ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Briscoe

I liked Briscoe.

Played his ass off. Thought of him as Bogans with no J. Rebounded, hurt dudes on D. He and Fox played smartest down the stretch as he didn't force things (and get swatted).

If I were in Chicago, at my pro-combine tryout, played pretty good in my scrimmage....THE LAST THING I WOULD WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS MY 2-YEAR UK TENURE AS THE FIFTH BEST GUARD (out of FIVE).

Kid wants to play.

If he had a shit attitude, we had a long enough bench to bury his minutes. Cal called him the team leader... Who's lying? Who cares? He's gone and wish him luck.

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY things IB did wrong were, he got fat and that he didn't close-out on the UNC honk.

Jones carrying Cal's water is OK. I'd do it too. Cal will be here many a year, as opposed to the mercenary lineups.

Just recognize it and move along.

I blame it all on that recruiter guy, Stash or Stack or Slap or whatever his name was, he hyped him pretty good.

Slice and man he was garbage. Worst assistant at UK and never understood why Cal wanted him in the first place.

Man what I would give to see Antigua back on staff. Barbee is not dud and I really like him as a person, I first met him in 2004ish and he recruited our high school basketball team quite often back then. Great guy, and very personable.

But Antigua is the guy I really wish we could get back. Don't know if it will ever happen.

Team leader lmao. Called bs on that one a long time ago. Fox always had to be the leader. Always.

More proof Cal was probably pacifying he situation. Benching him was no option for Cal. Would bury his pitch in the recruiting trail.

Briscoe was not misused. Enough of that bs. He couldn't play the 1 or 2, he wasn't good enough to take Fox and Monk's minutes.

Not all blue chips are the same. Briscoe was severely overrated. Cal handled it the best he could within the boundaries he's allowed himself. I feel no pity at all for Briscoe. This is how it works. Any other coach would have put him on the bench in a spark plug role where he belonged.

Briscoe and his posse can be upset all they want. Cal handled it better than anyone else would have. Blame God, he's the one who didn't make Briscoe the caliber of player espn and rivals claimed he was.

I will be extremely surprised if he is drafted, or picked up on 10 day contracts. I dont say this to pile on him now tha he is gone, the truth is, as a 6'3 guard if you cannot shoot 3's, or 12 footers you will never play NBA basketball. His only way of scoring is driving for layups, now that wont work in a mans league.

If he dosent get swatted away and goes to the foul line, he is somewhat of a liability there as well. In the NBA if briscoe is on the floor his team will be playing 4 against 5. Briscoe just doesnt have elite defense, or any secondary skills he would have to have to justify him staying on the floor. I liked him at UK when he drove the ball, that wont be there in the NBA. But, il be happy for him if he attains his goal because although unlikely, nothing is impossible.

Yes you are piling on in a passive aggressive, I'm really a nice guy if you get to know me, way.

Ok, that's makes sense. 1 is all I, or Cal, give a shit about. Briscoe busted his ass the majority of his two years here and helped make the university lots of money. He was a fan favorite for a few reasons - his on court work ethic and off candidness off the court. He should have been paid, period, like every other player we've had.

So MJ is basically telling us the kid was trouble in the classroom, and that's total bullshit. Wayyyyyy out of line. Again, kid shouldn't even have to go to class if he didn't want to, and he should be paid for it. This is basketball. That's why you recruited him to play for your university.

Still, MJ is broadcasting extremely vague rumors to get hits. "Smooth things out, giving ppl grey hairs, etc". Gtfo. What did he DO? Oh, you dont want to talk about that. Just sell tabloid bs to the fans.

wth you talking about? Is this sarcasm cause your description of total bs seems to apply to the two bolded statements above. Are you even a UK fan?

Team leader lmao. Called bs on that one a long time ago. Fox always had to be the leader. Always.

More proof Cal was probably pacifying he situation. Benching him was no option for Cal. Would bury his pitch in the recruiting trail.

Briscoe was not misused. Enough of that bs. He couldn't play the 1 or 2, he wasn't good enough to take Fox and Monk's minutes.

Not all blue chips are the same. Briscoe was severely overrated. Cal handled it the best he could within the boundaries he's allowed himself. I feel no pity at all for Briscoe. This is how it works. Any other coach would have put him on the bench in a spark plug role where he belonged.

Briscoe and his posse can be upset all they want. Cal handled it better than anyone else would have. Blame God, he's the one who didn't make Briscoe the caliber of player espn and rivals claimed he was.[/QUOTE]
I agree, Cal handle it as best he could… However I'm sure there is a lot of hindsight involved here... he is probably thinking (and being told) he could've gone to a different school and been the starting point guard and made better for himself... when in actuality it probably would have been worse.

wth you talking about? Is this sarcasm cause your description of total bs seems to apply to the two bolded statements above. Are you even a UK fan?

Yes, I believe our players are worth pretty good money, folks pay a lot to see them play, and it's bs they don't get paid for playing in the NCAA. If you don't agree with that, I don't respect your opinion because it's flat out immoral. Pretty sure Cal agrees with my opinion.

Briscoe and his posse can be upset all they want. Cal handled it better than anyone else would have. Blame God, he's the one who didn't make Briscoe the caliber of player espn and rivals claimed he was.
I agree, Cal handle it as best he could… However I'm sure there is a lot of hindsight involved here... he is probably thinking (and being told) he could've gone to a different school and been the starting point guard and made better for himself... when in actuality it probably would have been worse.[/QUOTE]
Totally agree with you.
Great post.

Reactions: crpoore
Yes you are piling on in a passive aggressive, I'm really a nice guy if you get to know me, way.
He is the king of passive aggressive… however, he claims he to never be like that....and has to have last word.
I put him on ignore.

Yes, I believe our players are worth pretty good money, folks pay a lot to see them play, and it's bs they don't get paid for playing in the NCAA. If you don't agree with that, I don't respect your opinion because it's flat out immoral. Pretty sure Cal agrees with my opinion.

That's not how I read it. To me it reads that we currently pay our players, not that the ideal system would be that they get paid and not have to go to class. Just throws red flags up if you don't clarify.

I agree that a whole lot of people are making a whole lot of money off of the backs of very talented athletes in the revenue sports. Also agree that it's patently unfair. The solution is much more difficult to identify but something certainly needs to be done but it won't cause the people making the money are in charge of providing a solution.

It doesn't take take a good understanding rocket science to see where Some of this is true. Some people take issue with anything that isn't placed into a positive light.

It's not a shocker that Briscoe thinks he was a OAD and didn't want to be at UK past one year. Not a shock that his family would try and turn it upside down as a "misused" problem. Isn't a shock that Cal was probably ready to move on. Briscoe has been recruited over, think he wants to deal with his parents on that one?

As I've said I've been involved in these circles before. Both professionally and personally. These things happen all the time.

I don't disagree. I think it was a situation where Briscoe wasn't as good as he or Cal expected but was still good enough to play the role he did, even if that wasn't the role he wanted.

I think it was handled as well as it could be by Cal, and that Briscoe gave us his best effort every single night in a role he had never played before. That's admirable on both accounts.

My issue is letting his non-story comments become this catalyst for airing dirty laundry. Pissing on guys on their way out of town because the tone of an interview rubbed Matt Jones the wrong way?

We're above that as a program and it isn't what we stand for. If that's all it takes to turn on someone, don't ever espouse that Kentucky Family or Players First stuff again.

Hope the recruits we are trying to get don't read what some posters put on here. I'm sure IB wanted to play PG here but he was always stuck playing a 3 guard lineup. Atleast he played hard when he was out on the floor.

Oh good lord, stop with this stupid "I hope recruits don't read this board" crap.

1) EVERY fan base, be it football, basketball , etc criticizes players at the water cooler, Facebook, message boards or whatever. EVERY FAN BASE. As long as they don't send them a direct message, then WHO CARES! Which leads to..

2) You expect to be a high level college or NBA player, EXPECT TO GET CRITICIZED. Part of the game. Always happened and will continue to happen. Don't like it, do something else

3) If you think you're good enough for the NBA before your eligibility is up, expect your game to get picked apart, especially if there's a chance you won't get drafted.

I'm in complete agreement.

I'd be 100% ok with them never being paid if the (non profit) NCAA didn't see a dime off of that billions of dollar.

For a supposed "non profit" group, it irks me to no end they profit BILLIONS. I think the NCAA may be more corrupt than the government

K, well give examples of why he was a headache and this silly thread will be over real quick.

The majority of fans are willing to believe it, but throwing out accusations without proof is irresponsible and doesn't help your argument.

What did he do? He was a constant headache for 2 years, but we don't know why? And even more bizarre, he was a favorite of Cal. That is what we do know. We also know he missed no games for academic or off the court issues. Correct?

Reactions: 2Dope15
K, well give examples of why he was a headache and this silly thread will be over real quick.

The majority of fans are willing to believe it, but throwing out accusations without proof is irresponsible and doesn't help your argument.

What did he do? He was a constant headache for 2 years, but we don't know why? And even more bizarre, he was a favorite of Cal. That is what we do know. We also know he missed no games for academic or off the court issues. Correct?
Jones said it wasn't major stuff with Briscoe but that it was constant everyday crap that drove the staff insane. He also said he had a bad attitude. Said if he were ranking the players who gave the staff the most trouble that Briscoe would come in 2nd, possibly 3rd.

Reactions: morgousky

1. Briscoe got snippy with a media person before this season when asked about 3pt shooting. It causes coaches headaches because they try to teach these kids good PR skills and Briscoe let his temper get the best of him (and did so again at the combine)

2. Briscoe acted like an ass towards Ulis and Booker when all they did was warn briscoe and Fox to be careful on instagram late at night... once again, not handling things the right way.

just two that classify as head ache.

I figured headaches meant skipping classes, getting into runins with students, that kind of stuff.

K, well give examples of why he was a headache and this silly thread will be over real quick

Real quick? Is that a promise? Well, he gave my poor Grandma bad headaches with his wretched free throw shooting his freshman year, and she almost had another stroke with the way he played live basketball with his mouth piece dangling from his lips. I gave serious consideration to getting the old black and white out of her attic just so the contrast from how he insisted on keeping his waist band folded over wouldn't be such a bother to the old hag, maybe one less head ache for me to deal with . . . and the way she kept calling him fat in front of my poor aunt Bertha, so self conscious about her own weight problems since Uncle Bobby went back to that smokin hot hair dresser in Jacksonville. When Bertha gets the sad sickness she drinks herself into a 3 day migraine.

Matt Jones is no favorite of mine. He's a fraud in some ways and isn't connected inside of recruiting circles like he pretends.

There, it's said.

But he is connected to the staff in some ways. It's not really debatable. Does he get anything other than what they sell him? Probably not. But even still, he's gonna get some inside stuff here and there that is correct.

This is not hard to believe. i 100% believe Briscoe had some issues with UK and the staff and have no idea how dense you have to be to need tons of proof beyond a guy like Jones verifying it. Read between the lines. Take your head out of the a**. Stop trying to be that guy.

This book is closed and I'm glad. Briscoe was overrated. We weren't winning a title with him playing 30+ minutes. That's what gave me a damn headache.

They do get paid it's called room, board and tuition.

They do get paid it's called room, board and tuition.

I never really understood this argument, I think it's really silly. Who is paying whom in this situation? That's like me saying I'm paying my kids rent for letting them live in my house. The university is simply letting someone sit in a classroom of 500 for free, and letting them stay in a nice dorm for free. They aren't actually giving the kids money, they aren't actually paying to have the kid sit in a class. Yes, they built dorms and provide tutors, but factoring over how ever many hundreds of athletes have stayed in the same rooms year after year it surely doesn't come out to 35,000 a year or whatever ridiculous number I always hear. I guess what I'm saying is if you let someone sit in a class (that you are already going to have with or without them) for free, are you actually paying them "to go to school"?

Last edited:
I was saying all year Briscoe wasn't coming back...even if he had to play in the D League. He never seemed to be happy here, for whatever reasons we can only speculate.

I talked with Briscoe when he was getting ready to leave for his NBA tryouts last year. He certainly wasn't an overly friendly guy, but I understand that talking to a complete stranger. I told him we wanted him back and he could be a star, but he had to do what's best for him. He said, "thanks, man".

I'm not surprised to hear he was a "headache" at times. I hope he makes it playing for pay somehow.

Oh good lord, stop with this stupid "I hope recruits don't read this board" crap.

1) EVERY fan base, be it football, basketball , etc criticizes players at the water cooler, Facebook, message boards or whatever. EVERY FAN BASE. As long as they don't send them a direct message, then WHO CARES! Which leads to..

2) You expect to be a high level college or NBA player, EXPECT TO GET CRITICIZED. Part of the game. Always happened and will continue to happen. Don't like it, do something else

3) If you think you're good enough for the NBA before your eligibility is up, expect your game to get picked apart, especially if there's a chance you won't get drafted.

"Every fan base" has considerable trash, as so called supporters, mixed in with the normal fans. Supporting a top program doesn't equate to being a top flight fan. It should but it doesn't look that way.

Looks more like some internet hard asses, who would fold under the slightest pressure, taking cheap shots at a good kid.

"Every fan base" has considerable trash, as so called supporters, mixed in with the normal fans. Supporting a top program doesn't equate to being a top flight fan. It should but it doesn't look that way.

Looks more like some internet hard asses who would fold under the slightest pressure.

I seriously wonder how many posters are rival fans that are here just to act like asses and perpetuate the stereotype of an unreasonable UK fan. And how many call in to shows, email national outlets and threaten officials claiming to be UK fans.

I know we have some idiots but as obsessed as some of these morons are, you know there are some that go to that level!

This is not hard to believe. I 100% believe Briscoe had some issues with UK and the staff and have no idea how dense you have to be to need tons of proof beyond a guy like Jones verifying it. Read between the lines. Take your head out of the a**. Stop trying to be that guy.

This book is closed and I'm glad. .

So, what's the proof? Everybody here is saying it's more than plausible Briscoe was a headcase, but we still don't have the proof that MJ supposedly has and will not divulge, for whatever reason. So, it's still nothing more than a rumor. If you're going to throw out accusations like that, you need to do the professional thing and back those accusations up.

Did he kick a baby? Did he not go to class? Puff the magic dragon? Again, I cannot imagine it's anything serious, so why can't you simply tell us the facts instead of just fanning the flames and trolling the fan base?

It's no different than a newspaper running an article based on nothing but secondhand quotes from an anonymous source.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT