ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Drennen. . .

BlueRattie

Sophomore
Feb 6, 2014
I'm trying to get up to speed on this kid:

1. When does he commit? Is UK clearly in the lead?
  2. Where does he fit in on the offense? Is he a RB only or more of an all-purpose guy that can split out in the slot?
  3. Does his (hopeful) addition make the backfield a little crowded?
  4. If he does commit, where do we stand on total roster numbers?

UK is recruiting him as Bowden type role. Mostly WR but mix in some runs and wildcat formation. USC Trojans want him as a RB. I don't know which role or school he prefers.

I think the general understanding is that he assumes Bowden's role (think frosh Lynn) right away, challenging Thomas for the job from the drop.

Reactions: getcha pull
They're recruiting him as a slot receiver. However with some of the new additions to the offense he could get carries now as well. There are several plays where we motioned Cleavan from the slot into the back field and used him on outside run plays. That would be something they can add to Drennen's game. Although for the most part he will play in the slot.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I do not know if we will sign Drennen. But signing comes first. Team roles come later. If you can sign a player with Drennen's makeup and talent, you sign him. Like every Wildcat, Drennen's role on the team would be worked out after he gets to campus.

There is a narrative that Kentucky has too many Rbacks. But look at the other side of the narrative. How do we know one of them won't transfer or get hurt? What will be the outcome of Davis' recruitment? How do we know signing Drennen does not depend on giving him a shot as a Rback? A year ago, we did not have enough Rbacks. Now we have a chance to secure the rotation for years.

UK is recruiting him as Bowden type role. Mostly WR but mix in some runs and wildcat formation. USC Trojans want him as a RB. I don't know which role or school he prefers.
Did you know USC is currently rated in the 70s, last in the PAC-!0? Don't see Drennen joining that mess.

Wouldn't surprise me at this stage that he doesn't even sign with anyone in Feb & it goes on for another month or more.

Can’t imagine really good wide receivers coming here. We have mediocre quarterbacks who rarely throw the ball. Stoops going to need to amp it up and make the offense more versatile.
That's how recruiting works, if you're weak in one area you recruit to strengthen that area, that's what UK is attempting to do. UK was throwing at least 50% of the time prior to QB injuries.

South Indy, you are a moron my friend. I know exactly what is happening. You apparently haven’t been following this team. Wilson played hurt most of last season and we did not have any quarterbacks after he went down this year. We need a 4-5 star to be our starter and a real capable backup. Hopefully it starts next year.

T Wilson is a 4 or 5 star, and still capable of playing like one. Beau Allen is no joke. Maybe I completely misunderstood you in the first place, BBD. If so, sincere apologies.

I took you to be saying the staff isn't trying and doesn't have the tools in place. Since you seem to think there might be hope for next year, I guess you get it. However, you seemed to be coming from the angle that the staff somehow bears responsibility for Wilson and Smith both getting nicked, or might enjoy running the 1947 Army offense again next season.

Last edited:
Can’t imagine really good wide receivers coming here. We have mediocre quarterbacks who rarely throw the ball. Stoops going to need to amp it up and make the offense more versatile.
UK will probably end up with its best receiver class under Stoops if we sign Drennen. The stars don’t show it, but Branham and Sanders are two guys that could make an impact in the future. I honestly think Branham can play as a true freshman. But I overall agree that UK needs to recruit this position better in the future.

I’m just glad the players don’t have negative attitude like you do. Man we had a thirty year span of football that would make a grown man cry, none of this has been easy for Kentucky and It’s taken us time to try to get on a level playing field with our other SEC brothers and sisters!!

Look what we’ve accomplished in the last 7 years!! We’ve built a team with Defense and hard nose smash mouth football, we have recruited some very good Quarterbacks and even got commitments from a couple really good ones. They changed their minds at the last minute for whatever reason , but we went after them hard. Last year wasn’t bad but it was Wilson’s first year as a starter and we still won 10 games. We would’ve been a much better passing team this year but he got hurt!! Of course you don’t remember that do you??

We’ve got some guys on the team now that will turn into a much more even Offensive team. It’s just taken some time. Why are you soo miserable??? We’ve been competing against everyone we play and we’ve got the most talent now that ever been here. The object of the game is to win and we’ve been winning.

If you’ll look at some of these guys who’ll be on the roster next year and not see how much better this team is and will be, I can’t help you. Check out the Quarterback and receivers for the next few years, I just don’t know how anyone couldn’t be ecstatic about what getting ready to happen here.

I know some people just don’t want to be happy, but Jump on the train my friend, it’s getting ready to get pretty crowded around here!! Hahaha. Go Cats!!

You do know Beau Allen is a 4 star QB that will be one year ahead of Drennan and Joey Gatewood was a four star dual threat QB don't you. He is looking at highly regarded QB's on the roster while he will be here.

I can't see Drennen playing anywhere other than slot based on needs, skill set, and the depth we already have at RB. Not saying they won't get him the ball out of the backfield occasionally on a gadget play or something but I can envision him thriving as a slot guy.

South Indy, you are a moron my friend. I know exactly what is happening. You apparently haven’t been following this team. Wilson played hurt most of last season and we did not have any quarterbacks after he went down this year. We need a 4-5 star to be our starter and a real capable backup. Hopefully it starts next year.
Weren’t you on the basketball board a few days ago guaranteeing a loss to Louisville?

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Think we may be on the cusp of doing that BBD...if TW is healthy , we should have a good stable of qbs, but we are always good to be run heavy because it's what Stoops believes in. As long as we are reaching that 30 pt plateau I'm good!

He will play, just like Bowden, when he does what he needs to do to play. He has the skills to play RB or Slot. Seems to have the muscle to flex IN close to the line the to exploit LB in coverage and can also knock someone on their keester.

It's fun to talk about, but the coaches are 10 steps ahead of us with what they'd do with Drennen. Hope he signs with us, because it will help open up the middle for the TEs as well.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I remember you mentioning that magic number several times prior to the Belk Bowl.

Well played, and prescient!

May that performance bode well for the future!

Well played?

Yeah, every chance he got when we were still winning games while scoring about 20 or so. FAAR Stoops!

I’m just glad the players don’t have negative attitude like you do. Man we had a thirty year span of football that would make a grown man cry, none of this has been easy for Kentucky and It’s taken us time to try to get on a level playing field with our other SEC brothers and sisters!!

Look what we’ve accomplished in the last 7 years!! We’ve built a team with Defense and hard nose smash mouth football, we have recruited some very good Quarterbacks and even got commitments from a couple really good ones. They changed their minds at the last minute for whatever reason , but we went after them hard. Last year wasn’t bad but it was Wilson’s first year as a starter and we still won 10 games. We would’ve been a much better passing team this year but he got hurt!! Of course you don’t remember that do you??

We’ve got some guys on the team now that will turn into a much more even Offensive team. It’s just taken some time. Why are you soo miserable??? We’ve been competing against everyone we play and we’ve got the most talent now that ever been here. The object of the game is to win and we’ve been winning.

If you’ll look at some of these guys who’ll be on the roster next year and not see how much better this team is and will be, I can’t help you. Check out the Quarterback and receivers for the next few years, I just don’t know how anyone couldn’t be ecstatic about what getting ready to happen here.

I know some people just don’t want to be happy, but Jump on the train my friend, it’s getting ready to get pretty crowded around here!! Hahaha. Go Cats!!

Well said, enough said.

Wilson was a pretty good QB out of high school, a four star I believe. Had several good offers and ended up at a school that gives some support for football, Oregon. That happened to get an even better QB in his same class, Herbert, expected to be one of the top QBs in the draft, in a year for great QBs. UK also had some pretty healthy competition for Wilson when he left JC, some top programs.

We now have TWO four stars on our roster next year, Wilson and Beau, and while we will lose Wilson next year we will have a top rated four star transferring in, most think he will be better than a very highly rated Allen, and we still have a couple of other candidates the coaches liked a lot that should be over their injuries and inexperience.

I'm not sure what more anyone should expect from our coaching staff.

Southindy I appreciate your second reply. I know Allen is a 4 star and Gatewood is highly rated. That is great and I hope they show out early. It is the past several years where we have struggled at QB that I am referring to. With the injuries we have sustained over the years we need ample talent waiting in the ranks. And Poetax I am well aware of the injuries and that is what concerns me for the future. Stoops had to scramble to get Johnson and Wilson if I am not mistaken. Just don’t want to see a WR playing QB again.

UK will probably end up with its best receiver class under Stoops if we sign Drennen. The stars don’t show it, but Branham and Sanders are two guys that could make an impact in the future. I honestly think Branham can play as a true freshman. But I overall agree that UK needs to recruit this position better in the future.

I'll stake my life on it that Isaiah Cummings is going to be the next big strong WR that obliterates corners and safety's regularly. A 6'4, 225 lb WR out of HS with his athleticism is freakish. Love Branham's and Sanders burst and strengths, but I.C., has every tool they have and and is bigger.
Drennen, is rated ahead of these WR's but he is going to have like quality in that WR room. He'll have to compete with worthy studs to push him.

Never said I didn’t like Bowden running and his records. We can’t take the next step being one dimensional. Good balance is imperative.

I really hope Drennen is here and is as good as Bowden. If this is the case we have a great chance of winning 10 or more games next season.. I think the kid is pretty fast and has good hand's.. If he is a good route runner we have a winner..
He will probably be as good and would be amazing to have another Bowden clone, lol..

GBB

Reactions: Mr.Morris
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT