ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Another possible scenario

gojvc

All-American
Feb 6, 2005
Just listened to Aaron Torres update from earlier. He floated the possibility of a renegotiated deal where Cal could come back next year with a four year contract, presumably at his current salary, BUT the buyout goes down to $5 million. So next year really would be his last chance and if he flops then there is a buyout UK can easily afford.

I understand trying to save money, but that idea is textbook kicking the can down the road. The outcome will be the same, except we’re then another year further from relevance and closer to Indiana status.

Reactions: KyCatFan and TM2013
I could live with that..but why would Cal? His buyout goes to 25M if he is fired after next year. Why would he just take it down to 5M?

The only scenario I could stomach another year of Cal is guarantee that Reed, DJ and one of Edwards/Ivisic back. And it should be a given Adou and Burks are back....they are fine at UK.

I understand trying to save money, but that idea is textbook kicking the can down the road. The outcome will be the same, except we’re then another year further from relevance and closer to Indiana status.
Maybe. But someone made an interesting point earlier today, that a full buyout may tap out our donors to where we are a NIL loser the next few years, thus have trouble competing for players.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I could live with that..but why would Cal? His buyout goes to 25M if he is fired after next year. Why would he just take it down to 5M?

The only scenario I could stomach another year of Cal is guarantee that Reed, DJ and one of Edwards/Ivisic back. And it should be a given Adou and Burks are back....they are fine at UK.
I guess the motivation for Cal would be he wants to remain coach at UK. The assumption being that he either takes the renegotiated deal or we just buy him out now.

Yeah but Cal is the one with leverage, not UK. The only thing UK has over Cal is his job. The money legally belongs to Cal.
Cal definitely has the financial leverage. No denying that. But personally, I don’t think he wants the buyout. I think he wants to be the basketball coach at the University of Kentucky.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
It might be the only option. If the buyout money isn't there it's not there. Mitch can't conjure it up out of thin air.

Cal definitely has the financial leverage. No denying that. But personally, I don’t think he wants the buyout. I think he wants to be the basketball coach at the University of Kentucky.
I do agree. He has no intentions of stepping down.

Reactions: gojvc
He would want to protect his legacy

We have no way of knowing this looking ahead, but one could argue we lose more than $33 mil over the next five years in donations, tickets and brand value for keeping him.
If the buyout isn't there it literally doesn't matter if that scenario plays out or not.

Just listened to Aaron Torres update from earlier. He floated the possibility of a renegotiated deal where Cal could come back next year with a four year contract, presumably at his current salary, BUT the buyout goes down to $5 million. So next year really would be his last chance and if he flops then there is a buyout UK can easily afford.
Yep I mentioned this scenario made a thread about it 4-5 hours ago. That is a possibility.

While I still want him gone…if no one budges on the buyout, this isn’t a terrible option. It’s basically saying you either perform or we fire you.

This is where aaron got his scoop almost verbatim.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
If the buyout isn't there it literally doesn't matter if that scenario plays out or not.
If we can’t secure $6.6 mil per year for five years, we have bigger problems than coaching that need to be addressed as well. It doesn’t have to be paid up front and it decreases if / when he finds other employment. The very worst case scenario is $6.6 mil / year. Barnhart may not consider that money earmarked for a buyout, but there’s no world in which that amount of additional money doesn’t exist at UK if desired.

While I still want him gone…if no one budges on the buyout, this isn’t a terrible option. It’s basically saying you either perform or we fire you.
Yeah. When I try to set my emotions aside and think rationally about it, this isn’t the worst idea I’ve ever heard.

Reactions: CASblue
I like this idea, but if he doesn't... the best alternative is to have him announce his retirement after next year. He gets to ride out with the honors that he actually deserves. But if he is still so stuck on the money... fine. Then I say UK just comes out and says we don’t want him but we don’t want to pay him off. Cow's ego would not be able to take it… even at $9M/yr.

If that doesn't work right away, I say lets not go to ANYthing except the game. Cheer for the team, yell “Sit down and shut up Cal!” When he inevitably starts his ranting. And file out quick after the game so he does his post game radio show (when he ACTUALLY does it) in front of empty seats. That should do it. Presto!

I will only charge UK only $1M for saving them the buyout.

Then I will immediately invest that in a campaign to fire Brainfart!

You mean so the NCAA and refs can Texas A&M / Kansas him/us a bunch and make us have to fire him halfway through the year?

If UK has to make a deal to get to the end of the CAL era then fine. I will not watch one minute of live action if he is the coach and we have the next Pistol Pete, David Robinson, Jamal Mashburn, Kyle Macy, Tony Delk, blah blah blah.

I cannot stand the man or his nonsense. So if it is one more year of this crap fine. We will be the 2nd winningest program if this happens. By the time the 2 to 3 years it takes to rebuild we might be the 3rd winningest program. So be it we are not the Gold standard, we are not the silver standard we are the tin star standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT