ADVERTISEMENT

Miami vs Kentucky

Getting the final 4 team returning most of their core early in the season in a matchup everyone is disappointed in. That screams trap and our boys better come locked in against a team of grown men.
Almost every team UK plays, will be loaded with grown ass men. ESPECIALLY this year. This might be the oldest college basketball has ever been. It is definitely the wrong year to be young.

In the past 10 years we have played Duke 4 times (last in 2021-22 season) and UNC 7 times (last in 2021-22 season).

As many have pointed out, we play Duke next year. UK-Duke and UK-UNC happens on a pretty regular basis.

It's not UK's "slide" it is 1000% about ratings.

Last year 8 of the Top 10 rated NCAA basketball games involved UK (3), Duke (3), or UNC (3).

0 of the Top 10 involved Arkansas, Tennessee or Miami (except Tennesee playing Kentucky and we know Kentucky was the draw there).

So clearly if you are selling advertisements and trying to spread out ratings across as many games as possible, you split the three up and end up with 3 really highly rated games rather than just two.

It's no conspiracy or any shade being thrown at UK, it's just smart business.
Were any of those games played in Cameron indoor, The Dean dome, or Rupp arena?

This is year 1 of the ACC/SEC challenge and we don't get duke in the champions classic, you absolutely pit UK v Duke in this situation. UK in Cameron, or Duke in Rupp would be a bigtime spectacle. Miami does nothing for college basketball except hand UK another home loss.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Were any of those games played in Cameron indoor, The Dean dome, or Rupp arena?

This is year 1 of the ACC/SEC challenge and we don't get duke in the champions classic, you absolutely pit UK v Duke in this situation. UK in Cameron, or Duke in Rupp would be a bigtime spectacle. Miami does nothing for college basketball except hand UK another home loss.
Of course it would be big time. Nobody is arguing it wouldn't

However, that's not how media rights holders think about it. Sports is the last appointment viewing endeavor on TV, everything else gets watched on demand. Thus it makes sports the most valuable real estate for TV advertisers because they know people will be in front of their TVs at broadcast time.

So the networks know that Duke, UNC, and UK will draw viewers with or WITHOUT each other. So, they would rather have 3 big draws than 2. It makes sense if you think of it from a business perspective. Advertisers appreciate it as well.

Just using myself as an example, I will probably now watch all three games instead of two. I will watch UNC and Duke to cheer against them and UK to cheer for them and this will be done a million times over by others.

They should have left South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, U of L, ND and Ga Tech all out. They won 18 games between the 6 of them and Ga Tech won a third of those 18. My god what dismal seasons. 3-18 ND at 4-14 USC. Who is watching THAT this year?
And one if South Carolina's 4 wins came at UK's expense… .in Rupp. That’s Evansville bad right there.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Of course it would be big time. Nobody is arguing it wouldn't

However, that's not how media rights holders think about it. Sports is the last appointment viewing endeavor on TV, everything else gets watched on demand. Thus it makes sports the most valuable real estate for TV advertisers because they know people will be in front of their TVs at broadcast time.

So the networks know that Duke, UNC, and UK will draw viewers with or WITHOUT each other. So, they would rather have 3 big draws than 2. It makes sense if you think of it from a business perspective. Advertisers appreciate it as well.

Just using myself as an example, I will probably now watch all three games instead of two. I will watch UNC and Duke to cheer against them and UK to cheer for them and this will be done a million times over by others.
If the media rights holders looked at it differently, they wouldn’t even have the challenge. They wouldn’t have the Champions classic either.

When have you ever seen this kind of a swing and miss?

If the AL east played the NL west in a challenge in baseball, would you expect to see the Yankees play the Padres and the Dodgers play the TB Rays? Hell no you wouldn't.

Who did UK play almost every year in the SEC/BIG12 challenge? Oklahoma state? No, it was almost always Kansas as it should have been.

This is a massive fail on whoever came up with these matchups.

Who knows, maybe they want to do a home-and-home in consecutive seasons, if that's the case, they would need to do it after next season since UK plays duke in the CC in 2024. If so, I get that, but I still think they should have matched UK and duke up in year 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT