ADVERTISEMENT

More news- La Familia Club

Shows the former players care about UK despite some people on here stating otherwise.

I like it. If some of the boosters are screwing over uk basketball to get at calipari then using the loyal high paid NBA players is a great workaround.

Shows the former players care about UK despite some people on here stating otherwise.

I like it. If some of the boosters are screwing over uk basketball to get at calipari then using the loyal high paid NBA players is a great workaround.

Couldn't agree more

In the works for months? Uh, OK. Just good that it's happening I guess.

It was insinuated elsewhere that they started working on this in January and the losses of transfers lit a fire under it. Essentially, players who were considering UK didn't think "in the works" was enough to commit.

I also read it has raised more money now than any other CBB program in the country. Can understand how if you think of who may be involved with this.

Sounds like the Calipari of old, who would use any advantage he could to take Kentucky to the top of the mountain.

I hope it's true. His legacy doesn't have to be putrid here in the last days. He can turn this thing around but he has to embrace innovation.

It is often said you have to hit rock bottom to change. Maybe rock bottom wasn't COVID year, St Peters, etc...maybe rock bottom was when his own players started telling him no.

Sounds good to me. Tapping into former players is a solid way to go with something like this. A lot of kids have been growing up watching former UK players in the NBA.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Why would he not have started this project months ago so it would have been available in time for opening of the portal. Just my opinion, but I believe not being able to recruit without guaranteeing money upfront caught him off guard . And he is realizing he must play catch up. If he has learned ,then good for him and UK basketball. If this is so, and if he came out, owned up to it, and showed a little humility fans would appreciate him more. JMO

Last edited:
It was insinuated elsewhere that they started working on this in January and the losses of transfers lit a fire under it. Essentially, players who were considering UK didn't think "in the works" was enough to commit.

I also read it has raised more money now than any other CBB program in the country. Can understand how if you think of who may be involved with this.
Making it public at this point sounds like major PR spin. Hope it is true. Something that was actually in the works 5 months ago would surely have landed some transfers.

Feels more like a more recent move by a desperate coach.

This is a positive move. Not keeping up with NIL, I'm surprised it wasn't in place already.

Making it public at this point sounds like major PR spin. Hope it is true. Something that was actually in the works 5 months ago would surely have landed some transfers.

Feels more like a more recent move by a desperate coach.

I get it but playing devil's advocate...he isn't selling chocolate bars door to door here. He is likely asking for a significant amount of money from former players (who have agents, lawyers, etc) and trying to launch a new initiative/club. Just saying I don't think this is something he could spin up in 2 weeks.

Guessing there was some desperation to get it done now type thing though.

so basically Anthony davis or booker can now help us reel kids in. This is actually genius. I've thought that this would be the perfect way for Cal to use NIL but I just assumed it wasn't legal. No one else seems to be utilizing it. Good on Cal for this. I bet they crack down on NBA players participating but until they do, lets get it.

Reactions: gharding07
I get it but playing devil's advocate...he isn't selling chocolate bars door to door here. He is likely asking for a significant amount of money from former players (who have agents, lawyers, etc) and trying to launch a new initiative/club. Just saying I don't think this is something he could spin up in 2 weeks.

Guessing there was some desperation to get it done now type thing though.
My point is we really do not know anything. This could be a concept mentioned over dinner in January. Now in June he calls a few players and people he knows who loosely commit money to he cause. I absolutely do think he could have spun up a “talking point” in a weekend let alone two weeks. Do not forget we are talking about the master of smoke and mirrors.

Now this may materialize over time as real thought and effort is put into it, but this 100% is a man in the ocean throwing himself a life preserver.

Reactions: KFuqua
so basically Anthony davis or booker can now help us reel kids in. This is actually genius. I've thought that this would be the perfect way for Cal to use NIL but I just assumed it wasn't legal. No one else seems to be utilizing it. Good on Cal for this. I bet they crack down on NBA players participating but until they do, lets get it.

They will because it benefits UK the most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT