ADVERTISEMENT

Miami vs Kentucky

Honestly, this is a sad indictment of the current state of our program over the last few years. Essentially they paired the top 2 SEC teams with UNC/Duke.

It’s past time we get back to winning the SEC outright and establishing that we are King
My thoughts too. Some people refuse to face the fact that we a sliding down the food chain, not only nationally but in the SEC as well.

We play duke or North Carolina every other year.
Miami went to the Final Four last year.
It's not the only one of these challenges.

Some of you all have broken your brains. Any attempt to whine about Cal has now leaked into every other basketball subject.

I'm stoked. Happy about this new challenge because I want to play different good teams and see still get to keep the ones we already played.

The following season we have to play on the road and Duke is owed a home game.

Hey kids, wanna guess who we play in 2024/25?

Arkansas and Miami both bought their teams last year, and Miami had more success, though they were able to stay healthier than Arkansas. Both of these programs seem to be on the forefront of NIL.

My thoughts too. Some people refuse to face the fact that we a sliding down the food chain, not only nationally but in the SEC as well.
In the past 10 years we have played Duke 4 times (last in 2021-22 season) and UNC 7 times (last in 2021-22 season).

As many have pointed out, we play Duke next year. UK-Duke and UK-UNC happens on a pretty regular basis.

It's not UK's "slide" it is 1000% about ratings.

Last year 8 of the Top 10 rated NCAA basketball games involved UK (3), Duke (3), or UNC (3).

0 of the Top 10 involved Arkansas, Tennessee or Miami (except Tennesee playing Kentucky and we know Kentucky was the draw there).

So clearly if you are selling advertisements and trying to spread out ratings across as many games as possible, you split the three up and end up with 3 really highly rated games rather than just two.

It's no conspiracy or any shade being thrown at UK, it's just smart business.

Reactions: davtay
Whomp whomp. Will this things off to a bad start compared to the Big 12 challenge. I know Miami is supposed to be good but this is year 1. You make it Dook vs UK. I guess it won't be Dook next year either since we play them in the Champions Classic next year. What a missed opportunity. So we might see it in 3 years. Boooo

In the past 10 years we have played Duke 4 times (last in 2021-22 season) and UNC 7 times (last in 2021-22 season).

As many have pointed out, we play Duke next year. UK-Duke and UK-UNC happens on a pretty regular basis.

Last year 8 of the Top 10 rated NCAA basketball games involved UK (3), Duke (3), or UNC (3).

0 of the Top 10 involved Arkansas, Tennessee or Miami (except Tennesee playing Kentucky and we know Kentucky was the draw there).

So clearly if you are selling advertisements and trying to spread out ratings across as many games as possible, you split the three up and end up with 3 really highly rated games rather than just two.

Ok.

Reactions: thedahc
It’ll be a good game, but how tf do they not give us Duke or UNC? The viewerships for either of those games would’ve been off the charts.
Maybe because we have played Duke and UNC on the regular in other settings ? Just a guess. But I know it not to protect Duke. Do you know how much money ESPN would make with Duke @ UK ?
Also, is Miami going to be that good ? Did they not lose the 3 best players ? Wong, Jordan Miller, and the other guard?

Some of you all have broken your brains. Any attempt to whine about Cal has now leaked into every other basketball subject.

I'm stoked. Happy about this new challenge because I want to play different good teams and see still get to keep the ones we already played.
Those games are always on neural floors, which it terrible for college basketball. Having a massive matchup like that during a true home game or true road game would be sooo much more entertaining for both fan bases! HATE neutral site games in the regular season!

We won’t be able to match up with Miami imo
What do you base that great theory off of ? Facts ? Doubt it. Do you even know anyone on Miami's roster ? I will help a bit. Those 2 stud guards Wong and Miller you watched play in the tournament, are gone. So please respond back with reasoning, and please use real reasoning.

What do you base that great theory off of ? Facts ? Doubt it. Do you even know anyone on Miami's roster ? I will help a bit. Those 2 stud guards Wong and Miller you watched play in the tournament, are gone. So please respond back with reasoning, and please use real reasoning.
I don’t like your tone

And I couldn’t name anyone on Miamis roster. All I know is Laranegga (can’t spell it) has a plug and play system. Always strong, tall guards and thick bigs that’ll push our beanpoles out of the way

Reactions: kyjeff1 and deep3

I'm with you. Understand fans wanting to be home/home with Duke/UNC but with them always on the schedule and next year with Champions Classic and CBS Sports Classic, UK will have both on schedule, so likely won't be either again. Louisville is out due to already having them scheduled so Miami and Syracuse are options....as is UVA. I'd rather watch Sahvir Wheeler in an Iron Man contest than Tony Bennett's team play.

Playing a well coached team coming off the Final Four run and they play a fun style to compete against. Good test for UK early and the Canes have talented backcourt and tough guy in Omier up front.

I don’t like your tone

And I couldn’t name anyone on Miamis roster. All I know is Laranegga (can’t spell it) has a plug and play system. Always strong, tall guards and thick bigs that’ll push our beanpoles out of the way

I don’t like your tone

Nigel Pack a 6-0 guard Oimer a 6-7 forward are their 2 best returning players. Both averaged over 13ppg.
I just wanted your reasoning of why we can't match up ? As Ralphdalton stated, they are very well coached. It will be a good game, it's at RUPP. I would say we match up well with them. Guess we will see. I assume Wagner will draw Pack, Edwards will be on Oimer.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Miami also added Matthew Cleveland from Florida State. A 6'7" 200lb guard that averaged 14 points and 7 boards last year. Miami will be a good team this year. If Ky wins, that will be a good resume game no matter where it is played. I think they will certainly be a better team than unc. And obviously it doesn't mean much right now, but they are currently preseason #17. They also won't have any freshmen starting. It would be a legit good win for Ky.
"

Miami also added Matthew Cleveland from Florida State. A 6'7" 200lb guard that averaged 14 points and 7 boards last year. Miami will be a good team this year. If Ky wins, that will be a good resume game no matter where it is played. I think they will certainly be a better team than unc. And obviously it doesn't mean much right now, but they are currently preseason #17. They also won't have any freshmen starting. It would be a legit good win for Ky.
"
Agree 100%. And Cleveland can ball. He killed UL.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Understand the disappointment but Miami should be a good team next season. I think it will be an opportunity to pick up a quality win.

Last edited:
They should have left South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, U of L, ND and Ga Tech all out. They won 18 games between the 6 of them and Ga Tech won a third of those 18. My god what dismal seasons. 3-18 ND at 4-14 USC. Who is watching THAT this year?
Yet UofL still couldn’t make the cut 😂

They should have left South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, U of L, ND and Ga Tech all out. They won 18 games between the 6 of them and Ga Tech won a third of those 18. My god what dismal seasons. 3-18 ND at 4-14 USC. Who is watching THAT this year?
I agree. Ole miss and ND should be improved though

Reactions: Blueheart32
Scheduling this game is just another micro example for why college basketball is dying.

What a complete joke of a scheduling decision. They had a chance to bring Duke to Lexington and they chose this crap.

That's 9 of 10

Most schools we play ARE football focused. You can thank that for our win total.
I know. That's why I don't want to play anymore.

Being in the SEC has been tough enough because throughout history only UK, Arkansas and maybe Vandy even cared about basketball. Now when a school like Auburn hires Bruce Pearl or Florida hires Billy Donovan, the fans buy in and those schools go on pretty good runs but for the most part the SEC hasn't cared about basketball. Now we get to play a basketball conference in the ACC and we get paired with a football school, ugh. College basketball deserves (and needs) to see UK play all the blue bloods every year (Duke, KU, UNC).

Just glad we didn't end up with Va Tech which will never be a game to draw interest.
Larranaga's team will not get rattled.

Miami will be formidable and they hold their own @Duke every year.

I know. That's why I don't want to play anymore.

Being in the SEC has been tough enough because throughout history only UK, Arkansas and maybe Vandy even cared about basketball. Now when a school like Auburn hires Bruce Pearl or Florida hires Billy Donovan, the fans buy in and those schools go on pretty good runs but for the most part the SEC hasn't cared about basketball. Now we get to play a basketball conference in the ACC and we get paired with a football school, ugh. College basketball deserves (and needs) to see UK play all the blue bloods every year (Duke, KU, UNC).
Personally, I would LOVE the SEC to take even more interest in basketball as a whole (and surpass the ACC in support and Sustain it

Reactions: seccats04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT