ADVERTISEMENT

Miserable Week Awaiting

I texted my friend (he’s a Cal apologist) before the UNC Wil game that I was actually excited to watch games again, first time in years

Then we lost and honestly, I was kinda like meh, maybe I really am just apathetic to it now. I just shook it off and had some hot cocoa and went on with my life.

As far as a week without games, I would like having something to watch but this close to Christmas, I’ll be watching Christmas movies every night. I absolutely love Christmas. I’m also a big baseball card collector and enjoy the card community on YouTube so I have plenty to watch
I was livid Sat night, especially after the Cal-ism in the presser.
Sunday, it was whatever.

Losses don't bother me too much after 24 hours. Tourney losses I still reserve the full 72 to 168 hours to be grumpy.

Drinking helps but brings about other issues
the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

I don't think one person on this board truly knows what "MISERY" really is.

Sports don't make the list...

Things to be Miserable about:
1. Death of a loved one
2. Losing a job
3. Losing a Home
4. Serious Health Issues
5. Chronic Pain for self or loved one
6. Witnessing the Mental\Physical decline of a loved one
7. Hunger
8. Addiction
9. PTSD
10. Depression\Anxiety
Good post, but I'm sure several here can relate to most of your list. The cats can be a distraction...both ways.

Reactions: Blueaz
Amazing how a December loss (albeit a bad one) can send people in to such depression. Long season guys. This team will be fine. Wouldn’t trade roster with any other team.
@Sejonesy 's 12 step program of coping:

1. Following a terrible tournament loss, point the fan base back toward the outstanding recruiting class coming in.

2. Hype up the incoming team all summer.

3. Point out how good we'll be after watching the Blue-White game.

4. After we annually lose in the Champion's Classic, point out the positives and remind BBN how young we are.

5. Point out the improvement of the team in the two or three games following the Champion's Classic.

6. Following the dreaded late-November, early-December head scratcher loss at Rupp, point out how long the season is and how much upside we have.

7. Following our annual throttling of Louisville, point out how much better we're getting. "Hold on, BBN...we're getting there soon!"

8. We start SEC play 4-4, but win 4 games in a row to move to 8-4. Sejonesy makes his claim that we might be grinding our way to a top 4 seed (or better).

9. We finish the SEC regular season 11-7, but we had two solid wins in those 11 victories, and Sejonesy uses those to remind BBN that those wins actually highlighted "who we really are" with a full compliment of players.

10. We get waxed in the SEC by a team we beat earlier in the regular season by 8+ points.

11. We lose our NCAA Tournament game to a lesser seed.

12. Sejonesy reminds us all of how bad it was when Gillispie was here and how we're stuck with Calipari because no other quality coaches want to come here.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Every single year this type of schedule of week between games…. and Cal loves it.

It’s a great lead up to Camp Cal (the time of intense coaching that shows what a tactician Cal is)

It will be time to turn this team into a title contender under his incredible tutelage!!!

This time has proven so valuable over the years!!!

🙄

• Haha
Reactions: deep3
Having a full week between games and losing to a mid-major on your home court is going to just give us a full week to marinate in this loss, and it will be nothing but misery here. I'll be checking in but not posting much.

Merry Christmas to all of you! I suggest finding some kind of distraction this week. :D
Cal could have prevented much of the misery by actually preparing his team emotionally.

Alas, this is what Cal does. He underprepares his teams. It's a tradition now for our program. He's like the Santa Clause of delivering turds wrapped up in present packages.

• Haha
Reactions: bnewt
Wanna bet?

Check me off for Number 1 (x3), Number 5, Number 6 (x2), Number 10 for both. And Number 9 wouldn't surprise me, but it's never been official.

And I use sports, especially UK BBall as a distraction and escape.

When it's struggling like I've struggled, it's not very fun to partake in.
I agree with you. I've had six of those just this year alone. I still love my UK basketball, and always will. But there is so much else going on, it's hard to get excited about it. I let myself get excited for this season to start, and I am really trying to not get overly excited or down based on the games. I just needed something positive in my life and I mistakenly put basketball on that list to hang on to. I was really pumped about the first few games and then this last one just deflated me. I was excited to possibly have a big man finally in the game. But Cal immediately went back to his old ways...even though we were doing good. I'll not make that mistake again. I'll still watch, but try to find something else to help me make it through the holidays.

Go Big Blue!!!

I agree with you. I've had six of those just this year alone. I still love my UK basketball, and always will. But there is so much else going on, it's hard to get excited about it. I let myself get excited for this season to start, and I am really trying to not get overly excited or down based on the games. I just needed something positive in my life and I mistakenly put basketball on that list to hang on to. I was really pumped about the first few games and then this last one just deflated me. I was excited to possibly have a big man finally in the game. But Cal immediately went back to his old ways...even though we were doing good. I'll not make that mistake again. I'll still watch, but try to find something else to help me make it through the holidays.

Go Big Blue!!!
I'm sorry you are going through it right now. My losses family wise are a few years out now, but the holidays still absolutely suck as we would all gather in one house for Christmas, 20 people or so and it was wonderous. There's like 5 of us left. And only 1 or 2 can ever make it to Christmas now. It's just not the same. Hugs to you. Time helps, but it doesn't get easier per se, you just get stronger.

Having a full week between games and losing to a mid-major on your home court is going to just give us a full week to marinate in this loss, and it will be nothing but misery here. I'll be checking in but not posting much.

Merry Christmas to all of you! I suggest finding some kind of distraction this week. :D
lol does it really affect your life?

Cal could have prevented much of the misery by actually preparing his team emotionally.

Alas, this is what Cal does. He underprepares his teams. It's a tradition now for our program. He's like the Santa Clause of delivering turds wrapped up in present packages.
See Tomlin vs Cardinals.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
We need a rim protector and all will be well. Let the big guy settle in . Establish team chemistry with him and we will b ok.

Reactions: grevey35
The lack of effort and fight pisses me off more than anything. Yeah, Cal is not Cal anymore, etc. We've discussed that ad nauseum. But to see the lack of heart from even dudes like Shep (up until the second half)? Man that was discouraging. We were supposed to have DAWGS this year. Dudes that didn't like getting punched in the mouth and when they did get hit in the mouth, they start laughing. Frustrated the crap out of me. Thought this group, especially this group after showing fight during the KU game and the Miami beatdown, was above it.

I'm not giving up on them by any means. But they better come out this Saturday and TORCH Penn. And I mean TORCH them.
Can we now fully acknowledge the value of DJ Wagner as a player and a leader? I do recall hearing that from day one he has been the most vocal player on the floor. The lack of talking on defense, calling out screens, and when to help seemed to be a real issue without him. His competitive drive is obvious. That's not to say we shouldn't have found a way to win but his absence was sorely felt.

I’ve stopped getting upset. Not sure if it’s age or just apathy, or a mix of the two. There’s no reason why this program should be losing at home like this. I think it’s a culture issue.
Spot on. The culture Cal has allowed to fester has reached apathetic levels heretofore unseen at UK.

I was once the most passionate KENTUCKY fan who ever breathed the bluegrass air, and while I will always be a Kentucky fan, Cal has simply took the air out of my sails as it were. He doesn't give two shits about winning any type of championship here, his only concerns are his ego and his NBA guys. That's it. It's unforgivable the damage he's inflicting on this program, and for that I hate the man.

I wish like hell dumbass Barney would have told him to not let the door smack him in the ass on his way to UCLA.

I'm sorry you are going through it right now. My losses family wise are a few years out now, but the holidays still absolutely suck as we would all gather in one house for Christmas, 20 people or so and it was wonderous. There's like 5 of us left. And only 1 or 2 can ever make it to Christmas now. It's just not the same. Hugs to you. Time helps, but it doesn't get easier per se, you just get stronger.
Thank you for sharing your story. Hugs back to you.❤

Totally relate. Both parents. Brother lost half his family(literally...wife, two kids, 19 and 4 yr old) in a wreck Christmas eve 2015. Mom unexpected dec 2016. The sheep kinda scattered after that. And yeah, holiday season sucks. Is what it is I guess. We all struggle.

• Sad
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Totally relate. Both parents. Brother lost half his family(literally...wife, two kids, 19 and 4 yr old) in a wreck Christmas eve 2015. Mom unexpected dec 2016. The sheep kinda scattered after that. And yeah, holiday season sucks. Is what it is I guess. We all struggle.
Sorry to hear that. I can't imagine.

I enjoy having the time off and the calm. But yes, I've not put up a tree in 5 years. It's a pain to haul out and it's just me so, I'm just like, "Why?" I go to church still and I find a small meal with what is left of us, it's enough. I also bake myself a batch of cookies. It's not a lot, but it's what I can manage and not feel stressed or down.

Reactions: Jack2936
I don’t think this is that bad. We got a really clear picture of what is broken. Some of it is going to take some player sacrifice to fix. This offense everyone was so hyped about was a fantasy, attributable to better spacing and passing. Shooting is going to come and go. Right now, the massive gap is defense. We scored over 70. If you care for business on the defensive end, that’s enough for a W.

I think the coaching staff needs to return to the dogma, no defense, no play. That includes everyone. We do that, we win the last game and the vast majority going forward.
Not gonna happen.
The 5 stars will play regardless. Only the lesser star guys get yanked

Wanna bet?

Check me off for Number 1 (x3), Number 5, Number 6 (x2), Number 10 for both. And Number 9 wouldn't surprise me, but it's never been official.

And I use sports, especially UK BBall as a distraction and escape.

When it's struggling like I've struggled, it's not very fun to partake in.
Man that is terrible. I have lost both parents and my 2 fishing buddies in the last 5 years. Wife has constant pain that is tough to see her suffer. Honestly lost about all desire to watch the games after my parents passed. Always loved Christmas, but even that isn't the same any more

Sorry to hear that. I can't imagine.

I enjoy having the time off and the calm. But yes, I've not put up a tree in 5 years. It's a pain to haul out and it's just me so, I'm just like, "Why?" I go to church still and I find a small meal with what is left of us, it's enough. I also bake myself a batch of cookies. It's not a lot, but it's what I can manage and not feel stressed or down.
Gotta hang in there, right? I've followed this board for years(new account). You definitely keep it real. Kinda been eating our own after UNCW...frustration. Back to business. Here's to hoping we return to what was working after this "miserable week". Have a good one.

Reactions: bbncal02
Your right, doesn't get easier, and not sure you get stronger, more like you just get used to the continual pain and the missing loved ones

Reactions: bbncal02
I used to get pissed about the losses and let it affect my mood. As I have grown older and priorities change, I don't get as mad over a loss. Still passionate about the program, but doesn't affect me like it used to. I'm sure starting a family has something to do with that.
Exactly

Spot on. The culture Cal has allowed to fester has reached apathetic levels heretofore unseen at UK.

I was once the most passionate KENTUCKY fan who ever breathed the bluegrass air, and while I will always be a Kentucky fan, Cal has simply took the air out of my sails as it were. He doesn't give two shits about winning any type of championship here, his only concerns are his ego and his NBA guys. That's it. It's unforgivable the damage he's inflicting on this program, and for that I hate the man.

I wish like hell dumbass Barney would have told him to not let the door smack him in the ass on his way to UCLA.
Totally agree 👍

Reactions: ukjenning44
This board is a place to discuss the cats, enjoy a win, release frustration. Kinda cathardic after a loss. Some go overboard, but I was definitely pissed after a loss to UNC EFFING WIllmington. For a few hours. Even though it's only a game. Part of being a fan.

...especially after the start this team had. Although I realized the defense wasn't up to par. Still...love the offense

No misery here
I’m headed to Vegas in less than two weeks
So busy getting Christmas done beforehand and preparing for my trip

Merry Christmas to you too
I'm with you, Bev. My three kids and their families are all going to Hawaii the week before Christmas. All 14 of us together. Got so much to be grateful for to get upset about kids missing shots and defensive assignments. Mele Kalikimaka.

• Love
Reactions: Bkocats
I don’t think this is that bad. We got a really clear picture of what is broken. Some of it is going to take some player sacrifice to fix. This offense everyone was so hyped about was a fantasy, attributable to better spacing and passing. Shooting is going to come and go. Right now, the massive gap is defense. We scored over 70. If you care for business on the defensive end, that’s enough for a W.

I think the coaching staff needs to return to the dogma, no defense, no play. That includes everyone. We do that, we win the last game and the vast majority going forward.
Well, Cal admitted after the game he has no idea what is broken. Unfortunately, WE are not the coach, so unless he figures it out, we're screwed. Too bad he doesn't listen to the fans.

1. Following a terrible tournament loss, point the fan base back toward the outstanding recruiting class coming in.

4. After we annually lose in the Champion's Classic, point out the positives and remind BBN how young we are.

5. Point out the improvement of the team in the two or three games following the Champion's Classic.

6. Following the dreaded late-November, early-December head scratcher loss at Rupp, point out how long the season is and how much upside we have.

7. Following our annual throttling of Louisville, point out how much better we're getting. "Hold on, BBN...we're getting there soon!"

8. We start SEC play 4-4, but win 4 games in a row to move to 8-4. Sejonesy makes his claim that we might be grinding our way to a top 4 seed (or better).

9. We finish the SEC regular season 11-7, but we had two solid wins in those 11 victories, and Sejonesy uses those to remind BBN that those wins actually highlighted "who we really are" with a full compliment of players.

10. We get waxed in the SEC by a team we beat earlier in the regular season by 8+ points.

12. Sejonesy reminds us all of how bad it was when Gillispie was here and how we're stuck with Calipari because no other quality coaches want to come here.

Rinse and repeat.

These people are the worst, and are literally helping turn us into IU. They aren't UK fans. They are John Calipari fans.

Rinse and repeat.

Gotta be a relative or $$$ propaganda account LOL

Reactions: Mike-D
These people are the worst, and are literally helping turn us into IU. They aren't UK fans. They are John Calipari fans.
Versus you and others looking like entitled spoiled brats then trying to hide in the fanbase. Very U6ish.

Oh, is that what you call losing at home to MAC schools. I love how the blame gets pointed to the fans that give the program relevance.
Oh. You might not know. Upsets happen. Anybody over 5 knows that and anyone over 10 stops crying over them except for little puke fans. Thanks for making my point about entitlement for ‘special’ fans. Give the program relevance. What an entitled, arrogant and utterly ridiculous statement. KY marks in the record books give the program relevance not a few petty entitled fans that grieve like children over a dropped ice cream cone.

Man up and at least pretend to be worthy.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT