ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

This is Penny's one shot...if they are piss poor next year he will never get elite players again.
Sean Miller still gets recruits and that guy can't coach his arm out of a wet paper bag.

Heck, he's under investigation, the evidence has been out there for months, yet he's still getting blue chip recruits.

I don't know what Penny is telling these kids, but they're buying in.

I'm thinking he goes 23-7 or so with the schedule Memphis will play and bow out somewhere around the sweet 16. It's not great, but not awful. Good enough to continue landing bigtime recruits.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Sean Miller still gets recruits and that guy can't coach his arm out of a wet paper bag.

Heck, he's under investigation, the evidence has been out there for months, yet he's still getting blue chip recruits.

I'm thinking he goes 23-7 or so with the schedule Memphis will play and bow out somewhere around the sweet 16. It's not great, but not awful. Good enough to continue landing bigtime recruits.

We know how Miller gets his players, he cheats.

You do know that it is factual that John Wooden bought players back in the day as well. Cal’s hands are not clean from any of his coaching stops.

Funny how every year some school hires a coach and the fans think they are hot$hit and come over here and run their mouths. Same story different troll, after you get your a$$ beat several times you'll disappear.

What a bunch of cowards. Penny’s got you Nancy’s wetting your pants. Love how dummies like this guy just states flat out lies. Precious has offers from Kansas, North Carolina, Memphis, and UCONN.
Again the two big offers both are known cheaters Memphis isn’t a big offer hate to tell ya! UCONN lol they not been good since 2014!

Reactions: Ky grandpa

JMO, Miller isn't a bad coach at all, he is just a cheater.

I have no clue how/why people are still going there...it is insane.

He should be fired, but no way I would call him a bad coach- just some big Elite 8 losses.

What a bunch of cowards. Penny’s got you Nancy’s wetting your pants. Love how dummies like this guy just states flat out lies. Precious has offers from Kansas, North Carolina, Memphis, and UCONN.

The thing is, you guys are enjoying yourselves right now because you rarely get the opportunity to make national waves. I get it, but lots of programs come and go, come and go. And when those programs come, we discuss them, no one is upset or concerned with Memphis. You’re a mid major program who’s doing good on the recruiting trail for the second time in 40 years. Control your ego, Kentucky has 8 national titles, the most wins all time, and nearly more FINAL FOURS than Memphis has TOURNAMENT APPEARANCES. Let that sink in for a moment.

So not to be a bitch, but your program isn’t even the best in your own state. A lot of times, it’s not the second best program in your own state.

Kentucky is another animal.

Now like I said I understand Memphis is having fun right now and you should. It’s been a long time since people mentioned your name. I get it. But you should know that while you’re just now being allowed to enter through the revolving door, others who entered are now on their way out. And you will too, because Memphis cannot sustain success and that’s measurable by historical fact.

Memphis was left out of the conference alignments. That’s ballgame. Throw every gimmick you can, because that will depend on whether it lasts for 1 year or 2.

Last edited:
Add Lexington and Louisville to the list for two faced bigots, lol.
Memphis is # 4 in America as the most dangerous cities in America! 1750 for every 100,000 people! So don’t be slinging crap at Lexington or Louisville when you live in the 4th most dangerous city in America out of thousands of towns and cities! Now run along back to Memphis St!

I looked on the front page and didn't see a similar thread. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around Memphis landing all these stars. I mean, their potential haul is incredible.

Does this make sense to anyone on here? I mean, I know Penny was a star in the NBA, but it was short lived and before most of these kids were even born. I find it hard to believe that there isn't something dirty going on there.
It$ not $urpri$ing to me at all. What make$ you rai$e concern?

The thing is, you guys are enjoying yourselves right now because you rarely get the opportunity to make national waves. I get it, but lots of programs come and go, come and go. And when those programs come, we discuss them, no one is upset or concerned with Memphis. You’re a mid major program who’s doing good on the recruiting trail for the second time in 40 years. Control your ego, Kentucky has 8 national titles, the most wins all time, and nearly more FINAL FOURS than Memphis has TOURNAMENT APPEARANCES. Let that sink in for a moment.

So not to be a bitch, but your program isn’t even the best in your own state. A lot of times, it’s not the second best program in your own state.

Kentucky is another animal.

Now like I said I understand Memphis is having fun right now and you should. It’s been a long time since people mentioned your name. I get it. But you should know that while you’re just now being allowed to enter through the revolving door, others who entered are now on their way out. And you will too, because Memphis cannot sustain success and that’s measurable by historical fact.

Memphis was left out of the conference alignments. That’s ballgame. Throw every gimmick you can, because that will depend on whether it lasts for 1 year or 2.

Well said Morgo...

We know how Miller gets his players, he cheats.
Yeah, but is he nuts enough to do it now while the microscope is in him? I mean, he's still landing bigtime recruits and he's on the lists of a lot if others. It's odd. Why would anyone want to play for that guy?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
These kids still know about Penny though . His shoes are still very popular . He also is still fairly young and knows how to relate to the kids more than older coaches .

Do they? The last time he was an All-Star, none of these current recruits were even alive. The man averaged 15ppg over his career. Solid, but nothing earth shattering.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
JMO, Miller isn't a bad coach at all, he is just a cheater.

I have no clue how/why people are still going there...it is insane.

He should be fired, but no way I would call him a bad coach- just some big Elite 8 losses.
I think he's a below average coach. He certainly isn't good enough to be getting the players he has been getting.
His results aren't all that impressive to me:

2019 - missed the tournament with a 17-15 record while playing in an awful conference.

2018 - lost to Buffalo in the first round as a 4 seed

2017 - had a good regular season, lost in the sweet 16 to X

2016 - 8 losses. Lost in the first round to Wichita State

2015 - great season, 34-4 and made it to the E8

2014 - great season. 33-5 and lost in tge E8

2013 - lost in the sweet 16, went 27-8

2012 - NIT after a 23-12 record

2011 - Elite 8 appearance

2010 - NIT after a 16-15 record

So he's got a few E8 appearances, but a lot of early exits and NIT's. But his style of play is very bland, defensively they are very meh and they don't do anything that wow's you on offense.

I'm impressed with his recruiting ability, cheating or not, because I don't get the attraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: TFCats11
Do they? The last time he was an All-Star, none of these current recruits were even alive. The man averaged 15ppg over his career. Solid, but nothing earth shattering.
In his prime Penny was a beast that can’t be debated and was one of the most exciting guys around . Some of you act like it’s impossible for youngsters to see highlights of some of the older guys .

And as I stated his shoes are still very popular .

Reactions: Jhmfan
You do know that it is factual that John Wooden bought players back in the day as well. Cal’s hands are not clean from any of his coaching stops.

You sound like an idiot obsessed with our approval and validation.

Throwing out accusations of “muh racism!” blah blah blah. You’re transparent AF lol

Penny is a legend here in Memphis. Obviously the verdict is still out whether he can coach when there is high expectations. He does have Sam Mitchell on the bench who was a head coach in the NBA. It should come as no surprise that he will be able to get recruits and will continue as long as they do well in the tournament and has players move onto the NBA. Time will tell.
When you really look at the situation in Memphis from 30,000 ft., you find that a solid coach got fired, to be replaced by a former player with no college coaching experience. All culminating in a move to keep one local player from going to Kentucky. I mean wow lol!

In his prime Penny was a beast that can’t be debated and was one of the most exciting guys around . Some of you act like it’s impossible for youngsters to see highlights of some of the older guys .

And as I stated his shoes are still very popular .

Impossible? Uh, no. You’re inflating his career. The only thing any of us remember about Penny, were his shoes and commercials. Speaking of which, I’d say his last commercial was in the 90’s. But keep harping on why kids are lining up to play for the dude. Comical.

Getting the players is one thing, coaching them and getting them to play as a team is another. We shall see.
Cal has proven over and over he can do all of the above.
Penny is like the new good looking girl at school. Gets a lot of attention until everyone finds out she's not all they thought she was.

All the media who are losing their minds that Penny will win a title next season haven't been paying attention. Cal and K, 2 of the best of this generation and possibly all time, have only won 1 each with one and dones so I don't think Penny can get it done as inexperienced as he is.

I only see Wiseman, Jeffries, and Daldridge signed, with a few others in the running. Regardless of what class he ends up getting, take away Wiseman, and it’s blah. BTW, there most likely won’t be another “Wiseman” fall into his lap, any time in the near future.

Impossible? Uh, no. You’re inflating his career. The only thing any of us remember about Penny, were his shoes and commercials. Speaking of which, I’d say his last commercial was in the 90’s. But keep harping on why kids are lining up to play for the dude. Comical.
Please quote where I said kids are lining up to play for him ? I stated why kids may know him . Penny was a very good player in his prime that isn’t very debatable .

Grant Hill career average is 16 let me guess he wasn’t all that good either huh

Please quote where I said kids are lining up to play for him ? I stated why kids may know him . Penny was a very good player in his prime that isn’t very debatable .

Grant Hill career average is 16 let me guess he wasn’t all that good either huh

Penny was a stud when he was healthy, but it didn’t last long.

None of his players had ever seen him play. By their own admission they had to YouTube him to see him play for the first time.

Penny isn’t known for his playing days. He’s known by them from their time on the AAU circuit and shoes (which isn’t as big of a deal as Memphis wants it to be and they’ll see in time).

But his playing days weren’t that great due to injury and these kids do not know him from that.

Penny was a stud when he was healthy, but it didn’t last long.

None of his players had ever seen him play. By their own admission they had to YouTube him to see him play for the first time.

Penny isn’t known for his playing days. He’s known by them from their time on the AAU circuit and shoes (which isn’t as big of a deal as Memphis wants it to be and they’ll see in time).

But his playing days weren’t that great due to injury and these kids do not know him from that.
Yeah I know that they didn’t actually grow up watching him live . I’m just saying it’s not exactly hard to YouTube him and as I stated early his shoe is still popular so kids know about him somewhat .

Anyway he’s only landed his local guys so we will see how he does when it comes to landing RJ Hampton , Precious , Jalen Green etc

Last edited:
Reactions: morgousky
We have a multiple page thread on Memphis and multiple threads on Duke. I'd say many here care about schools/coaches/players that aren't associated with UK but can potentially affect us.

Clearly you are correct, I just don't get the obsession.

We have a multiple page thread on Memphis and multiple threads on Duke. I'd say many here care about schools/coaches/players that aren't associated with UK but can potentially affect us.

There’s threads on Arizona, Duke, Tennessee, Memphis, LSU, Louisville, ect.

It’s college basketball. We discuss.

This is the only board in planet earth where a top blue bloods discussing other programs means jealousy. Lol.

Maybe it’s because it’s college basketball?

And on your comment about UConn, they were left out of the conference shifts. Their accomplishments were from when they were in the traditional Big East. It’s over. They can’t even make the tournament and can’t recruit in that conference. Not the same program at all.

Sure, the players may know him from the AAU circuit. However, their parents and or guardians know him well from his playing days and that alone will get him in 90% of these recruits homes. If he wins and sends multiple players to the league he'll be a threat for yrs to come.

Lol. Sending Wiseman to the league doesn’t mean anything. He was top 5 on mocks before he got on campus. Let’s see if that sticks first.

And I believe Some of the parents didn’t know him from his playing days either.

Penny has a 3 year run in the NBA and was mainly known at that time for playing with Shaq. He wasn’t there playing well long enough to really be remembered by any at all.

Clearly you are correct, I just don't get the obsession.

There is no obsession. Every fan base that comes to this board says this same crap. We are a board comprised of many people, we discuss many teams because it’s a college basketball board.

Kentucky is the most decorated program of all time. There’s literally no one ahead of us to be jealous about.

As far as Memphis goes, UK nearly has as many FINAL FOURS as Memphis has TOURNAMENT APPEARANCES. LMAO.

Simply discussing recruiting battles and other programs definitely isn’t about obsession.

Anyone in this thread that is new is a Memphis fan from tigers.org, an old platform that has small traffic and is obsessed with Cal and UK and has been for a long time. I just want to add...

Kentucky nearly has as many final fours as Memphis has tournament appearances.

Who’s obsessed little mid major?:joy:

I think he's a below average coach. He certainly isn't good enough to be getting the players he has been getting.
His results aren't all that impressive to me:

2019 - missed the tournament with a 17-15 record while playing in an awful conference.

2018 - lost to Buffalo in the first round as a 4 seed

2017 - had a good regular season, lost in the sweet 16 to X

2016 - 8 losses. Lost in the first round to Wichita State

2015 - great season, 34-4 and made it to the E8

2014 - great season. 33-5 and lost in tge E8

2013 - lost in the sweet 16, went 27-8

2012 - NIT after a 23-12 record

2011 - Elite 8 appearance

2010 - NIT after a 16-15 record

So he's got a few E8 appearances, but a lot of early exits and NIT's. But his style of play is very bland, defensively they are very meh and they don't do anything that wow's you on offense.

I'm impressed with his recruiting ability, cheating or not, because I don't get the attraction.

He also took Xavier to Elite 8...

That’s just a stupid comment. Of course we will discuss little penny and Memphis as we are interested in the same recruits and we stole your coach (then you had our leftovers with tubby lol)
That’s not obsession my friend, it’s discussion.

That being said, you guys may very well be decent next year but I’d hold off on being to cocky considering Kentucky has damn near the amount of Final Fours as Memphis State has tournament appearances lol.

Say that out loud.

Seems to be more Penny talk over here than Cal talk over there. Who's obsessed with who? :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT