ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Briscoe

I mean seriously...you guys actually needed Matt to tell you IB was a problem child off the floor?? Why do you yhink our GPA was lower??

Had anyone else told us, nobody would care. Because Matt Jones told us, people's heads are exploding.

Reactions: UPSCat4080
Again, before we go any further with trashing everything from Briscoe's body language to his IQ, can we get some facts about what was actually said?

Because every Matt Jones thread here is:

" I heard _____ on KSR! Can you believe that?!"

People argue for 10 pages.

Someone, or even MJ, shows up and clarifies.

Thread and discussion dies.

No one thinks more highly of Isaiah Briscoe, than Isaiah Briscoe. Not surprised by any of this.

IB has everything needed to be successful in the NBA except enough talent.. Alpha dog mentality without the skills to back it up. If IB had never came to UK, Dom could have provided the needed PG back up and maybe we could have used IB's ride for a real PF.

Ugh. I hate I even brought it up but... He was I think at one of the HS all star games and he and some other recruits were on video maybe being interviewed or something or just talking, and someone asked him a question that involved the word "adjective" and he asked what an adjective was, with a straight face. Kind of embarrassing and talked about a little on here when it happened, and talked about a lot by rival fans. It's out there.

I don't agree.Some just love to bash Briscoe.

Yeah, there will always be a whipping boy. The Harrison twins had it way worse, and it's really not even close. I like Briscoe, but his comments were dumb. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. If his professional career doesn't work out, he could find himself a nice gig somewhere in Lexington. See what I mean?

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
YEP, No talk of issues until now. Zip, nada, none...strange...but regular...

Good, very good post.

Well, there's probably a reason why you haven't heard about it (until now) and it's probably not a coincidence it came out now (after Briscoe's comments).

(And for the record: I don't like Matt Jones, but sometimes it's easy to put 2 and 2 together)

Well, there's probably a reason why you haven't heard about it (until now) and it's probably not a coincidence it came out now (after Briscoe's comments).

(And for the record: I don't like Matt Jones, but sometimes it's easy to put 2 and 2 together)

Briscoe said nothing bad about UK. He made a direct statement. he wasn't derogatory. When he made direct statements he made good statements. May have not been how some would phrase them but that is how he did it.

What a coinydink. I too have a cousin who used to tutor some UK players. He recently graduated law school in DC. He was a UL fan but went to UK.
image.jpg

Reactions: BBUK
Loved Zay's toughness on the court I have always defended his play, as he was just a tough as nails competitor. However an incident I witnessed on campus when Isaiah argued and threatened a fellow student in a food line, after breaking in line in front of that student, told me all I needed to know about Zay as a person. He is "oozing" with a serious sense of entitlement. He believes that everyone around him is there to serve him. I first saw this in Isaiah when he taunted Donavan Mitchell about not being a MCDAA their senior year. Its amazing how the tables have turned for these two young men. I hope he garners a little humbleness, as he progresses through his career journey, as a basketball player and wish him nothing but the best.

Reactions: westerncat
Briscoe said nothing bad about UK. He made a direct statement. he wasn't derogatory. When he made direct statements he made good statements. May have not been how some would phrase them but that is how he did it.

Ok

Again, before we go any further with trashing everything from Briscoe's body language to his IQ, can we get some facts about what was actually said?

Because every Matt Jones thread here is:

" I heard _____ on KSR! Can you believe that?!"

People argue for 10 pages.

Someone, or even MJ, shows up and clarifies.

Thread and discussion dies.

I just listened to the segment on podcast. These are the three most relevant takeaways IMO:

1) Briscoe is the kind of player you love going to war with on your team, but off the court it's a whole other story.

2) The only player in Cal's time at UK that has caused the staff and the school more collective headaches was Doron Lamb. Briscoe ranks ahead of Terrence Jones in that regard.

3) The staff had to bend over backwards to deal with Briscoe's issues and hi-jinx for the entirety of his two seasons here. He gave some people in that office gray hairs from trying to keep things smooth with him.

Man Cal really does do all he can for these kids, even if to the detriment of the team. He played Briscoe through his bad play and evidently bad attitude. All year long I thought Hawkins deserved his minutes and I feel that way now, but Cal stuck right with IB. Players first, except for 3-star Hawkins I guess

100% correct.

Hawk and Briscoe were essentially the same player, but Hawk defended better and scored better. Hawk was leaving regardless, we needed Briscoe to leave. No question why the 5* got all the marketing.

Isaiah argued and threatened a fellow student in a food line, after breaking in line in front of that student,

lol that's why I love Isiah. That's exactly what I would expect him to do, and that's why he played at UK. 6'2 fatty with no shot ain't playing for Cal unless he's a savage. And tbh, you should be slapped if you don't let a UK player in front of you. Get fn real. Who are you?

I just listened to the segment on podcast. These are the three most relevant takeaways IMO:

1) Briscoe is the kind of player you love going to war with on your team, but off the court it's a whole other story.

2) The only player in Cal's time at UK that has caused the staff and the school more collective headaches was Doron Lamb. Briscoe ranks ahead of Terrence Jones in that regard.

3) The staff had to bend over backwards to deal with Briscoe's issues and hi-jinx for the entirety of his two seasons here. He gave some people in that office gray hairs from trying to keep things smooth with him.

Thank you.

1. I think that's usually the case with most guys like that. Joakim Noah, for example.

2. I'd be interested to hear what these headaches were. Grades? Curfew? Public comments? Smoking? Girls?

3. Again, would love to hear what these hi-jinx were. Is he breaking the law, pulling pranks on Cal, what? I get that MJ can't say, and in all honesty, it's best if he doesn't, but now people are going to be curious. So if you can't clarify, don't mention it.

I do think it's in pretty poor taste to do this, though. If all the "issues" were handled, they must not have been too major. It feels like Duke fans trashing Frank Jackson on his way out the door. If the guy gave us his all, didn't break any rules, and left in good academic standing, I think you let it lie.

But then that's not good radio in May. And it'll be defended with "the people have a right to know," but that gets into my biggest beef with Matt: he's a journalist when it suits him and just "aw shucks we're having fun on the radio with our buds" when his feet are held to the fire.

Reactions: Ron Mehico

Ok, that's makes sense. 1 is all I, or Cal, give a shit about. Briscoe busted his ass the majority of his two years here and helped make the university lots of money. He was a fan favorite for a few reasons - his on court work ethic and off candidness off the court. He should have been paid, period, like every other player we've had.

So MJ is basically telling us the kid was trouble in the classroom, and that's total bullshit. Wayyyyyy out of line. Again, kid shouldn't even have to go to class if he didn't want to, and he should be paid for it. This is basketball. That's why you recruited him to play for your university.

Still, MJ is broadcasting extremely vague rumors to get hits. "Smooth things out, giving ppl grey hairs, etc". Gtfo. What did he DO? Oh, you dont want to talk about that. Just sell tabloid bs to the fans.

Since we are talking about attending school..... I went to school one time a long time ago. I think.... No that was University of Phoenix. I graduated with honor, Joey Honor and Martha Honor. I played on the basketball team. Although I am only 4'9" they put me at center. I averaged 27 points a game with 12 rebounds or was that 12 points a game with 27 rebounds. They retired my Jersey. I met my wife at school... one time and she married me we went to Laurel Lake on our honeymoon. We didn't catch any trout so we did not eat all week. We decided to stop by natural bridge on our way back home and decided to go cliff climbing after drinking 2 cases of fall city beer. We ran out of salt and stopped drinking at that point. Well anyway we proceeded to climb a cliff and got about half way up when Marty fell off. Oh, did I forget to mention Marty? He was a homeless guy we picked up on our way to natural bridge. Well any way Marty fell and I had to pee so I told my new bride that I would go check on Marty. Well as soon as I hit the ground I went to pee. After peeing I checked on Marty and you know it he was dead. I yelled up at my new bride and she started screaming and crying. So now I have to go all the way back up the cliff to get my bride down. Well, about half way up I seen her coming. She had fallen now I got 2 people on the ground. Well I had to pee again so I went down to check on my new bride and you guessed I went to pee first because I didn't think they would go anywhere. So I went to check on my bride and you know it she had expired. Well I had to carry both of them down the hill from natural bridge. Since I didn't know the guy I left him beside the road near the lake. So I had to take my new bride back to her parents house wrapped up in at back pack. I dropped her off about noon on a Sunday then I went home, ate and went to bed with Nadine Rumpgrinder.

So we should expect another "I told you so" thread on this lol

But then that's not good radio in May. And it'll be defended with "the people have a right to know," but that gets into my biggest beef with Matt: he's a journalist when it suits him and just "aw shucks we're having fun on the radio with our buds" when his feet are held to the fire.

Aka a fn politician

I saw my cousin over the weekend who just graduated from UK. She was a tutor in the CATS department for the athletes, including some basketball players.

She had some not very nice things to say about Briscoe. As well as, he didn't really have a choice on returning as there was (in her opinion) no way he was going to be academically eligible to play.

Some other thoughts from her:

Fox - maybe the nicest kid she has ever met. Very quiet and down to earth, very polite and a hard working student. Would have them re-look at homework, papers, study guides over and over again until he felt it was perfect.

Hawkins - very nice as well...didn't really need much help as he was a very good student. Said he always acted (in a good way) like he was about 30 years old.

Monk - very cocky (but in a somewhat good way). Has an aura of knowing how big a bad a$$ he is. Very polite and respectful.

no disrespect to your cousin but i find that very hard to believe
if i am not mistaken UK just posted a perfect APR
i believe to get that all players must be on pace to graduate

other than that great post

Reactions: Deli owl

Dodson? Orton?

Here we are once again with posts complaining about comments that they didnt even hear. Thanks to the poster above who at least took a stab at what was actually said. I won't regurgitate all of them here (you can listen on the Podcast) but I will say this...I think Briscoe is a great teammate and a good kid. I also think that he was a lot of trouble at times for the UK staff while he was here...not trouble in some sort of awful way, but a headache. They dealt with the headaches, but they were a pain at times. I think they still love the kid but I know there was some frustration a little bit at his comments, considering how much was done for him while he was here and how much nonsense they had to deal with.

As far as the "it is poor form to bring this stuff up", I think that is nonsense. Everyone likes "behind the scenes" information...but for some it is only good so long as it is either (a) good and positive or (b) bad about the people they want it to be bad about. What some people don't like is anything that changes their personal perception of what is happening or what they want to be happening. I don't tell all we hear by any means...and I make it a personal motto not to say anything that I think could hurt the team while they are playing (unless it is of a serious nature and cant be avoided). That is my "fan" side and it is something that probably separates me from a lot of journalists who have a different job to do. However the idea that now, when Briscoe has left, we cant acknowledge what EVERYONE around the program, and most around the University know...that he could be a major pain, is absurd. Briscoe's good, especially on the court, outweighs his bad...but there were issues...and those issues, none of which are serious but all of which were frustrating to the program, were a minor problem.

I don't say it to trash the kid but what I spoke about is common knowledge to everyone around UK and to NBA Draft folks. That is just a fact. If you don't want to know it, then don't read threads like these.

Thank you.

1. I think that's usually the case with most guys like that. Joakim Noah, for example.

2. I'd be interested to hear what these headaches were. Grades? Curfew? Public comments? Smoking? Girls?

3. Again, would love to hear what these hi-jinx were. Is he breaking the law, pulling pranks on Cal, what? I get that MJ can't say, and in all honesty, it's best if he doesn't, but now people are going to be curious. So if you can't clarify, don't mention it.

I do think it's in pretty poor taste to do this, though. If all the "issues" were handled, they must not have been too major. It feels like Duke fans trashing Frank Jackson on his way out the door. If the guy gave us his all, didn't break any rules, and left in good academic standing, I think you let it lie.

Good post

Not sure if headaches can be construed as problems. Being demanding is not a problem unless it is the wrong demand...jmuo

I can teach you guys a lot about body language of a player or person...how you guys are surprised by these things coming to light about Briscoe is shocking
The day you teach anyone about anything, is the day we as humanity will die a miserable death.

Here we are once again with posts complaining about comments that they didnt even hear. Thanks to the poster above who at least took a stab at what was actually said. I won't regurgitate all of them here (you can listen on the Podcast) but I will say this...I think Briscoe is a great teammate and a good kid. I also think that he was a lot of trouble at times for the UK staff while he was here...not trouble in some sort of awful way, but a headache. They dealt with the headaches, but they were a pain at times. I think they still love the kid but I know there was some frustration a little bit at his comments, considering how much was done for him while he was here and how much nonsense they had to deal with.

As far as the "it is poor form to bring this stuff up", I think that is nonsense. Everyone likes "behind the scenes" information...but for some it is only good so long as it is either (a) good and positive or (b) bad about the people they want it to be bad about. What some people don't like is anything that changes their personal perception of what is happening or what they want to be happening. I don't tell all we hear by any means...and I make it a personal motto not to say anything that I think could hurt the team while they are playing (unless it is of a serious nature and cant be avoided). That is my "fan" side and it is something that probably separates me from a lot of journalists who have a different job to do. However the idea that now, when Briscoe has left, we cant acknowledge what EVERYONE around the program, and most around the University know...that he could be a major pain, is absurd. Briscoe's good, especially on the court, outweighs his bad...but there were issues...and those issues, none of which are serious but all of which were frustrating to the program, were a minor problem.

I don't say it to trash the kid but what I spoke about is common knowledge to everyone around UK and to NBA Draft folks. That is just a fact. If you don't want to know it, then don't read threads like these.

For one, a Major Pain and Minor Problem (Both stated above) is a pain to decipher. What I see above is worse than a double negative or statement such as someone was killed but they lived. To each his own but, I'll pass and think what I always thought. Briscoe was high maintenance but with good intent and also meant no harm. Be Good

I'll go ahead and confess I didn't read through this entire thread. I wish I had time to do so, but it's a crazy day. Here's my thought on Briscoe and this situation.

From what I can see, Briscoe wanted to be the point guard all along. But he had 2 HUGE problems being able to play point for UK. 1. Tyler Ulis and 2. DeAaron Fox. He just wasn't as good running the point as either of those guys. And truly, there is no shame in that as both of those guys are elite pgs. Briscoe may wish to blame someone for this, but the ultimate reason is just that simple, he wasn't as good. This isn't a fault with the coaching staff or anyone else. They all did the right thing.

The other big problem for Briscoe has always been his shooting. If he could have shot the ball better, there would be no problem. And here again, there is no fault with the staff. This is Briscoe's issue, and he'll still need to solve it regardless of where he plays next season. If he could shoot, he'd be a star.

As for his attitude, I have no information on that. I think we all saw his attitude on the floor at times, so it's no shock he's hard to deal with personally.

My attitude toward IB is that I like his strength and tenacity. I like his will to win and his never say die attitude. This will serve him well. I wish him well. I hope he will overcome his other issues and succeed.

There is clearly an anti-Briscoe push right now. I'm not saying none of it's true, but I'm saying in these instances not all of it usually is.

There is no anti-Briscoe push from me. I like the kid. I know the situation however and everything I said is correct. He was a pain over the last two years. That is why I thought his comments at the Combine were unfortunate

There is no anti-Briscoe push from me. I like the kid. I know the situation however and everything I said is correct. He was a pain over the last two years. That is why I thought his comments at the Combine were unfortunate

I'm not specifically referring to you but thank you for clarifying. There is more a tone here (although it's pretty split between Briscoe supporters and defenders), the overreaction to the "I don't play for Kentucky anymore," etc. If he has been a pain for two years then I think what he said at the combine was probably either in character (as you would have it, and I have no reason to doubt) and thus unsurprising or even tame.

Why just say it now and not before?

In terms of stretching for a joke, this was like the lovechild of Gumby and Mr. Fantastic. But I can't help but admire the effort.

Ya know, I drop stuff like this once in a while just to see if anyone is paying attention. Usually aren't.

Reactions: Jkwo
There is clearly an anti-Briscoe push right now. I'm not saying none of it's true, but I'm saying in these instances not all of it usually is.

Well then, please share your insight into Briscoe. What has been said/put out there that isn't accurate?

Why does the truth = "anti"? There has been a lot of positive said about IB as well, but his comments at the combine were just dumb and in bad taste (has any other Cal UK player ever done that?) What part of what @MattJonesKSR is incorrect/inaccurate/unfair/anti-Briscoe?

Well then, please share your insight into Briscoe. What has been said/put out there that isn't accurate?

Why does the truth = "anti". There has been a lot of positive said but his comments at the combine were just dumb and in bad taste (has any other Cal UK player ever done that?) What part of what @MattJonesKSR is incorrect/inaccurate/unfair/anti-Briscoe?

I didn't specifically reference anything Matt said, I spoke in a very general sense that was meant to encompass a lot of the discussion on Briscoe lately.

Reactions: JFCats22
If Billy Joe called in to his radio to talk about this, omg, Matt would go all righteous on his ass, and use his "rafters" voice to prove a point.

:flush:

Why just say it now and not before?

Because it was in response to why his comments at the Combine rubbed me the wrong way. Knowing what UK folks have dealt with and how they have given him a great deal of leeway, not to mention how much UK fans will be his biggest advocate going forward, I thought he could have handled it better

MJ says NOTHING without approval of Cal.

IMHO, when IB said what he did about "not wanting to talk about U.K. anymore", Cal took the reins off of MJ to tell about IB's attitude here.

Cal fights for his players while they are here even when they are a butt. Once they even hint at harming the program, he uses MJ to set the record straight.JMHO

^^^This^^^Exactly^^^^

Anyone who doesn't see this exactly for what it is, well you are probably one of the same people who ran to IB's defense every time he acted like a head case on the court, or yelled at his teammates after making a mistake himself. His body language was awful all year. I was positive he would end up hurting us badly in the tourney by getting in a shoving match or running his mouth. Glad it didn't happen.

It was plain to see for 2 years, but especially last year, that IB was unhappy with his role and wanted to be "the man". Finally, after embarrassing himself halfway thru the season trying to shoot from the outside or putting his head down and bulldozing into the lane, he relented and began acclimating to the way Cal was trying to use him.

But, he was not happy about it. And this narrative that he was a Point forced to play the SG position is also bunk. He may have been a PG in HS, but he was not one in college. Anyone remember those debacles where Cal was forced to use him as PG? I do. More often than not, it would end up being Hawk instead, or at least as a dual role.

One criticism of Cal I do have is how he allowed IB to get too much of Hawk's minutes. I don't believe for a second it was anything to do with "promised playing time" as some here have asserted. Cal truly believed he could help us more than Hawk. Thank goodness he did kind of figure it out towards the end of the year and in the tourney.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT