ADVERTISEMENT

More news- La Familia Club

It says Cal created it. How is that getting out of his own way?
The NIL numbers haven’t been an issue . We have and have had highly paid players . It’s considered risky to some players not having some kind of collective like we’re doing now , and obviously it’s cost us . Not everyone has a collective , or much NIL in general . We thought we could show what people have made and be ok …nothing wrong with that idea , but you evolve and change. You do what works

Reactions: Fox2monk
The NIL numbers haven’t been an issue . We have and have had highly paid players . It’s considered risky to some players not having some kind of collective like we’re doing now , and obviously it’s cost us . Not everyone has a collective , or much NIL in general . We thought we could show what people have made and be ok …nothing wrong with that idea , but you evolve and change. You do what works
So you are saying this = Cal getting out of his own way?

By being innovative again. He hasn't been innovative in years. He's been lazy and complacent. He's been in his own way.

Get it now?
No not really. I've never heard being lazy (as you contend) described as being in your own way.

So you are saying this = Cal getting out of his own way?
I don’t think it’s that , but rather just evolving …some may say a few months too late . With our pro connections and billions in contracts, plus boosters , we can be ahead in this game pretty quick

The IRS has said no tax breaks for donations of this type. Hope it's not a deterrent.

Cal deserves a lot of credit for this, this is a unique and cool way to generate money for Nil and the collective
It's a good move but probably his only good move so far this offseason. And it was probably done out of desperation...but hell at least its something good.

I don’t think it’s that , but rather just evolving …some may say a few months too late . With our pro connections and billions in contracts, plus boosters , we can be ahead in this game pretty quick
I agree with you. I just didn't understand how it related to my post that was quoted

you don't think others are going to use this......Duke, UNC, Kansas
If this was the route taken, why not keep it quiet
So far there has been no peep of utilizing active nba players. If that really is a resource then Kentucky stands more to gain. Maybe this can be Cal’s new pet project.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He , like a lot of coaches and people in general believe NIL should be name, image and likeness, usually based on what you’re ‘worth ‘ . They don’t believe that someone should get money just to show up and play. But, he’s getting with it now like it , or not

I just want this fraud gone asap. I don’t give a rats ass what he starts, he has out lived his usefulness here and needs to go. We need a fresh start with a fresh young coach willing to coach for UK.
Well I am affraid I have some bad news for you. May want to have a seat.
CAL IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. He is about to turn NIL world upside down. I know a ton of you will reply back with some negative BS, but watch. Cal doesn't follow rules, he stays ahead of them. NIL has only been going on for a little while now, and covid didnt help, some of our boosters shit on not just him, but UK in turn because they didn't feel they got their ego stroked enough. Cal pretty much did what he did to MJ and told the holdouts to kick rocks. He will only depend on friends, loyal NBA alum , and ONLY the boosters he TRUST. He will not play the kiss ass, stroke the ego of the rich entitled donors who think THEY run UK. Maybe on the 70s and 80s, 90s they did. Not anymore.

CAL IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE. He is about to turn NIL world upside down. I know a ton of you will reply back with some negative BS, but watch. Cal doesn't follow rules, he stays ahead of them. NIL has only been going on for a little while now, and covid didnt help, some of our boosters shit on not just him, but UK in turn because they didn't feel they got their ego stroked enough. Cal pretty much did what he did to MJ and told the holdouts to kick rocks. He will only depend on friends, loyal NBA alum , and ONLY the boosters he TRUST. He will not play the kiss ass, stroke the ego of the rich entitled donors who think THEY run UK. Maybe on the 70s and 80s, 90s they did. Not anymore.
Sums it up. Took Cal a bit to figure it out, but he’s ahead of the game. Again.

I always wondered why Cal didn't do something like this.So many former UK millionaires in the NBA...
Former UK players are millionaires? Cal never mentions it. LOL! Usually and in his former state Cal was always ahead of the curve but seems to have lagged behind with NIL.

Interesting for sure. Seems to be Calipari flipping his nose at the traditional boosters. Great idea.

I guess we shall see. No matter what he does with NIL, it still doesn’t make him a better coach. His flaws are always exposed.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
My guess. The big donors are holding out NIL hoping that will encourage Calipari to leave (sooner), so Cal went to his former players.

my first thought as well

donor money is drying up, so he goes and taps his practice facility guys in the NBA
I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that some of the NIL guys were spurned by Sharpe and possibly some of our other players. Matt Jones came close to spilling the beans on this but refrained from doing so last week. Cal didn't require Sharpe to fulfill his NIL responsibilities. The boosters/NIL guys may not trust him anymore after that stupid stunt.

Last edited:
I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that some of the NIL guys were spurned by Sharpe and possibly some of our other players. Cal didn't require Sharpe to fulfill his NIL responsibilities. The boosters/NIL guys may not trust him anymore after that stupid stunt.
now I'm reading all the Cal sycophant's going after Matt Jones with Cal's announcement he's been working on this for "6 months", them calling out Jones for wanting to bring down Cal.

The only thing Cal was working on 6 months ago was asking Wheeler to stop throwing games.

The truth is closer to Cal has an empty NIL cash register, got embarrassed in the portal because of it and now is trying to save face with this La Familia bullshxx.

Cal will look you in the eye and lie to your face.

now I'm reading all the Cal sycophant's going after Matt Jones with Cal's announcement he's been working on this for "6 months", them calling out Jones for wanting to bring down Cal.

The only thing Cal was working on 6 months ago was asking Wheeler to stop throwing games.

The truth is closer to Cal has an empty NIL cash register, got embarrassed in the portal because of it and now is trying to save face with this La Familia bullshxx.

Cal will look you in the eye and lie to your face.
Kaluma, Dickinson, Johnson, and Spencer all heard Calipari's pitch, and none of them were okay with the idea of playing behind freshmen; and yet that's exactly the pitch that Calipari delivered to them: "I can't promise that you'll start."

Well, he promised the freshmen that they'd start. So the veterans are thinking what DeAndre Liggins was thinking over a decade ago when he opted for the NBA over returning for a senior year: Cal's going to play his freshmen over me, so I'm not going to play for Calipari.

Before any of you guys get too excited by all of this and go searching for the Daffy meme...this does not put UK at any sort of an advantage. What it does do is potentially put UK back in the running for some guys in the portal looking to cash in on NIL. Nothing more. Other programs have already figured out how to get $$$ to the players they hope to land. UK was at a serious disadvantage in this regard. See; Hunter Dickinson recruitment as a example. There is no way this was in the works for "months". Nope, not buying it.
Now, simply setting it up and hoping it works will not be enough. Some of those elite level UK bball donors are going to have to come back into the fold. And I'm not sure former players will jump at this like some think they will. The Anthony Davis' of the world have financial advisors that are paid to make guys money...not give it away. If there is no tax shelter in giving La Familia Club a couple of million, why do it?

I think it might have a lot to do with the fact that some of the NIL guys were spurned by Sharpe and possibly some of our other players. Matt Jones came close to spilling the beans on this but refrained from doing so last week. Cal didn't require Sharpe to fulfill his NIL responsibilities. The boosters/NIL guys may not trust him anymore after that stupid stunt.
Why wouldn’t they? If I was someone who invested in Sharpe I’d probably sue him to be honest.

I always wondered why Cal didn't do something like this.So many former UK millionaires in the NBA...
Because it shouldn’t be on Cal…. THAT should not part of his job…MB should be directing all of this.
Cal should be a huge role, but not setting up and formalizing this.
He should be at the end of making some appearances and calls.

Cal has created a non-pay for play collective that will be labeled La Familia. It will bring together prominent boosters and former players to raise money for the basketball program.

More will come out about this soon but this is huge news.
Not everyone is hailing this as a good move. When Cal leaves, we are penniless with no institutional fallback for NIL, which could cripple recruiting, bc everything is being funded by “Cal’s people” with no post-Cal-era loyalty to the school. Just one step closer to him burning everything down if forced out while also further insulating himself from being asked to leave like the lifetime contract.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Not everyone is hailing this as a good move. When Cal leaves, we are penniless with no institutional fallback for NIL, which could cripple recruiting, bc everything is being funded by “Cal’s people” with no post-Cal-era loyalty to the school. Just one step closer to him burning everything down if forced out while also further insulating himself from being asked to leave like the lifetime contract.
Surely other boosters would be motivated if he left . Supposedly, they aren’t giving in basketball now anyway, so no other option . When cal leaves , it’ll likely be a ‘farewell tour ‘ , unless he’s fired and paid a lot ….so there will be a lot of notice . Also , if he gets some bucks flowing , if he survives this year he will likely kill the portal next summer and be really good .

Surely other boosters would be motivated if he left . Supposedly, they aren’t giving in basketball now anyway, so no other option . When cal leaves , it’ll likely be a ‘farewell tour ‘ , unless he’s fired and paid a lot ….so there will be a lot of notice . Also , if he gets some bucks flowing , if he survives this year he will likely kill the portal next summer and be really good .
This is typical nonsense from a Cal hater. I have some news for you. The coach is nit giing to
Typical negative speculation from a Cal hater. The idea that Cal would do anything to "burn everything down" is just ludicrous. The man is too concerned about his legacy to do that. Furthermore the idea that this new initiative could cripple recruiting is ridiculous speculation. Your post is just an attempt to keep from giving Cal credit for this great move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT