ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Briscoe

I thought the interview Brisco gave at the NBA Combine was pretty telling to his time here and what he felt about Kentucky. Pretty much shut the interviewer down and asked (Why are you talking about college? I am no longer a college player).

My cousin's brother's ex girlfriend who was related to Briscoe's tutor told me Briscoe kicked a puppy and said F Cal while doing it.Must be true.

Reactions: Mashburned
Yeah, there will always be a whipping boy. The Harrison twins had it way worse, and it's really not even close. I like Briscoe, but his comments were dumb. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. If his professional career doesn't work out, he could find himself a nice gig somewhere in Lexington. See what I mean?
Harrison's got this x100. Aaron got more of a pass(and was the worse of the twins) because of all those clutch 3s
Again, kid shouldn't even have to go to class if he didn't want to, and he should be paid for it. This is basketball. That's why you recruited him to play for your university.
I think going to class is a major part of playing CBB. And paid for it? He isn't in the NBA/overseas yet.

Reactions: Cat78Scot
I saw my cousin over the weekend who just graduated from UK. She was a tutor in the CATS department for the athletes, including some basketball players.

She had some not very nice things to say about Briscoe. As well as, he didn't really have a choice on returning as there was (in her opinion) no way he was going to be academically eligible to play.

Some other thoughts from her:

Fox - maybe the nicest kid she has ever met. Very quiet and down to earth, very polite and a hard working student. Would have them re-look at homework, papers, study guides over and over again until he felt it was perfect.

Hawkins - very nice as well...didn't really need much help as he was a very good student. Said he always acted (in a good way) like he was about 30 years old.

Monk - very cocky (but in a somewhat good way). Has an aura of knowing how big a bad a$$ he is. Very polite and respectful.

You might consider letting your cousin know that by discussing these things with you, she is violating FERPA. FERPA violations put the university at risk of losing federal funding. Such a loss would essentially destroy the university as federal dollars pay for the vast majority of the research that is performed and federal loans pay a great portion of the tuition.

Its not good that she discusses these things with anyone, and its certainly not good that she discusses them with someone who doesn't have enough sense not to post her comments online in a public forum.

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
Briscoe is just upset that he has very little chance to ever stick around the NBA. He came to UK thinking he'd be OAD. That didn't happen. And despite Cal/staff doing what they could to try and showcase the guy, he's simply not an NBA player. He's a good college player that will make money playing somewhere. I just have a hard time seeing the NBA as that place. Because of that he may or may not hold a grudge going forward against the staff for how he was used when here.

I have no idea how the staff could have used him in a way to improve his NBA stock w/out hurting the team. As someone else noted, I think it's simply the case that UK/fans thought Briscoe was better than he was and Briscoe certainly thought he was better than he is.

Exactly.

Matt was talking about all of our players at the combine, they talked about why Fox should be taken over ball and how good he was and his interviews and how some people are horrible at them.. And then said what he did about Isaiah and his comments toward Kentucky.

I just don't think turning the cannons on the guy for

A: not playing Tucker and Tipton's little song and dance routine and hurting their feelings

and

B: not playing the Combine Interviewer's little song and dance routine and talking about how Ulis/Murray or Fox/Monk outshone you and forced you out of position and all that is fair game.

Basically, it rubbed Matt the wrong way, so now we get to speculate about how Briscoe was trouble for two years?

Seems a bit much, especially given our fanbase's demonstrated ability to handle nuance and doublespeak. It may clear Matt, but what 90% of the internet just heard was that Cal and the Staff had lots of trouble with Briscoe for two years.

By the way, Matt, appreciate you stopping by and clarifying this stuff. It at least helps keep it from getting out of hand.

Reactions: wromanp7
Matt was talking about all of our players at the combine, they talked about why Fox should be taken over ball and how good he was and his interviews and how some people are horrible at them.. And then said what he did about Isaiah and his comments toward Kentucky.

And in his first post in this thread he was nearly figuratively correct except; Somehow it was a nearly someone died but they are alive type explanation (Not sure how else to explain it. I hope it wasn't on purpose.)... A real hard take to comprehend unless you try to figure out the meaning of is...I never liked or hang around those long who do that type of explaining. It sounds good but if you read it, it means nothing.

Loved Zay's toughness on the court I have always defended his play, as he was just a tough as nails competitor. However an incident I witnessed on campus when Isaiah argued and threatened a fellow student in a food line, after breaking in line in front of that student, told me all I needed to know about Zay as a person. He is "oozing" with a serious sense of entitlement. He believes that everyone around him is there to serve him. I first saw this in Isaiah when he taunted Donavan Mitchell about not being a MCDAA their senior year. Its amazing how the tables have turned for these two young men. I hope he garners a little humbleness, as he progresses through his career journey, as a basketball player and wish him nothing but the best.
He's not the most likable UK player ever, and I'm glad he's gone.
I hope he finished his classes and isn't going to screw the basketball program like Orton did.
If he took care of his class work business, then I wish him the best. If he didn't, then screw him.

and I make it a personal motto not to say anything that I think could hurt the team while they are playing

Quoted for total wackness.

Basically, it rubbed Matt the wrong way, so now we get to speculate about how Briscoe was trouble for two years?

Basically.

But yea, thank god MJ didn't tell us Briscoe stole some kids fruit loops and called Sandy Bell a ****, or else it might have derailed our season.

You might consider letting your cousin know that by discussing these things with you, she is violating FERPA. FERPA violations put the university at risk of losing federal funding. Such a loss would essentially destroy the university as federal dollars pay for the vast majority of the research that is performed and federal loans pay a great portion of the tuition.

Its not good that she discusses these things with anyone, and its certainly not good that she discusses them with someone who doesn't have enough sense not to post her comments online in a public forum.

Nope, not true at all...absolutely not true.

Reactions: Deli owl
Since we are talking about attending school..... I went to school one time a long time ago. I think.... No that was University of Phoenix. I graduated with honor, Joey Honor and Martha Honor. I played on the basketball team. Although I am only 4'9" they put me at center. I averaged 27 points a game with 12 rebounds or was that 12 points a game with 27 rebounds. They retired my Jersey. I met my wife at school... one time and she married me we went to Laurel Lake on our honeymoon. We didn't catch any trout so we did not eat all week. We decided to stop by natural bridge on our way back home and decided to go cliff climbing after drinking 2 cases of fall city beer. We ran out of salt and stopped drinking at that point. Well anyway we proceeded to climb a cliff and got about half way up when Marty fell off. Oh, did I forget to mention Marty? He was a homeless guy we picked up on our way to natural bridge. Well any way Marty fell and I had to pee so I told my new bride that I would go check on Marty. Well as soon as I hit the ground I went to pee. After peeing I checked on Marty and you know it he was dead. I yelled up at my new bride and she started screaming and crying. So now I have to go all the way back up the cliff to get my bride down. Well, about half way up I seen her coming. She had fallen now I got 2 people on the ground. Well I had to pee again so I went down to check on my new bride and you guessed I went to pee first because I didn't think they would go anywhere. So I went to check on my bride and you know it she had expired. Well I had to carry both of them down the hill from natural bridge. Since I didn't know the guy I left him beside the road near the lake. So I had to take my new bride back to her parents house wrapped up in at back pack. I dropped her off about noon on a Sunday then I went home, ate and went to bed with Nadine Rumpgrinder.

Dollars to donuts not one person read this whole thing.

MJ says NOTHING without approval of Cal.

IMHO, when IB said what he did about "not wanting to talk about U.K. anymore", Cal took the reins off of MJ to tell about IB's attitude here.

Cal fights for his players while they are here even when they are a butt. Once they even hint at harming the program, he uses MJ to set the record straight.JMHO

Said without an ounce of proof. I don't see how anyone could think Cal has anything but love for Briscoe.

Reactions: Big_Blue79 and BBUK
Said without an ounce of proof. I don't see how anyone could think Cal has anything but love for Briscoe.

That's why I SPECIFICALLY said IN MY HUMBLE OPINION!

I am speculating on MJ's reasoning behind saying what he did today about IB.

Why else would MJ risk upsetting Cal?

Admittedly, I didn't see the IMO at the end, but when a post starts out stating something categorically, it doesn't follow that it's just an opinion. Anyway, I think people think there is far more interaction between Cal and Matt than there actually is.

Reactions: BBUK
I understand the frustration on this topic, but this is one where it is just better to move on. He is a kid, let's wish him luck and hope he represents himself and UK in the right way as he moves on with his career. Continuing to have more post on it, etc is just asking for negativity. Last thing I will ever say regarding Briscoe at UK, is that he was given plenty of chances to play PG in his time here and our offense was not good when he was in that position.

If Briscoe was not UK material and if his attitude was bad enough that stories are now coming out worth mentioning then it sounds like the head coach should have found a better player, fixed his attitude, sat him or something else. This is all speculative fwiw. Point being the guy plays two years then he leaves and now stories come out and/or chatter heats up. Timing....

Last edited:

Yeah but watching for the years Cal has been here he has never acted the way some are stating he is doing now towards a player. He never did that toward Orton and he did put the screw's to what Cal cares about. Don't count me as one who believes it. Who knows why MJ does what he does but Cal doesn't work that way. He works behind the scenes I do know but GEEZ, he just went to Marcus (touching) Camby's graduation. Less that, Briscoe will never be done that way by Cal...you are talking years and years of Cal's behavior.

I am not buying for a second Cal depends on Matt Jones for anything....jmuo (I am not stating they don't have contact.) I'd state Matt does get tidbits, information, and even asks from Cal but Cal will handle what Cal and his players do. He doesn't need a third party. jmuo (again)

Admittedly, I didn't see the IMO at the end, but when a post starts out stating something categorically, it doesn't follow that it's just an opinion. Anyway, I think people think there is far more interaction between Cal and Matt than there actually is.

I did the EXACT same thing to his post, I thought it was me. :) I responded the EXACT same way as you did too. :) :)

If Briscoe was not UK material and if his attitude was bad enough that stories are now coming out worth mentioning then it sounds like the head coach should have found a better player, fixed his attitude, sat him or something else. This is all speculative fwiw. Point being the guy plays two years then he leaves and now stories come out and/or chatter hears up. Timing....
I think it was obvious that his attitude wasn't the best.
How many times did we see him back talking Cal?
How often did he get into it with opposing players.

That being said, as long as he took care of his class work and finished the semester in good standing, then I thank him for his time at UK, and wish him nothing but the best.

If he didn't take care of his work, then he will deserve getting lambasted.

Reactions: crpoore
Dude is a Jersey kid with a chip on his shoulder, what with living in cuz Kyrie Irving's shadow. Not exactly breaking news.

If Briscoe was not UK material and if his attitude was bad enough that stories are now coming out worth mentioning then it sounds like the head coach should have found a better player, fixed his attitude, sat him or something else. This is all speculative fwiw. Point being the guy plays two years then he leaves and now stories come out and/or chatter hears up. Timing....

Correct. It's lame. And to hide behind "well I hear sooo many stories, but I don't tell them during the season because it might negatively effect the team", is something else.

Love the kid as a player and no one wanted to win more then briscoe but I can see why he is the way he is . He had this vision of coming in and being the man at UK and just never was . He just isn't as talented as he believes himself to be . He is a guy who will play in the NBA and carve out a niche IMO as a defender and ball handler but he isn't on the level of Monk , Ulis , Murray or Fox . He just isn't . I think he is one of the few that might not rep UK hard like guys like Wall , Towns ect do in the future . Alot of people like to bash him for his attitude but that is also part of what made him a good player. I have nothing bad to say about him but you can tell he sorta resents never being the Man here. At least that is how I read the situation.
I will be extremely surprised if he is drafted, or picked up on 10 day contracts. I dont say this to pile on him now tha he is gone, the truth is, as a 6'3 guard if you cannot shoot 3's, or 12 footers you will never play NBA basketball. His only way of scoring is driving for layups, now that wont work in a mans league.

If he dosent get swatted away and goes to the foul line, he is somewhat of a liability there as well. In the NBA if briscoe is on the floor his team will be playing 4 against 5. Briscoe just doesnt have elite defense, or any secondary skills he would have to have to justify him staying on the floor. I liked him at UK when he drove the ball, that wont be there in the NBA. But, il be happy for him if he attains his goal because although unlikely, nothing is impossible.

FWIW, GPA has nothing to do with APR score. It's only about being academically eligible. A 4.0 and a 2.0 are the exact same in the eyes of APR.

Correct. But let's be honest, that means all that matters is the 2.0. It's nice to brag about, but our team GPA being high sure hasn't changed anyone's mind nationally.

Stay eligible, or don't but let them play anyway because the NCAA is a sham, and that's all that really matters.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Untouchables96
I usually defend Matt, but putting this out there about one of our own serves no purpose and is inexcusable.

I was just as aggravated with Kyle Tucker trying to make a story about Briscoe's remarks, which was a non-story in the first place.

This type of media bull just doesn't happen at other schools. Rumor is Frank Jackson wasn't happy at Duke and had several heated run-ins with K. Do you see any Duke media folks digging into that one? Did anyone attempt to follow up on the Thornton fiasco? Sulaimon rumors? Hell No, the blue wall of silence came up around those stories to protect the image of the program. Wish our media folks did the same.

Even if Briscoe was upset at what little he got to play PG, when Cal did put him at PG when Ulis/Fox were out, our offense usually became a complete cluster. So, can you blame Cal?

At the same time, he was playing out of position at the 3, and his shooting just wasn't good enough.

MJ? You speak as if he's a comic book hero... This guy knows less than nothing about the inside workings of the team... As well, he doesn't know anything as well as he thinks he does... He's a liberal out of place... He needs to be the laundry boy for Berkley college, now there is a job for a dookie....

I just don't think turning the cannons on the guy for

A: not playing Tucker and Tipton's little song and dance routine and hurting their feelings

and

B: not playing the Combine Interviewer's little song and dance routine and talking about how Ulis/Murray or Fox/Monk outshone you and forced you out of position and all that is fair game.

Seems a bit much, especially given our fanbase's demonstrated ability to handle nuance and doublespeak. It may clear Matt, but what 90% of the internet just heard was that Cal and the Staff had lots of trouble with Briscoe for two years.

By the way, Matt, appreciate you stopping by and clarifying this stuff. It at least helps keep it from getting out of hand.

It doesn't take take a good understanding rocket science to see where Some of this is true. Some people take issue with anything that isn't placed into a positive light.

It's not a shocker that Briscoe thinks he was a OAD and didn't want to be at UK past one year. Not a shock that his family would try and turn it upside down as a "misused" problem. Isn't a shock that Cal was probably ready to move on. Briscoe has been recruited over, think he wants to deal with his parents on that one?

As I've said I've been involved in these circles before. Both professionally and personally. These things happen all the time.

I mentioned this earlier, but @ralphdaltonfan was less than complimentary about Briscoe last summer.

And this is a poster with obvious connections, who tends to be very level-headed and supportive of the UK program.

So there has been smoke way before this.

Maybe RDF wants to stop by and clarify. Maybe he prefers to leave it alone.

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT