ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Jordan, SG/SF, Wilmington, NC

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
I'm 44 and was too young to follow basketball when Jordan was at UNCheat. Can those who followed him collegiately give us their recollection and opinion about a young Jordan in terms of his play and hype? The time before he became the mega star. Could you tell he was going to be other worldly, or was he just a really good player? With LeBron and Shaq, I knew I was looking at guys that would elevate the sport. Was a young Jordan like that, or did he really just explode after the draft?

After watching those 30 for 30 on the Bulls, the one that about Jordan aside from being a great basketball player was just the competitiveness

Some of the things that were on that was just like wow to me lol.

Man, that 1984 1st Team All American Team, when he was National Player of the Year is crazy:

Patrick Ewing (Junior)
Akeem Olajuwon (Junior)
Michael Jordan (Junior)
Sam Perkins (Senior)
Wayman Tisdale (Sophomore)

My how college basketball has changed.

If he didn't play with other pros at UNC, most notably James Worthy, he would've been even better. Imagine a shot clock and 3 pt shots in his time. I wish I would've kept all those basketball cards and posters of his. I stopped buying the shoes once they got over $100. Outside of Bird, he's my all time favorite player.

Reactions: NociHTTP
When Michael Jordan was worth like 400 million dollars and had won multiple championships he was sobbing in the locker room after winning yet another championship. That’s just another level of drive and competitiveness that’s hard to find. Feel fortunate I was able to watch him in his prime, my favorite athlete of all time.

If he didn't play with other pros at UNC, most notably James Worthy, he would've been even better. Imagine a shot clock and 3 pt shots in his time. I wish I would've kept all those basketball cards and posters of his. I stopped buying the shoes once they got over $100. Outside of Bird, he's my all time favorite player.
Growing up I had every single pair of Jordans through the 12s which came out my sophomore year of college. I know I wore the crap out of them but damn I wish i would have kept them. Even worn, they would have been worth some money especially the Ones.

The only areas of his game where he wasn’t outstanding while at UNC was his long range jump shot and ball handling. But, on top of his amazing athletic ability, he played HARDER than anyone else on the floor. He was so competitive that he worked his tail off to become a better outside shooter and ball handler.

His TOTAL dedication to the game and using ANY slight by opponents OR the media to fuel his competitiveness made him the greatest player I’ve ever seen play.

Well, NBA teams didn't trade the farm to get the #1 pick that year. And, he didn't get picked til #3 I believe....if that gives you the answer to your question.

I'm 44 and was too young to follow basketball when Jordan was at UNCheat. Can those who followed him collegiately give us their recollection and opinion about a young Jordan in terms of his play and hype? The time before he became the mega star. Could you tell he was going to be other worldly, or was he just a really good player? With LeBron and Shaq, I knew I was looking at guys that would elevate the sport. Was a young Jordan like that, or did he really just explode after the draft?

I saw him play a lot in college but don't really remember him that much. I know that many have said that Dean Smith held him back from being a super star. I've heard that for years.

Knight tried to convince the Portland GM that he HAD to draft Jordan if he was available to them. The Portland GM insisted he needed a center (they already had Drexler). Knight said I don't care what you need, draft Jordan. If you need a center then draft Jordan and put him at center.

The rest of the story, as we all know, is that Portland drafted our own Sam Bowie instead.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Knight tried to convince the Portland GM that he HAD to draft Jordan if he was available to them. The Portland GM insisted he needed a center (they already had Drexler). Knight said I don't care what you need, draft Jordan. If you need a center then draft Jordan and put him at center.

The rest of the story, as we all know, is that Portland drafted our own Sam Bowie instead.

Man, that 1984 1st Team All American Team, when he was National Player of the Year is crazy:

Patrick Ewing (Junior)
Akeem Olajuwon (Junior)
Michael Jordan (Junior)
Sam Perkins (Senior)
Wayman Tisdale (Sophomore)

My how college basketball has changed.
Sam Bowie, Chris Mullin, Michael Cage, Keith Lee, Melvin Turpin, Alvin Robertson. 2nd and 3rd team for depth. Future HOFs Charles Barkley and Karl Malone not even making them. Xavier McDaniel averaged 20 and 13. All would be player of the year this year.

"Indeed, no one foresaw the mercurial rise of Jordan."

No one aside from Bobby Knight, apparently.

I'm not sure too many trusted Knight's judgement at times. Do you remember that over the top fascination that Knight had with Damon Bailey when he was in the 8th grade?

"Damon Bailey was an eighth-grader in 1986, when then-IU coach Bob Knight was moved to hyperbole by watching him play. On page 232 of the best-selling book A Season on the Brink, John Feinstein quoted Knight as saying, "Damon Bailey is better than any guard we have right now. I don't mean potentially better, I mean better today.'"

I'm not sure too many trusted Knight's judgement at times. Do you remember that over the top fascination that Knight had with Damon Bailey when he was in the 8th grade?

"Damon Bailey was an eighth-grader in 1986, when then-IU coach Bob Knight was moved to hyperbole by watching him play. On page 232 of the best-selling book A Season on the Brink, John Feinstein quoted Knight as saying, "Damon Bailey is better than any guard we have right now. I don't mean potentially better, I mean better today.'"
Damon Baliey definitely had a ton of hype coming out of high school (and in middle school), not sure if most of that was cultivated by Knight alone or by several others as well.

I'm simply saying your quote in that article says no one say it coming from Jordan when clearly Bobby Knight did. Knight was the head coach of the 1984 Olympic team, so I think you'd be a little silly to act like Knight had no clout at the time. And he obviously had some great first hand knowledge of the player Jordan was due to his experience coaching him.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Well, NBA teams didn't trade the farm to get the #1 pick that year. And, he didn't get picked til #3 I believe....if that gives you the answer to your question.
That’s because NBA GMs were stupid, even back then. They all valued size over who was the better player. Although in fairness you can defend Houston taking Olajuwon.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Olajuwon was the #1 pick and won championships of his own and became one of the greatest players ever at his position, that's why Houston doesn't catch much flack for bypassing Jordan. Hakeem was obviously a great pick.

He was okay in college and as a pro. My boy Rex Chapman made him a bitch. The only time I’ve ever seen Michael run in fear. Think he dropped 39 on his ass.

@Oboro3

Saw him at the Meadowlands when #1 UNC took on #2 Kentucky. Think he was a freshman at the time with a lot of hype. But he wasn’t a good shooter yet. Unfortunately they beat the Cats that day.

He made himself into a great shooter over time.

I never warmed up to him because he played for UNCheats but he’s the GOAT. What made him that was the fact that he played hard all of the time , even on defense. He played like he was trying to make the team and there was only 1 roster spot available.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
All I can tell you is every time UNC was on TV during the MJ era, I'd tune in to see if he was going to do something exciting. Remember, we didn't have access to the players like we do now. So you went off what you saw, and outside of the team you followed, a few teams would peak your interest, but individual player wise, CBB for me in the 80's was about Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan, and Len Bias. All were must watch for me as a kid.

Now nobody could predict MJ would turn into what he did in NBA as far as winning, because you need parts around you to do that, but the way he moved on the court and carried a swagger before swagger became a term was evident. He was just different. Same with Bias. Len Bias was equally as exciting and dominant in CBB. He was a bigger player than MJ but reminded me more of Dominique Wilkins than MJ.

Also you can't leave out Dominique Wilkins who Bias/MJ like too. Dominique is a player who doesn't get his do in part to who he had to play against. He always showed up and played high level in series but didn't have the help. But the fact he was named "The Human Highlight Film" and nobody objected or rolled their eyes is all you need to know.

Olajuwon was the #1 pick and won championships of his own and became one of the greatest players ever at his position, that's why Houston doesn't catch much flack for bypassing Jordan. Hakeem was obviously a great pick.
I always wonder what Houston would have been like if they drafted Jordan instead. Jordan never played with a quality center and I think he and Sampson would have made an interesting duo.

I remember us playing them when they were 1 and we were 2 in 81, I believe? I was more worried about Worthy than Jordan. Maybe even Perkins, though I thought we'd be able to neutralize him somewhat w/ Sam. Jordan seemed more like a very solid 3rd option type. Or that's how I viewed him at that time

As good as MJ was in college----Len Bias was just as good, IF not better. Both were unreal.

After watching those 30 for 30 on the Bulls, the one that about Jordan aside from being a great basketball player was just the competitiveness

Some of the things that were on that was just like wow to me lol.
He either punched or choked Steve Kerr over a practice scrimmage game

MJ was the overwhelming winner of the college basketball player of the year in 1984. Him falling to the 3rd pick in the 84 draft was controversial even back then (the NBA was still fixated on Centers back then). Almost immediately as a new pro Nike inked a deal with him in what was the biggest shoe deal in history at the time. They created a shoe just for him. As a young NBA rookie and even more so by his second year kids all over the country were wearing his "Air Jordan" shoes. By his fourth year in the NBA he already had several scoring titles, won an MVP, was featured in movies, and had a bio video out that sold millions. All of this before 1990 and before his first NBA title.

So yeah, I think he was pegged to be a superstar leaving college.

Reactions: rupp876
Dan Dakich held Jordan to 8 points in the NCAA tourney.

I realize it was just one game. But one game defines the whole season or even career by some posters here.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT