ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

Kentucky is a blue blood.
Kentucky has a great basketball history by any measure.
Kentucky has the SEC and a blank check to support the program.
Kentucky has very devoted fans.

Memphis is not a blue blood but we do have a history of success.
Memphis will be successful again, and I think it will come sooner than later under Penny. We will see. No point arguing about it until after next season.

Cal was damaged goods when we haired him. He came to Memphis to redeem himself. He had 2 challenging years and the he got the Laurenburg players, Rose, Evans, CDR. He also had World Wide Wes. We were a couple of missed free throws and and a missed step out of bounds from a NC in his last year. You guys bought him. He took his players he recruited for Memphis. It's the way the business goes.

Cal never had a rep as a great X & Os guy. But now he gets blueblood players to go with a blue blood program and he is in it every year. His teams have always gotten better from first game to last as a rule and that to me says he is a pretty good coach because collectively he gets the job done.

Penny according to most experts, (read not fans), did a good job with what he had which was not a whole lot. He only had three weeks to put a team together. He had to learn a few things but he is passionate and knowledgeable and famous and the kids think he is cool. He has a an NBA coach of the year, a recent NBA star and a 20 year veteran on the bench that each fills an essential role. They have the resources to do whatever needs to be done.

The first thing Penny did was make sure he was building a double layer of accountability to ensure cheating wasn't going to occur. You don't have to believe that but it's true. They make sure the kids go to class, act properly (second chances but ultimately gone if you can't follow the rules) and they don't promise anything but the opportunity.

As for Crime, here is a heat map for zip code based crime. https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-zip-codes-in-america/. Kentucky doesn't exactly look like a safe haven. In fact few places in the south and southwest look very safe. And Rural areas don't fare well either. In Memphis we have areas with a ton of poverty. Take out three zip codes in which the poor prey on the poor and you see a major difference in crime rates. Memphis has made three "cities you must visit" lists including two top choices. Lots changing here and lots going on especially drawing people back to the core downtown area.

Anonymous message boards seem to empower people to be rude, loose with facts and often abusive. I don't even like our own sometimes.

The next couple of weeks will define our roster for next year. It will end up somewhere between 1-7 when the ink dries. Good luck to you guys next year.

Why do you think we care though?

Kentucky would never play Memphis. We already have scheduling conflicts and there’s no way to work in another mid major. Our fans are already going tired of the lightweight names on the schedule. We have to shift between blue bloods.

Well if you’re Kentucky you shouldn’t have issues making Memphis a priority, would be the best “mid major” game on your schedule.

I will add that the size and passion of BBN is impressive, so that does make your board more fun to visit than many other teams. I don't want this to turn into a ridiculous message board pissing match, so good luck to UK. Sounds like you guys may have a strong finish for your 2019 class!

True statement, but “our board is fun to visit?” Lol. Is that because the Memphis board is constantly dead? You know damn good and well why you and your other friends started posting here. It’s silly. It would be like UK football fans going to try and debate/ talk trash / be subtly passive aggressive on the Alabama football board.

Do I believe you spend a bunch of time here because it’s “more fun?” No... not really. Do i believe you spent a bunch of time here because you seek UK fans validation? Maybe...

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Well if you’re Kentucky you shouldn’t have issues making Memphis a priority, would be the best “mid major” game on your schedule.

Why would we make Memphis a priority? Everyone wants to play us and some deserve it waaaaay more than Memphis. He’ll Indiana deserves it more than Memphis and we ain’t giving it to them.

Of course you want a game with UK. Why don’t we make it a home and home so you can really feel special. Lol.

You guys need to head to the Tulane board with this nonsense. Hardaway has filled your heads up so thick I can’t wait to watch it fall. It’s entertainment for us. Just something to laugh at in the moment and move on.

True statement, but “our board is fun to visit?” Lol. Is that because the Memphis board is constantly dead? You know damn good and well why you and your other friends started posting here. It’s silly. It would be like UK football fans going to try and debate/ talk trash / be subtly passive aggressive on the Alabama football board.

Do I believe you spend a bunch of time here because it’s “more fun?” No... not really. Do i believe you spent a bunch of time here because you seek UK fans validation? Maybe...

The only difference is UK is actually rolling in football and has a share of a title, plus is a major conference team. Talking shit to Alabama makes a little bit of sense at least.

Memphis was left out of conference realignment. Every major conference looked and said no thanks. They just don’t have anything to offer.

So a better analogy would be CUSA Louisville in 2003 talking sht to Alabama.

I mean Memphis doesn’t even keep on pace with Louisville. Lol.

Why would we make Memphis a priority? Everyone wants to play is and some deserve it waaaaay more than Memphis. He’ll Indiana deserves it more than Memphis and we ain’t giving it to them.

Of course you want a game with UK. Why don’t we make it a home and home so you can really feel special. Lol.

You guys need to head to the Tulane board with this nonsense. Hardaway has filled your heads up so thick I can’t wait to watch it fall. It’s entertainment for us. Just something to laugh at in the moment and move on.
Why would we make Memphis a priority? Everyone wants to play is and some deserve it waaaaay more than Memphis. He’ll Indiana deserves it more than Memphis and we ain’t giving it to them.

Basketball after all is a business, former head Memphis basketball coach vs former NBA superstar going head to head with 2 top 5/10 recruiting classes. Seems logical.

Basketball after all is a business, former head Memphis basketball coach vs former NBA superstar going head to head with 2 top 5/10 recruiting classes. Seems logical.

Oh look, Texas Tech just called. They have been in back to back elite 8 and final four. Something Memphis hasn’t done in, well, as far as the books go, what? 40+ years?

I think we’ll give them a home and home.

And look, Hampton is interested in TT.

Wow, recruiting is weird. And even lowly Memphis has a good class this year!!

Headed by Memphis area kids. What else is new?

Look around you. LSU had a top class a few years back. It happens. It’s nothing.

Make a tournament. Memphis provides nothing on the national scene.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Oh look, Texas Tech just called. They have been in back to back elite 8 and final four. Something Memphis hasn’t done in, well, as far as the books go, what? 40+ years?

I think we’ll give them a home and home.

And look, Hampton is interested in TT.

Wow, recruiting is weird. And even lowly Memphis has a good class this year!!

Headed by Memphis area kids. What else is new?

Look around you. LSU had a top class a few years back. It happens. It’s nothing.

Make a tournament. Memphis provides nothing on the national scene.

I don’t see the issue with obtaining talent from your home city, it’s actually smart and energizes the school/team even more. We do have a lot to prove, I’m not here saying we don’t, additionally I’m sure Hampton is weighing the fact TT has been going deep in the tourney every year but when it comes to playing with his guy and other top players around the country, it’s a no brainer.

I don’t see the issue with obtaining talent from your home city, it’s actually smart and energizes the school/team even more. We do have a lot to prove, I’m not here saying we don’t, additionally I’m sure Hampton is weighing the fact TT has been going deep in the tourney every year but when it comes to playing with his guy and other top players around the country, it’s a no brainer.

The whole post went over your head because you guys are buying up anything possible to feel special. Like I said I get it, if I were a Memphis fans I’d be ecstatic over a decent class and a decent chance to make a tournament.

But coming here and talking about scheduling teams like UK is way out of your league.

I’d rather play at TT than Memphis. Proven winner coach, proven success, less risk of being shot during college, major conference and plenty of TV time.

Memphis is a mid major that plays in gyms in front of, literally, 2,000 people at times.

Slow your roll.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
The whole post went over your head because you guys are buying up anything possible to feel special. Like I said I get it, if I were a Memphis fans I’d be ecstatic over a decent class and a decent chance to make a tournament.

But coming here and talking about scheduling teams like UK is way out of your league.

I’d rather play at TT than Memphis. Proven winner coach, proven success, less risk of being shot during college, major conference and plenty of TV time.

Memphis is a mid major that plays in gyms in front of, literally, 2,000 people at times.

Slow your roll.

Comparing Beard to Hardaway is a little extreme. Penny has been a head coach for 1 year with a washed up roster. Beard has had multiple seasons and recruiting classes to sustain success. Plus, you want to play the best teams you can, preps for tournament time and boosts resumes. And don’t worry about the TV time.. it’s coming.

Comparing Beard to Hardaway is a little extreme. Penny has been a head coach for 1 year with a washed up roster. Beard has had multiple seasons and recruiting classes to sustain success. Plus, you want to play the best teams you can, preps for tournament time and boosts resumes. And don’t worry about the TV time.. it’s coming.

No it’s not coming. Well you’ll get more than your usual goose egg. But not much more.

I’ve already said I know you guys would love a game with UK. So does everyone else. We don’t just schedule mid majors because they pulled a decent class.

You guys are really, really petty man.

No it’s not coming. Well you’ll get more than your usual goose egg. But not much more.

I’ve already said I know you guys would love a game with UK. So does everyone else. We don’t just schedule mid majors because they pulled a decent class.

You guys are really, really petty man.

Pretty sure all of our games were on ESPN or CBS, and yes I said I want to play Kentucky a couple of times now.

I’m literally saying I want to play UK, I’m admitting that. Would we win, who knows. But

Pretty sure all of our games were on ESPN, and yes I want to play UK I’ve said that a couple of times now.

Dude I rarely saw Memphis last year at all. Maybe you were on TV while everyone was working.

You’re not getting a game with UK. End it. It’s not about who would win in a one game situation. It doesn’t matter.

Cal wouldn’t dream of elevating you. And Penny has already created so many enemies, including chapel hill, that your run probably won’t last very long.

Like I said, Memphis does not understand the national basketball scene. Coaches don’t fear an AAU / Middle school coach like Penny Hardaway. But you can annoy them to the point where they want to see you burn.

And according to Duke insiders, K I’d already laying groundwork.

Penny is just trying to be as loud and obnoxious as he can to create buzz. That’s all it is. Don’t worry, you’ll be playing Tulane soon and giving out free tickets hoping people show up.

Dude I rarely saw Memphis last year at all. Maybe you were on TV while everyone was working.

You’re not getting a game with UK. End it. It’s not about who would win in a one game situation. It doesn’t matter.

Cal wouldn’t dream of elevating you. And Penny has already created so many enemies, including chapel hill, that your run probably won’t last very long.

Like I said, Memphis does not understand the national basketball scene. Coaches don’t fear an AAU / Middle school coach like Penny Hardaway. But you can annoy them to the point where they want to see you burn.

And according to Duke insiders, K I’d already laying groundwork.

Penny is just trying to be as loud and obnoxious as he can to create buzz. That’s all it is. Don’t worry, you’ll be playing Tulane soon and giving out free tickets hoping people show up.

Seems like we are elevating ourselves currently, playing UK would be a great addition to our schedule, nothing more. Loud and obnoxious to create buzz.. seems familiar.

We play on one of CBS’s sports networks, not sure what channel that is for you guys in Kentucky
dude, you played TEN games on ESPN3! They show little sisters of the poor on that streaming app. Kentucky played every single game on national television. Memphis had ELEVEN games on ESPNU. Kentucky had ZERO. Memphis played a total of SIX games on CBS/TBS/FOX/ESPN/ESPN2. Kentucky likewise had TWENTY-SIX. One of Memphis' biggest games vs. Houston was on ESPNews lol.
https://gotigersgo.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
https://ukathletics.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=58

Not to bump this stupid thread again, but I just cannot resist.

Remember when I said this is the most ridiculously stupid fan base in the entire country? Take a look at this sht.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-875953.html

Most ridiculous people you’ll ever meet. Memphis fans do not travel, not not see real basketball towns, and have no idea what they’re really up against.

Kentucky recruits nationally because we’re a national power. Kids grow up UK fans from all over the country. UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas ect recruit nationally because we’re the best.

Another myth is that Memphis somehow takes care of their own. I know Memphis basketball players, I know a player from their last final four team on the books that flat told me Memphis does not recognize their former players at all, and he made a mistake in not taking the offer from Rupp when he had the chance. They invited him back one time, and gave the team a HAT. It’s hilarious. This is their ONLY final four team on the books and they give them a f’n hat[laughing]

Kentucky gives kids opportunities for life all across the state, and we recognize our past players constantly. The nation recognizes our past players. Our past players go on into big roles, and lots of them end up back in Lexington to live because unlike Memphis Lexington is a destination town.

Memphis is a gutter. The only reason local kids stay sometimes is pressure. Talk to Joe Jackson about his mistakes, he wouldn’t be at Memphis if he had it to go over again like so many Memphis players.

Mid major petty ass joke of a program. And the fans are borderline slow, as you can tell by their posts.

Last edited:
Whoops, almost got to the 2nd page. Got to make sure the Memphis thread strarted by Kentucky fans stays on Page 1

Just posted a thread from y’alls broke down pos board. What is that format? 1994?

Like your program, worth nothing.

But yea we see the absolute obsession with UK. So is everyone else. Take a number.

Memphis wants to be a UK so badly you can’t take it. But you never will be. Have fun finding a W on everything other than what matters.

Again, Kentucky nearly has as many final fours as Memphis has tournament appearances. Lmao.

You’d think that would explain things to you but I’m not surprised you still think you’re special.

You guys are very special indeed.

Penny would be proud of the way you guys behave. Bumping a stupid thread so your name stays at the top of a Kentucky message board?

Been a long time since you’ve seen your name mentioned anywhere hasn’t it?:joy:

Reactions: BBUK
How do you guys expect this next years class compare to others for you guys?

All of our classes are fine and we compete at the highest level more so than any program in history. Don’t worry about it.

Tulane has a board. UCF has a board. Tulsa has a board. I still don’t understand why you’re here?

Is it really that cool to see your name on a Kentucky message board? I mean if that’s helping you get through the day, then have at it I guess.

All of our classes are fine and we compete at the highest level more so than any program in history. Don’t worry about it.

Tulane has a board. UCF has a board. Tulsa has a board. I still don’t understand why you’re here?

Is it really that cool to see your name on a Kentucky message board? I mean if that’s helping you get through the day, then have at it I guess.

Listen, not all Tiger fans are here to see our name on some board, I saw a thread from a school I support and decided to comment, I see it’s frustrating you, but trying to discuss these topics you guys brought up. Relax..

Glad you understood, I wasn't completely sure...

Reactions: morgousky
Listen, not all Tiger fans are here to see our name on some board, I saw a thread from a school I support and decided to comment, I see it’s frustrating you, but trying to discuss these topics you guys brought up. Relax..

100% on RR, who's your team again?....jmuo

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Just like you schedule SIU, Winthrop, North Dakota, TSU and the Virginia Military Institution.

We’d have to actually look to find out if you actually have a more accomplished program than those. Since we schedule those, I’m guessing not.

I mean all commuter schools are the same.

Please quote where I said kids are lining up to play for him ? I stated why kids may know him . Penny was a very good player in his prime that isn’t very debatable .

Grant Hill career average is 16 let me guess he wasn’t all that good either huh
Grant Hill stayed hurt all the time!

I actually haven’t posted on Rupp since November of 2018 until this thread about Memphis. Additionally, you don’t know how much I post on my board. Check the math again.

The funniest part of all of this to me is that a fan base with an over-inflated opinion of themselves is mad at a Memphis fan becuase they think Memphis fans have an over-inflated opinion of themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT