ADVERTISEMENT

MJ on Briscoe

kyjeff1

All-American
Sep 8, 2012
You all hearing what he's saying about IB? I didn't know these things.

Some details might help?

So far, I've heard IB was hard to deal with and the admin bent over backwards to try and please him. Matt stated that prior to the IB interview after the season was painful and thankfully went well.
I haven't heard much else other than Ryan agreeing with Matt.

So IB won't be missed apparently by the staff.

Reactions: Col. Angus
So far, I've heard IB was hard to deal with and the admin bent over backwards to try and please him. Matt stated that prior to the IB interview after the season was painful and thankfully went well.

I hate hearing things like that about any of our players.

Thanks for recapping, I posted in haste.
But are you sure Ryan agreed with Matt? That never happens.

Unfortunately he came in with unrealistic expectations. A lot of it was due to the fact that people rated him too highly. He was never going to shine at UK with Murray, Ulis, Fox and Monk. I still wish him well, I just hope he doesn't put blame on our staff for his inabitliy to become a first round pick.

Some details might help?
Sorry about that, I was going to return to add details, but got stuck on the phone.
I hadn't heard that Briscoe was a difficult individual to deal with off the court. He's a bit of a head case apparently.
Cal and the staff do a great job of keeping that stuff on the down low, I'm surprised Cal is okay with MJ airing dirty laundry Like this too.

Last edited:
Being at Kentucky should have helped him prepare for the future in anything he chooses, some make it to the next level and some don't. He was rated high out of high school but that doesn't always mean you will be as successful at the college level too. There is no defense in high school and he was so strong he could drive and get most of his points and I'm sure he was among the best at that. To get that kind of rating you would think he would have been a pretty good shooter too, his outside shot is a liability at the next level, sounds like reality is starting to set in.

His expectations likely exceed his abilities. He may have been better served to stay another year. However, the starting PG spot would not be guaranteed with Quade coming in. He may eventually end up regretting his decision.

Love the kid as a player and no one wanted to win more then briscoe but I can see why he is the way he is . He had this vision of coming in and being the man at UK and just never was . He just isn't as talented as he believes himself to be . He is a guy who will play in the NBA and carve out a niche IMO as a defender and ball handler but he isn't on the level of Monk , Ulis , Murray or Fox . He just isn't . I think he is one of the few that might not rep UK hard like guys like Wall , Towns ect do in the future . Alot of people like to bash him for his attitude but that is also part of what made him a good player. I have nothing bad to say about him but you can tell he sorta resents never being the Man here. At least that is how I read the situation.

Well, Briscoe is a PG that was forced to be a 6'3 SF for 2 years because we had better point guards on the roster but Cal knew he was still obligated to play him.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realize Briscoe was a bit of an a-hole, and I really don't mean that in a bad way as I think it mostly just has to do with his tough up bringing.

UK spent 2 years trying to fit a square peg in a round hole when it came to Briscoe and of all the guys he played with that have nice careers ahead of them he's the only one facing nothing but uncertainty.

I don't blame him for feeling like he was misused because he basically was but at the same point I think the staff did everything they could to prioritize him as a big part of team. It just wasn't role he wanted or fit into well.

I saw my cousin over the weekend who just graduated from UK. She was a tutor in the CATS department for the athletes, including some basketball players.

She had some not very nice things to say about Briscoe. As well as, he didn't really have a choice on returning as there was (in her opinion) no way he was going to be academically eligible to play.

Some other thoughts from her:

Fox - maybe the nicest kid she has ever met. Very quiet and down to earth, very polite and a hard working student. Would have them re-look at homework, papers, study guides over and over again until he felt it was perfect.

Hawkins - very nice as well...didn't really need much help as he was a very good student. Said he always acted (in a good way) like he was about 30 years old.

Monk - very cocky (but in a somewhat good way). Has an aura of knowing how big a bad a$$ he is. Very polite and respectful.

I saw my cousin over the weekend who just graduated from UK. She was a tutor in the CATS department for the athletes, including some basketball players.

She had some not very nice things to say about Briscoe. As well as, he didn't really have a choice on returning as there was (in her opinion) no way he was going to be academically eligible to play.

Fox - maybe the nicest kid she has ever met. Very quiet and down to earth, but very polite and a very hard working student. Would have them re-look at homework, papers, study guides over and over again until he felt it was perfect.

Hawkins - very nice as well...didn't really need much help as he was a very good student. Said he always acted (in a good way) like he was about 30 years old.

Monk - very cocky (but in a somewhat good way). Has an aura of knowing how big a bad a$$ he is. Very polite and respectful.

What a coinydink. I too have a cousin who used to tutor some UK players. He recently graduated law school in DC. He was a UL fan but went to UK.

Fox - maybe the nicest kid she has ever met. Very quiet and down to earth, very polite and a hard working student. Would have them re-look at homework, papers, study guides over and over again until he felt it was perfect.

Well, that's exactly what I would expect about all 3 of those latter guys, down to the letter... suspect she's right about Briscoe then, but that's a little bit of a bummer.

Ever since Fox insisted on the kid with cerebral palsy come in on Cal's visit in high school, I knew I'd be proud of that guy as a cat forever. Special personality like Towns.

Unfortunately he came in with unrealistic expectations. A lot of it was due to the fact that people rated him too highly. He was never going to shine at UK with Murray, Ulis, Fox and Monk. I still wish him well, I just hope he doesn't put blame on our staff for his inabitliy to become a first round pick.
He dominated in the EYBL and his team won the championship, his rating was right add in that his class, 2015 as far as PGS is like this years, your talking IB, Jalen Brunson, Jalen Adams, Jawun Evans...Evans the only real stud, Brunson a i nice college player, like Briscoe. As soph IBs numbers arent bad, solid all around. Nothin wrong at a ll.

Hey, now by god! Someone needs to tell Matt effin Jones that you cant say anything that that can be construed as a negative about a UK player! Has this man been living under a rock? Matt Jones isn't a true fan,it's that simple.

Last edited:

What a shock. Ryan agreeing with Matt.

Most every top recruit in the nation(heck even some 2&3 star kids) get star treatment at every high school. There are a few exceptions at some top notch private schools, but for the most part they do whatever they want.

I've known top recruits that have gotten anything from help on tests and "special tutors" to getting advanced knowledge of "random" drug tests. Local police will even call the coaches/parents if they know a top player is in trouble and do not want to affect their future.

A lot of those kids(most) take advantage of their special treatment and use it to their advantage. Then there are the ones who feel entitled to whatever they get.

IB probably had free reign on his high school team. He was 5-star recruit that could not be guarded by anyone in his area. He probably chose when he wanted to play and did what he wanted to do in the classroom. He gets to UK and its different. He's no longer "the man" and there are guards WAYYYY more talented than him. He also HAS to make an effort to be a good student. He can't chew out the staff and talk to his teammates and run the show without repercussions or he will sit the bench because he is not longer "needed" per say.

I think he's highly exaggerating for radio purposes.

1. He was loved by everybody. There was no mention of any of this stuff while he played here. He was tough on the court and candid off the court. While he was here causing problems would have been thr time to mention this stuff.
*maybe not as loved last year but that's Cal's fault for using him too much. Dom should have had more of his minutes. Whatever, we didn't have a 3 man, so I kind of understand.

2. He was Cal's favorite player. He bent over backwards for Briscoe, to the detriment of our team, imo. So, whatever junk MJ is referencing was not important to Cal. Cal campaigned for him all the time. WOW HAVE YOU SEEN HIS JUMPSHOT? KIDS IN THE GYM ALL THE TIME

3. MJ did this same crap with Lamb, sort of. Hinting he was not the greatest to deal with. Idgaf. Lamb and Briscoe didn't care for po'dunk lexington, but why should they? They came here to play ball, and they played ball real well, and answered stupid media questions.

Lamb's a lot better than Briscoe, but the had the same sort of attitude, and they were gold with quotes and media things. Real savy, college players. I wish both could have stayed longer. If there were any real issues, Cal would've sat their butts...I assume. Like he says, we got guys on the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT