ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis NCAA infractions case closed: Updates on where Kansas, Louisville, LSU, Arizona stand with IARP

Anyone holding out hope anybody will get punished is loony tunes. Kansas has the all-time wins now and we have to take it back. UNCheat has 2 titles they shouldn't have, and Kansas has at least 1.

Question for anyone: How long did it take for the NCAA to hammer UK during the Sutton era?

Our president at that time Roselle didn’t care for sports. He was quoted as saying whatever the NCAA comes up with we did it. UK could of lawyered up like UNC and fought but we just laid down.

In fairness, I do think the culture of the NCAA was different back then. Had we fought the NCAA like UNC did, we might have been hammered harder than we were.....and I very well know we were hammered anyway. That was painful.

In fairness, I do think the culture of the NCAA was different back then. Had we fought the NCAA like UNC did, we might have been hammered harder than we were.....and I very well know we were hammered anyway. That was painful.
I kinda agree with you but when Roselle said what ever you come up with I knew we were in trouble. Funny how Duke would just look into things and say nothing to be seen here. The NCAA had bigger teeth back then but they kinda took them out when dealing with other programs.

Our president at that time Roselle didn’t care for sports. He was quoted as saying whatever the NCAA comes up with we did it. UK could of lawyered up like UNC and fought but we just laid down.
Rosselle was a Duke graduate if I remember correctly. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

Reactions: RunninRichie
Rosselle was a Duke graduate if I remember correctly. Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

To be fair, he received his Ph.D from Duke. That is very different from going to Duke for an undergraduate degree. Matt Jones also graduated from Duke with a law degree. My point is that it doesn't make me wonder at all. And, for the record, I was close to going to Duke for a graduate degree as well but it just didn't work out. And, at the time, I was an avid UK fan and still am.

To be fair, he received his Ph.D from Duke. That is very different from going to Duke for an undergraduate degree. Matt Jones also graduated from Duke with a law degree. My point is that it doesn't make me wonder at all. And, for the record, I was close to going to Duke for a graduate degree as well but it just didn't work out. And, at the time, I was an avid UK fan and still am.
I agree with you a lot but if Roselle took Duke stance and investigated and said we found nothing what could they do. Like I said Duke had Magette do almost the same thing Camby did and nothing happened. The guy bought jewelry with like a 60,000$ loan nothing happened back then the ncaa had a little bite. Duke never found a problem. Why didn’t we do that rather than say whatever you say we did it.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I just watched a short youtube video with Jeff Goodman and Robbie Hummel shooting on this a little bit. Hummel was laughing about the memphis ruling. He thought it was ridiculous and that’s it’s equally ridiculous it’s taking them so long to rule.

Goodman says most of the sources he’s talked to after post season bans for programs are a thing of the past but some coaches(bill self, sean miller, rick pitino, chris mack) might get suspended from coaching in the ncaa tournament.

I sense that the media still loves bill self though so they’ll go to bat for him and the IARP(which goodman made the point was more or less trained and elected by the ncaa so it’s not really independent) will likely be influenced by that so i’d be willing to bet nothing happens to self or kansas.

I agree with you a lot but if Roselle took Duke stance and investigated and said we found nothing what could they do. Like I said Duke had Magette do almost the same thing Camby did and nothing happened. The guy bought jewelry with like a 60,000$ loan nothing happened back then the ncaa had a little bite. Duke never found a problem. Why didn’t we do that rather than say whatever you say we did it.
I think you are not remembering correctly. The jewelry loan was Lance Thomas. Maggette was tied to Myron Piggie. Every player who played for Piggie and received money was punished in some way EXCEPT for Maggette. Maggette at first refused to cooperate and then lied about it and finally admitted to taking money. The NCAA buried the case until Dan Wetzel wrote an article about it. THE VERY NEXT DAY, the NCAA came out with the strangest statement I have ever seen from them. Here is a quote from the LA Times:

“The standard for that is whether either the institution knew or should have known that Maggette was ineligible, or if Maggette himself knew that -- or should have known that he was ineligible,” said David Price, the NCAA’s vice president for enforcement.

“After a lengthy investigation, we came to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to determine that Maggette knew or should have known, and we firmly believe that the institution did not know and should not have known. Consequently, we have notified the institution that there will be no action by the NCAA.”

• Angry
Reactions: Montana81
I think you are not remembering correctly. The jewelry loan was Lance Thomas. Maggette was tied to Myron Piggie. Every player who played for Piggie and received money was punished in some way EXCEPT for Maggette. Maggette at first refused to cooperate and then lied about it and finally admitted to taking money. The NCAA buried the case until Dan Wetzel wrote an article about it. THE VERY NEXT DAY, the NCAA came out with the strangest statement I have ever seen from them. Here is a quote from the LA Times:

“The standard for that is whether either the institution knew or should have known that Maggette was ineligible, or if Maggette himself knew that -- or should have known that he was ineligible,” said David Price, the NCAA’s vice president for enforcement.

“After a lengthy investigation, we came to the conclusion that there was insufficient evidence to determine that Maggette knew or should have known, and we firmly believe that the institution did not know and should not have known. Consequently, we have notified the institution that there will be no action by the NCAA.”
I knew about the money I just threw in the jewelry think . From what I heard the jewelry thing was like an illegal benefit nothing happened about it. Just off the top of my head I thought at the time Maggette did was wrong and it didn’t matter if you knew it was wrong or not. It was against the rules.

I knew about the money I just threw in the jewelry think . From what I heard the jewelry thing was like an illegal benefit nothing happened about it. Just off the top of my head I thought at the time Maggette did was wrong and it didn’t matter if you knew it was wrong or not. It was against the rules.

You are very right. The NCAA made up their own rules to let Duke and Coach K off. The facts were blatantly ignored. Maggette initially refused to cooperate. Why would he do that if he didn't know he did something wrong. Then, he flat out lied. Again, why lie if you thought the money was okay to accept? As for Duke, they have an obligation per NCAA rules to make sure their student athletes know the rules and follow the rules. If Maggette didn't know, he certainly should have!

Reactions: Catluv
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT