ADVERTISEMENT

Mentioned before but Jemarl Baker might be the....

MethodUK

Junior
Mar 29, 2009
most overlooked player for next year. I forgot how good of a shooter he is after watching some more videos of the kid. Minus his injury he could end up the best shooter for next year.

1. Has a veteran mind
2. Been around the program so should be able to inject some upper class knowledge on the rest of the team
3. Great shooter which can open things up for everyone
4. Great passer (from his videos)
5. Maybe him being under the radar will allow him to flourish

Here is to hopefully hanging #9 very soon!

most overlooked player for next year. I forgot how good of a shooter he is after watching some more videos of the kid. Minus his injury he could end up the best shooter for next year.

1. Has a veteran mind
2. Been around the program so should be able to inject some upper class knowledge on the rest of the team
3. Great shooter which can open things up for everyone
4. Great passer (from his videos)
5. Maybe him being under the radar will allow him to flourish

Here is to hopefully hanging #9 very soon!
Agree,I think he is the forgotten man in all this.I think he could be what many are expecting Herro to be from day one

Whatever his inevitable flaws and limitations, he at least sounds like the kind of kid who has the absolute right mindset to handle them.

If he's willing to play his role and work on his game in the meantime, he can be a major factor for us down the line.

Doron Lamb was the 42nd pick after two years with the same limitations Baker has. If Jemarl puts the time and effort in, you never know.

Reactions: JC43 and DerekMcPwn
Veteran mind? That’s what they said about diallo. Sophomore is a sophomore not an upperclassman. Baker can shoot the rock something that has never been said about diallo so there’s that.

I'll just say this, we've added all these guards for next year he'll have to compete with and through all of that he's never wavered on his decision to stay with the program when other players would have transferred. He's earned my respect.

Yeah you might be right I think one of Herro or Baker will be odd man out

I agree with that. I think many give Herro the advantage mainly because he has more to his game than just 3-pt shooting. Some may also may add that he is/was more highly rated (although to me that doesn't matter much).

Reactions: JC CATS
I think it's great that we will have two guards on next year's team known for shooting. This should take the pressure off of the inside and help open up the lane. Green is not a bad outside shooter either and hopefully he will play better with a year under his belt. Defense may determine which of these guards gets the most playing time.

Curious what you mean about 'veteran mind'. He's watched the guys for a year, but....

Veteran in regards to a typical UK player imo. Lol

He may not of played but he is already experienced with the coaching staff, style of play, how they practice, and what needs to be done. He may not have any of this but he is not a deer in headlights.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
You never know.
He has some small advantages of having already made the off the court transition from high school to college and knowing Cal and how things go.

He is also a 6'4 guy with a top notch stroke that was able to handle some point responsibilities so skill wise it's hard to argue he won't have the chance to make some hay.

Dude is an absolute pure shot, off the dribble or off the catch. It's been said that he can drive the ball pretty well, too. The question is whether or not he can play defense.

I've been 100% expecting him to be an impact rotation player next season. 6 guards 3 positions. He'll get his minutes that's forsure. He maybe the player I'm most excited about seeing just probably because of how long we've waited to see him lol.

Reactions: Cindog28
JMO, I expect limited playing time for Baker. Simple question: Who sits from the group of Quickley, Green, Hagans, Herro and Johnson?

He will play especially in SEC play with how SEC refs call fouls . Also I expect much of the time to run 3 guard offense where it is something like Quick/Green/Hagans/KJ/EJ but it could be just as easily Green/Herro/Baker/PJ/Richards . My point is he will play . All the guards will.

Pretty detailed video of the last time he has played competitively. Wide arrange or ways to put the ball in the hoop.

JMO, I expect limited playing time for Baker. Simple question: Who sits from the group of Quickley, Green, Hagans, Herro and Johnson?

I think Green and Johnson start. Johnson could start at SF though.

Some of the freshmen will naturally have some growing pains.

How he does well but not going to get hopes up until he does something in few games.

Crap. Now if he gets double digits will i now feel obligated to eat crow in one of those terrible threads?

I wish he would be more consistent with his shooting though. Seemed like he was either hot or cold.

It's a shot that if you make 40% you are doing really well. No one is consistently hot from out there. But I think your opinion of his lack of consistency is based on how you think he played as a whole.
Below is a summary of Green's games:
0-1, 5 times
1-1, 1 time
0-2, 4 times
1-2, 3 times
2-2, 2 times (+1.25 from expected)
0-3, 1 time (-1.1 from expected

1-3, 0 times
2-3, 2 times
3-3, 1 time (+1.9 from expected)
0-4, 2 times (-1.54 from expected)

1-4, 2 times
2-4, 3 times
3-4, 1 time (+1.46 from expected)
4-4, 0 times
0-5 & 1-5, 0 times
1-5, 0 times
2-5, 2 times
3-5, 1 time (+1.1 from expected
4-5 & 5-5, 0 times
0-6, 0 times
1-6, 1 time (-1.3 from expected)
2-6, 1 time
3-6 & 4-6 & 5-6 & 6-6, 0 times
0-7 & 1-7, 0 times
2-7, 1 time
3-7, 1 time

I would say if you were within 1.5 made 3's (+ or -) of the expected # based on your attempts for the game, then that is NOT an outlier (inconsistent game). So by making 37.6%, he should expect 0.4 if attempted 1, 0.75 if attempted 2, 1.1 if attempted 3, 1.54 if attempted 4, 1.9 if attempted 5, 2.3 if attempted 6, or 2.6 if attempted 7.
So in 9 of his 34 games (in red) , Green made at least 1.0 more (5 times) or 1.0 less (4 times) 3's than would be expected given his season %.
And in only 3 of his 34 games (bolded), did Green make at least 1.5 more (once) or 1.5 less (twice) 3's than would be expected.

Reactions: Bigjoecatfan56
Some players flourish when they aren't expected to be "The Man", so a crowded backcourt may be beneficial in some aspects aside from the obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT