor are wet. [laughing]

EDIT: IIRC, he was in attendance for this game. I believe James Lee about put one of the Soviet’s through the rim on a dunk during that game. He said that Lee’s Mother would stand up and cheer during the games, “Dunk it James! Dunk it James!” [laughing]

Last edited:
I remember'15 holding UCLA to like 8 pts at halftime and Nick Saban was amazed when they cut over to interview him during halftime. Too bad we let off the gas.

Reactions: jmw23712 and bbn93

I wasn’t that surprised tbh. We all saw what happened in the Bahamas. We knew that team had potential to be a juggernaut.

I’d say #1 Florida in Rupp in 2003. I think it ended up being 15. But we were up 30 on them at one point in the 2nd half before tubby called the dogs off.

My wife’s Stepdad talks about this game everytime he’s drinking. In other words, I hear this story every single time I see him. Beer and liquor are wet. [laughing]

EDIT: IIRC, he was in attendance for this game. I believe James Lee about put one of the Soviet’s through the rim on a dunk during that game. He said that Lee’s Mother would stand up and cheer during the games, “Dunk it James! Dunk it James!” [laughing]
And if IIRC, the Soviet that Lee flushed down the rim was their 7'-4" center! Absolutely CRUSHED him!!!
Everyone in the Summer of '77 thought that either UK or UNC was the team to beat in 1977-78. After that Soviet game I was convinced that it would be The Cats!!!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
And if IIRC, the Soviet that Lee flushed down the rim was their 7'-4" center! Absolutely CRUSHED him!!!
Everyone in the Summer of '77 thought that either UK or UNC was the team to beat in 1977-78. After that Soviet game I was convinced that it would be The Cats!!!
Yep that’s what he said. Said he about put dude through the rim.

Reactions: Indyadolph
I wasn’t that surprised tbh. We all saw what happened in the Bahamas. We knew that team had potential to be a juggernaut.

I’d say #1 Florida in Rupp in 2003. I think it ended up being 15. But we were up 30 on them at one point in the 2nd half before tubby called the dogs off.
“The Cats are for real, my friends!” “The Cats are for real!” - Vitale. Will never forget that.

‘86 vs U6 at Cheatem Hall. U6 defending NCAAT champions, Chapman scores 26 and the Cats won 85-51!!

That’s it, that’s the list!!!
I still have a VHS tape of that game. I remember Burnt Hamburger saying about Rex "he's the real deal".

I gotta go with the Cream Game in 86. Wasn't Louisville favored in that game? We had lost Winston Bennett to an injury weeks before.
Winston had ACL surgery at UK Med Center I watched with Sutton from the gallery Uavel was defending National Champion
Eddie called them Little Brother a moniker that will haunt them forever It infuriates the Jaybirds
Crum did not embrace the 3 point shot
King Rex went off with 27 points as the margin grew the Loserville fans bailed out and UK fans moved into the lower arena Cawood was rolling he said” Rex hit that one from the Watterson Expressway “
Final score was 85-51 Crum’s worst loss ever
In the CJ next day Bozich headline
“The Red Sea turned into the Dead Sea”[roll]

Winston had ACL surgery at UK Med Center I watched with Sutton from the gallery Uavel was defending National Champion
Eddie called them Little Brother a moniker that will haunt them forever It infuriates the Jaybirds
Crum did not embrace the 3 point shot
King Rex went off with 27 points as the margin grew the Loserville fans bailed out and UK fans moved into the lower arena Cawood was rolling he said” Rex hit that one from the Watterson Expressway “
Final score was 85-51 Crum’s worst loss ever
In the CJ next day Bozich headline
“The Red Sea turned into the Dead Sea”[roll]

Winston said something about his knee surgery and to this day it's used in "funny things said by athletes" compilations. "I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body."

you also have fsu in ‘93. they wanted to run with us and didn’t have the attrition/depth in the end. it was 108-82 over a team with 3 nba guards, and a ff on the line. that’s a pretty ridiculous margin in those circumstances.

you also have fsu in ‘93. they wanted to run with us and didn’t have the attrition/depth in the end. it was 108-82 over a team with 3 nba guards, and a ff on the line. that’s a pretty ridiculous margin in those circumstances.
Yeah. One of the best UK teams to not win a title IMO. I still say if Dale Brown doesn’t get hurt against Michigan, we win that game going away

Just another one to throw out there. 93-56 over Villanova in 1997 in what was supposed to be the big battle between Ron Mercer and Tim Thomas.
Good call. I remember that one very well. I remember Mercer took that challenge personally. We beat them like a drum.

Reactions: gojvc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT