ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Woodson

giphy.gif

I think they are going to need patience with him. He should get at least 5 years, unless there are off-court issues. He is a solid guy, and he is one of their own. So give him a chance to grow into the job. But what do I care really what happens with them?

It all depends if he can get 2-3 ace recruiters on his staff. Can he? Maybe he has some connections to past players from the NBA that can give it a shot, otherwise, what 17 year kids knows who Woodson or Matta are?

Reactions: SosaUK87
Having Matta there is a plus. Needs a couple of young recruiters.

The whole thing is weird.

Hiring a 63 year old who has never coached or recruited in college is a big gamble.

Them then reaching out to Thad Matta and Larry Brown for assistance doesn't exactly scream confidence.

If Woodson can get a couple of young, hungry assistants to handle recruiting, he might do well. So many question marks though.

Seems like a desperation hire by IU, but I guess 20+ years of suckage will do that to you.

Kind of like Syphilis, great at first, then something doesn’t feel right, then it’s the fire of Hell. Finally your feeling better after it’s been treated/fired. So, in 4 years they will start he search all over again with a 2yr buyout.

Jwill seems to think WWW will be able to deliver plenty of talent to Bloomington. If he can he'll win a lot. It's all about recruiting.

Woodson may end up doing okay but the whole thing wreaks of desperation.

Jwill seems to think WWW will be able to deliver plenty of talent to Bloomington. If he can he'll win a lot. It's all about recruiting.
Followed by probation and forfeiting whatever games he does win. 😄

Let's put it this way: They are bailing out the Titanic with a tea cup to try to hold on to the players who finished 10th in the Big Ten this year.

The recruiting class is a slow-footed 6'8'' center from Cincinnati.

Every school has the same fantasy this year of getting bailed out on the transfer market. But there are probably fewer than a dozen real difference makers, and Kentucky already has two of them, while Duke, UNC and 20 other programs are in line to eat before IUse2be.

Maybe a Brad Stevens could have turned it around. Possibly Scott Drew or Nate Oats or Chris Beard, someone with credibility in the college game. But a 63-year-old college rookie, and mediocre NBA coach, with Thad Matta around to second guess every move?

The Hoosiers aren't much better off than when Creepy Crean took over in the wreckage of Kelvin Sanctions. That was a 5-year rebuild. THe most realistic option is another 5-year plan: Aim to compete in 2027, the 40th Anniversary of the last time they won ANY tournament title - conference or NCAA.

Last edited:
Maybe a trip to the Final Four of the NIT if the breaks fall their way. Perhaps in a few years Pat Knight will get a call to take over.

Reactions: SosaUK87
Realistically? Probably at the level Crean had them at once he got them through the probation period. Before anyone laughs at that, IU was in terrible shape because of Kelvin Sampson's transgressions, and Crean had them in the Sweet 16 in his fourth year, which was 2011-2012, where they lost to the Unibrow and UK. I guess anything's possible if he can get them to that level where they're making the tournament, but I wouldn't expect him to get IU back to the level Knight had them at.

I see him as a caretaker type who knows the IU program, and will at least do what he can to get them back to respectability. Having Thad Matta around should help him if Matta's health cooperates. If he can do that and make the program look a little more appealing to a younger, qualified candidate in 5 to 7 years or so, it will have been a successful hire for IU. The floor could be lower since he's 63 and hasn't been around the college game in 40 years. This is just my take on the Woodson hiring for them.

Reactions: gbl97
Why didn't other schools try to hire Woodson the last 30 years? Would IU even have considered him if he hadn't gone there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT