ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

MbergCat

Senior
Nov 23, 2014
I looked on the front page and didn't see a similar thread. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around Memphis landing all these stars. I mean, their potential haul is incredible.

Does this make sense to anyone on here? I mean, I know Penny was a star in the NBA, but it was short lived and before most of these kids were even born. I find it hard to believe that there isn't something dirty going on there.

You kidding? Who wouldn't want to play for a coach with only one year of college experience, in a mid-major conference, and in a city where the humidity will bring down an army mule.
Weird, right?

Getting the players is one thing, coaching them and getting them to play as a team is another. We shall see.
Cal has proven over and over he can do all of the above.
Penny is like the new good looking girl at school. Gets a lot of attention until everyone finds out she's not all they thought she was.

Last edited:
It’s because of not only penny being able to relate to these kids a little more, but mike miller seems to be a stud recruiter. Both played in the nba. Since there is nothing to compare penny to since he gets a pass for this last yr, kids list to his bs. You know who else could recruit josh pastner. Recruiting is one thing, coaching is another

I looked on the front page and didn't see a similar thread. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around Memphis landing all these stars. I mean, their potential haul is incredible.

Does this make sense to anyone on here? I mean, I know Penny was a star in the NBA, but it was short lived and before most of these kids were even born. I find it hard to believe that there isn't something dirty going on there.

They don't even have a top 10 class atm. 1 5-star, 3 4-stars.

It’s because of not only penny being able to relate to these kids a little more, but mike miller seems to be a stud recruiter. Both played in the nba. Since there is nothing to compare penny to since he gets a pass for this last yr, kids list to his bs. You know who else could recruit josh pastner. Recruiting is one thing, coaching is another
Penny has already shown with the same kids, Wiseman and co, that he couldn’t get to a Nike Peach Jam final game against AAU coaches. Now he’s up against college coaches.

This is Penny's one shot...if they are piss poor next year he will never get elite players again.

I agree it is weird. I can understand local/regional kids going there, but can't believe Memphis is a big draw nationally.

Also, while I agree that Penny may not be able to coach, we may want to pump our breaks until we get an actual sample size with 'his' players.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Penny isn't a good coach. He can recruit, but he will lose games he shouldn't. They'll not make the Sweet 16 I bet.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Its looking like Boogie Ellis and Hampton are gonna end up. That would give them the probable top 2 picks in next years draft. The talent will be there. The question is, can he do anything with it?
One might be a top 2 pick, but not both. I think it's more likely that their draft stocks will fall playing for an unproven coach.

These kids still know about Penny though . His shoes are still very popular . He also is still fairly young and knows how to relate to the kids more than older coaches .
I agree with you and look at it we are only getting close so if Penny can get them to the same level ok we have had the door wide open the last two years only to come up short with a coach that makes more money in a year then Penny will ever see in years at Memphis

This is an easy one. Penny has been an earner for Nike for a LONG time. K is about to hang it up. He's being groomed as Nike's "guy" who gets the guys who are bought and paid for.

Jury will be out on if Penny can win with these guys. I didn't consider this past year a big deal for Penny because he was gonna get a haul of recruits with his AAU connections. However, winning the American won't be easy because you still have Houston (Kelvin Sampson), Wichita State (Gregg Marshall), and UConn (Dan Hurley) chilling there.

I keep hearing a lot of the recruits and fathers speak so highly of Mike Miller. Like he is the man. I think Penny is a shady SOB. Weird Cal had his first decommit ever and now Dook and one already went to Memphis and the other is believed to be a Memphis lean. I think he's talking to these kids once they commit to other schools. I smell dirty pool.

Jury will be out on if Penny can win with these guys. I didn't consider this past year a big deal for Penny because he was gonna get a haul of recruits with his AAU connections. However, winning the American won't be easy because you still have Houston (Kelvin Sampson), Wichita State (Gregg Marshall), and UConn (Dan Hurley) chilling there.
That's 3 ok schools, but what about the rest of those turds. I can't believe top kids want to play in that BS conference.

Penny isn't a good coach. He can recruit, but he will lose games he shouldn't. They'll not make the Sweet 16 I bet.
You can only lie to recruits and tell each one they will get so much clock and so many shots and we’re going to put the ball in your hands so many times before it catches up with you , just wait and see team termoil in action this year.

Last edited:

Hearing Precious & Hampton may end up in Kansas. Not what Memphis fans want to hear

giphy.gif
[laughing]

This is an easy one. Penny has been an earner for Nike for a LONG time. K is about to hang it up. He's being groomed as Nike's "guy" who gets the guys who are bought and paid for.

If Nike's name was brought up by Avenatti you would think they wouldn't want to be associated with Memphis, that would be more reason to for the NCAA to be hovering around the program.

I agree with you and look at it we are only getting close so if Penny can get them to the same level ok we have had the door wide open the last two years only to come up short with a coach that makes more money in a year then Penny will ever see in years at Memphis

Periods
  1. Rule 1. Use a period at the end of a complete sentence that is a statement.
  2. Rule 2. If the last item in the sentence is an abbreviation that ends in a period, do not follow it with another period.
  3. Rule 3. Question marks and exclamation points replace and eliminate periods at the end of a sentence.

How’s it any different than when Cal was getting top recruits at Memphis? Same school, city, humidity, and crime as when he was there.
Penny had more success in the nba than Cal did.
I bleed UK blue all the way. But considering the state of college basketball I don’t see why it’s mind blowing to some that an ex nba superstar and Mike Miller are bringing in top recruits at a school where Cal did it too. And the Cal Memphis hired wasn’t the hall of fame coach that’s at KY now.

Periods
  1. Rule 1. Use a period at the end of a complete sentence that is a statement.
  2. Rule 2. If the last item in the sentence is an abbreviation that ends in a period, do not follow it with another period.
  3. Rule 3. Question marks and exclamation points replace and eliminate periods at the end of a sentence.

Whataboutthespacebarcanyoutellmehowtousethataswell?[roll]

How’s it any different than when Cal was getting top recruits at Memphis? Same school, city, humidity, and crime as when he was there.
Penny had more success in the nba than Cal did.
I bleed UK blue all the way. But considering the state of college basketball I don’t see why it’s mind blowing to some that an ex nba superstar and Mike Miller are bringing in top recruits at a school where Cal did it too. And the Cal Memphis hired wasn’t the hall of fame coach that’s at KY now.

Cal had coached more than little league when he went to Memphis , and had a history of helping kids get where they wanted to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT