ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan, Kentucky and Florida early leaders

Feb 23, 2011
Re: cam Johnson

Michigan hasnt officially offered, but is expected to, and am told is one of the very early front runners.
It's a driveable distance for family, and likes coaching staff and tourney run.

Florida also may also be waiting on officially offering. Gators expect to lose Devin Robinson and Egbunu. Johnson loves the style and coaches--- has some history w/ one of assistants. Sees role with vacating Robinson. Florida also had a lot of success with last year's most prized transfer, Barry. Strong academics factoring.

UK certainly meets the "contender" criteria, but some concern over redundancy of players with similar size/profiles. Knows cats need shooter, but will he get recruited over? Cats offer best program, but concern of best fit. Like Michigan... proximity helps, and a loose association with Calipari.

I'd expect all three to get a visit.

Last edited:
Yeah idk if I like the sound of that. Sounds like the gators the way he talked about them if they offer which I sure they will.

Yeah idk if I like the sound of that. Sounds like the gators the way he talked about them if they offer which I sure they will.

Not exactly promising words regarding UK in those words in the OP, are they? I'm sure he will receive playing time and opportunities at UK but if he feels he doesn't want to compete for it then he should go elsewhere anyway.

I was going to look at perspective roster/heights.... curious myself.
What is the breakdown?
Vanderbilt 6'9 2/3/4
Washington 6'7 2/3/4
Gabriel 6'9 3/4
Diallo 6'5 2/3

Those are essentially the 4 guys he'd be competing with, and to be quite honest I see 3 of them that we won't ever want to take off floor (Vanderbilt, Washington, Diallo). Of course that doesn't make me want Johnson any less.

Reactions: WildMoon
Not exactly promising words regarding UK in those words in the OP, are they? I'm sure he will receive playing time and opportunities at UK but if he feels he doesn't want to compete for it then he should go elsewhere anyway.

Yeah totally agree and we all know cal you are gonna have to earn those min or you are riding the pine.

Vanderbilt 6'9 2/3/4
Washington 6'7 2/3/4
Gabriel 6'9 3/4
Diallo 6'5 2/3

Those are essentially the 4 guys he'd be competing with, and to be quite honest I see 3 of them that we won't ever want to take off floor (Vanderbilt, Washington, Diallo). Of course that doesn't make me want Johnson any less.

Yeah. Id agree.
He has said he wants to be a role player and not a center piece. Cal will have to sell him on that role. I'm sure he can.

I think guys like Johnson,Baker and Smith are more difficult to recruit to UK than a guy like Murray. I really think other programs will try the negative approach and try to make them second guess that they are good enough to play here and that UK has any interest in them beyond an insurance policy.

I think guys like Johnson,Baker and Smith are more difficult to recruit to UK than a guy like Murray. I really think other programs will try the negative approach and try to make them second guess that they are good enough to play here and that UK has any interest in them beyond an insurance policy.

I don't think a kid like that can be duped into thinking he is not good enough.
Maybe the fair question is -"how much is he needed?". I think his three point shooting is the missing attribute, but is that enough for him to think he will fit? A lot of bodies in the 2/3 and 3/4 spots.

Vanderbilt 6'9 2/3/4
Washington 6'7 2/3/4
Gabriel 6'9 3/4
Diallo 6'5 2/3

Diallo and Johnson would be our starting wings if Johnson chooses UK imo. If Gabriel can beat him out then we're better than I expect.

Him and Cal are from the same small town in Pennsylvania right? Surely Cal has a connection he can work here if he chooses.

Would love to know Cal's sales pitch here. Does he try to sell Smith or Baker on developing or does he say if you dont think you're good enough to compete for a starting spot then don't come here. I think you have to handle out of state kids a little different in the fact that they havent shown that they can be content with a minimal role long term like a lot of the in state kids have.

I just think we are a long shot here. Kid only has two years left to play. He's going to want to go somewhere that he can start and get a lot of minutes.

If he can play he'll play. Right now we're looking at starting 5 freshman, if he doesn't think he can get minutes in that situation he should go somewhere else.

No offense to the OP, but where is this coming from? UK and Michigan are the leaders from what most are saying. Most think he'll come to UK.

No offense to the OP, but where is this coming from? UK and Michigan are the leaders from what most are saying. Most think he'll come to UK.

I agree. I can't find any link that say Florida and Michigan are the early leaders. Unless the OP is saying that this is coming from his "source".

I agree. I can't find any link that say Florida and Michigan are the early leaders. Unless the OP is saying that this is coming from his "source".
TJ on the HOB said Michigan is probably leading at the moment but feels UK has a great chance. Kyle Tucker thinks he ends up at UK.

Reactions: musrat59
With his size, shot, and experience he would be my leading candidate to start at the 3. Haven't hear anything about his defense, but I also haven't heard of Vanderbilt's or PJ's defense.

Diallo and Johnson would be our starting wings if Johnson chooses UK imo. If Gabriel can beat him out then we're better than I expect.
Huh? Vanderbilt is starting for sure . Johnson would never start here . If he does our talent level has taken a big hit . He is a role player but one I would love to have but he ain't starting over a lotto pick in 18' like JV .

I don't really think that's fair in this circumstance.

With his size, shot, and experience he would be my leading candidate to start at the 3. Haven't hear anything about his defense, but I also haven't heard of Vanderbilt's or PJ's defense.
That is all people talk about with Vanderbilt . PJ is supposed to be one of the better defenders as well. Johnson isn't a very good defender from what I saw when I watched Pitt play 6-7 times but again I wasn't focusing on him .

Yet, you find the time to post again and still nothing is revealed.

If I had any additional info to reveal, I would.
I'm sorry.
What I have posted is probably meaningless anyway. This is all very early. His list will be pared down probably to 3 or 4 visits.
From there -- something more concrete will materialize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT