ADVERTISEMENT

MeManBoy says VJ…

Kind of off topic, but I need some people to talk me off the ledge on Boogie Fland. I have watched him play a few games and just not sold on him being able to play at the elite level. Hope I am wrong, but not overly impressed with his shooting and selection.

I haven't watched him so I have no idea.

But I don't love when Cal has a sub top25 player at guard. Aside from a guy like SGA, that's usually something that doesn't work out.

With UK's resurgence, not only with recruiting but also our offense, being top5, etc.. I could see us over recruiting him before it's all said and done. Maybe a reclass, maybe another recruit, maybe even a decommit.

Reactions: Fox2monk

But I don't love when Cal has a sub top25 player at guard. Aside from a guy like SGA, that's usually something that doesn't work out.

With UK's resurgence, not only with recruiting but also our offense, being top5, etc.. I could see us over recruiting him before it's all said and done. Maybe a reclass, maybe another recruit, maybe even a decommit.

I liken him to Quickley. He can come off the bench his freshman year and makes that leap sophomore year.

Uh fland isn't a sub top 25 guy so this makes no sense. Some have him top 10 some top 5 some top 20. But not top 35 or whatever. Also Booker . Sheppard and Herro were sub top 25 as well soooo......

Uh fland isn't a sub top 25 guy so this makes no sense. Some have him top 10 some top 5 some top 20. But not top 35 or whatever. Also Booker . Sheppard and Herro were sub top 25 as well soooo......

He's 20th on RSCI.

247 has him 33rd.

I'm just saying, on paper, he's not quite the guard we're used to getting. And mentioning Booker and Herro is short sighted.. there's dozens upon dozens of 15 to 30th guys you never hear from. Herro and Booker are outliers

Reactions: JrandoUK
Harrow, askew, Wheeler, Ashton,

Or

Fox, Wall, Teague, knight, maxey..

This isn't rocket science. Rankings, generally matter. It's not set in stone. Maybe Fland shows out. But no, I don't love when Cal, who needs overwhelming talent to win, has a non top10 type recruit at PG as a freshman.

You thinkShep will be here
I would be absolutely shocked if Reed left for the draft after one year. Not because he couldn’t, but because of the college experience.

Plus he’ll make terrific money via the NIL and I think Jeff and Stacey will direct him to know the NBA is a serious business and to enjoy college while you can and get your education.

Last edited:
I would be absolutely shocked if Eeed left for the draft after one year. Not because he couldn’t, but because of the college experience.

Plus he’ll make terrific money via the NIL and I think Jeff and Stacey will direct him to know the NBA is a serious business and to enjoy college while you can and get your education.
I think he will opt for the pro route and he should.

Last edited:
I would be absolutely shocked if Eeed left for the draft after one year. Not because he couldn’t, but because of the college experience.

I hope you're spot on.

Kind of off topic, but I need some people to talk me off the ledge on Boogie Fland. I have watched him play a few games and just not sold on him being able to play at the elite level. Hope I am wrong, but not overly impressed with his shooting and selection.
I watched the clip of him playing against Montverde and he played very well against a team of high Div I recruits. Including the likely player of the year. He was agile, handled it well, shot well, and passed well. What were you seeing in the Montverde clip that dismayed you? He hit 3s, shots at the rim, floaters. He wasn't playing against noodles either.

If you want to calm a bit, have to realize he's actually the age of what a HS JR should be-age wise, Boogie should be in the '25 class. That he's played up his entire life is a plus to me, but I can see why you'd have some concerns if you are expecting Wall/Fox type-and let's face it whomever comes in next year is going to have a difficult time in measuring up to what we're seeing at guard for such young players. That's where John Welch comes in though. As long as he's on staff...you'll see players develop (those who are willing to invest/work that is) and many who didn't really see much in Fland in AAU season raved about what he did at Team USA Camp this Fall. Also was told that DJ/Rob came back from a Nike event with him there and talked him up big time to Cal as he more than held his own. He's grown (literally) and I'm excited for what he can turn into at Kentucky seeing he's a mature guy who is on his own growth pattern as a player-not obsessed with being 1 and done. Wants to be ready for next level, not just rush to get to it.

..is a lock to UK. Take it as you will

Eight current Kentucky players will probably be gone after the season. Maybe more. Regardless of what Edgecombe does, Kentucky has room for Knox. That does not mean Cal will take him. I have a feeling it was either Richmond or Knox, and Cal opted to take the great onball defender instead of another shooter. Could be wrong about it, just a feeling.

Reactions: RickUK-Club74
What’s holding you back on him?

It's going to be so odd to hear Duke fans tout their class as the greatest of all time.. when it's not even the #1 class for 2024 lmfao.

If you want to calm a bit, have to realize he's actually the age of what a HS JR should be-age wise, Boogie should be in the '25 class. That he's played up his entire life is a plus to me, but I can see why you'd have some concerns if you are expecting Wall/Fox type-and let's face it whomever comes in next year is going to have a difficult time in measuring up to what we're seeing at guard for such young players. That's where John Welch comes in though. As long as he's on staff...you'll see players develop (those who are willing to invest/work that is) and many who didn't really see much in Fland in AAU season raved about what he did at Team USA Camp this Fall. Also was told that DJ/Rob came back from a Nike event with him there and talked him up big time to Cal as he more than held his own. He's grown (literally) and I'm excited for what he can turn into at Kentucky seeing he's a mature guy who is on his own growth pattern as a player-not obsessed with being 1 and done. Wants to be ready for next level, not just rush to get to it.
Definitely not going to try and compare him to Fox or Wall. That is just not fair to him. It's not he is a terrible shooter, it's his shot selection. Whi h is why he has the low to mid 30% from 3. Love the kids heart, and the way he rebounds for a guard. Next level he is go na have to bulk up big time. He is not the most filled out pg Cal has recruited. He is young , but what ever , what ever. Not matter his age , he has a year here to bulk up. I said talk me down. Don't dislike his game, just his physique and shot selection has me a little concerned.

Only the greatest source of info you have ever met. His info was so good he made a lifer forum you had to buy into, in order to read things. (Then he bilked untold numbers of people out of their dough and shut down his operation.) Him and Matt Jones are basically clones or besties.

FIFY

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I think Cal is over the whole “build it through the portal” experiment. It didn’t work for him. It might work for others, but it didn’t for him.

Now with the success he is having with Freshmen being the core of the team, I don’t think he is going to use the portal much. He will fill in the blanks when he misses on a recruit, but he’s not going to build a team of transfers again. He has won 1 game in the NCAA tourney with veteran talent. He is likely ready to stay with the young talent and go as far as the youngsters can take him.

I just hope he doesn’t go overboard. He needs a Reeves type guy and a Mitchell type guy to mix in with the Freshmen.

Right now we have a pretty good balance of young talent and experience. Two fifth year Seniors, two Sophomores, and five Freshmen in the 9-man rotation.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Losing Reeves and Dillingham, we better get Edgecombe if we are to have another explosive type offensive team. Edgecombe > Fland, Perry and Richmond-by far. Hope that Sheppard comes back to play the one and Edgecombe at the two. Then Fland and Perry would be solid backups to those two. And you could still at times go with three guards with those four.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
like everybody. else I sure would love to VJ pick up that Dook hat from the table and throw it in the trash and then pick up the Kentucky one ! It appears or at least rumors indicate he might be leaning toward Kentucky and while I would love to believe them I hesitate a little on ME Man Boy
I will be shocked if Shep decides to go pro in the next few months because the nil money will come pouring in in order to keep him here
Dave

I think he will be here for sure next year as well. I think his parents will have a lot to do with it as well .

To give this some context and also changing it to sub top 20 guards, due to many in the 20-25 range, including Fland.

Here's the ones that 'worked out':
Bledsoe - #52
Lamb - #26
Ulis - #18 (close enough)
Booker - #23
Gilgeous-Alexander - #30
Herro - #35
Quickley - #23
Sheppard - #33

Didn't work out:
Poole - #50
Matthews - #50
Quade Green - #23
Juzang - #34 (did work out at UCLA)
Askew - #28

To give this some context and also changing it to sub top 20 guards, due to many in the 20-25 range, including Fland.

Here's the ones that 'worked out':
Bledsoe - #52
Lamb - #26
Ulis - #18 (close enough)
Booker - #23
Gilgeous-Alexander - #30
Herro - #35
Quickley - #23
Sheppard - #33

Didn't work out:
Poole - #50
Matthews - #50
Quade Green - #23
Juzang - #34 (did work out at UCLA)
Askew - #28

The thing is, almost ALL the top10 guards we have were great. Thay doesn't mean Fland will be a bust.. but more so that as that ranking dips into the 20s, you're starting to look at more multi-year guys and guys who make take more time.

I think Shep Stays unless a lottery, But that ain't happening. Sheps stock goes down after his second year. This team makes Shep better than he probably is. Take Dilly, Waggoner and Trey away and Shep isn't having the season he's had. Next years team with Shep and Perry will make shep look less than he now. When good defenders lock down on Shep he'll struggle.
Absolutely awful take. Shepherds plus minus speaks for itself. When he comes in the team gets instantly better.

Absolutely awful take. Shepherds plus minus speaks for itself. When he comes in the team gets instantly better.

I do kind of wonder how Shep will do facing NBA level size and speed. Not saying he will be a bust or anything, but it's really the only downside to his game as it translates to the NBA. I could see a scenario like Jimmer Fredette, where the guy could drop 60 in any damn league that ISN'T the NBA.. then he tries several attempts to get back into the league and that added size and speed proves just too much for him.

Hard to peg what Shep will do. His game is already so polished, and he probably doesn't NEED the NBA money.. however, one big injury could cost him millions, and I'm not sure he cn feasibly raise his draft stock much higher. I think he can be at the end of the lottery, but probably not much higher.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the only way Sheppard goes pro after this year if is we win the title in April.

He could be a top 10 pick with one more season.

Reactions: the stat man
I do kind of wonder how Shep will do facing NBA level size and speed. Not saying he will be a bust or anything, but it's really the only downside to his game as it translates to the NBA. I could see a scenario like Jimmer Fredette, where the guy could drop 60 in any damn league that ISN'T the NBA.. then he tries several attempts to get back into the league and that added size and speed proves just too much for him.

Hard to peg what Shep will do. His game is already so polished, and he probably doesn't NEED the NBA money.. however, one big injury could cost him millions, and I'm not sure he cn feasibly raise his draft stock much higher. I think he can be at the end of the lottery, but probably not much higher.
I think Sheppard's stock ceiling is lottery, and he isn't quite there yet. NBA teams will want to see if he can run a ballclub fulltime. He's an NBA point guard with his size.

Filipowski turned down top 20 pick status last year for Duke. Sheppard likely does the same if we come up short of the title.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Fland is a solid player, but he's not a De'Aaron Fox / John Wall caliber PG as a freshman. That doesn't mean he won't be an impact player. Nobody is getting that kind of PG. Rivals has Fland as the #1 PG in the class....we are essentially getting the best available.

I admit I am a sucker for NYC Point Guards, but in general I think Fland is a good player. He also seems like a really good kid.

Taking the best available PG in the class is never a bad thing IMO, even if the overall PG class is down, you are still getting the best available.

I think Sheppard's stock ceiling is lottery, and he isn't quite there yet. NBA teams will want to see if he can run a ballclub fulltime. He's an NBA point guard with his size.

Filipowski turned down top 20 pick status last year for Duke. Sheppard likely does the same if we come up short of the title.
I don’t think Sheppard’s measurables will get him into the lottery. He is 6’2 maybe 6’3 and while he has speed and agility, it’s not off the charts. The main area he could improve is his strength, but I don’t think that is a big enough factor.

I don’t see him having the physical attributes to be a starting NBA PG, and if you are using a lottery pick, you want a potential starter at least.

Sheppard is probably going to be a shooter off the bench type, IMHO.

His ceiling to me is a JJ Reddick type career.

Does a GM spend a lottery pick on a guy with that as his ceiling?

I just don’t see Sheppard as a perennial NBA All-Star or anywhere close to that. I don’t think NBA scouts will see him that way either.

The NBA drafts on potential and Sheppard’s ceiling just doesn’t seem very high because of his measurables.

Now his basketball IQ may raise the ceiling in some GM’s mind, but is that enough to gamble a lottery pick on him?

To me he’s a “let’s see if he will drop to us in the late 1st/2nd round” type.

I admit I am a sucker for NYC Point Guards, but in general I think Fland is a good player. He also seems like a really good kid.

Edgecombe is from New York too - outside of Queens, on Long Island.

Too bad we missed on Ian Jackson (UNC) as he is from the Bronx.

Fland plays for a Bronx AAU team, but I think he's from White Plains, north of the Bronx.

Edgecombe is from New York too - outside of Queens, on Long Island.

Too bad we missed on Ian Jackson (UNC) as he is from the Bronx.

Fland plays for a Bronx AAU team, but I think he's from White Plains, north of the Bronx.

I too like PGs from the northeast. Known for being tough guys. And it's not just NYC, but Philly, Jersey, Baltimore etc. The Big East buttered it's bread with these types of guards for decades

I too like PGs from the northeast. Known for being tough guys. And it's not just NYC, but Philly, Jersey, Baltimore etc. The Big East buttered it's bread with these types of guards for decades
And Wayne Turner from Massachusetts didn’t turn out too badly.

Absolutely awful take. Shepherds plus minus speaks for itself. When he comes in the team gets instantly

I think Shep Stays unless a lottery, But that ain't happening. Sheps stock goes down after his second year. This team makes Shep better than he probably is. Take Dilly, Waggoner and Trey away and Shep isn't having the season he's had. Next years team with Shep and Perry will make shep look less than he now. When good defenders lock down on Shep he'll struggle.
Horrible take. Some of you know nothing about basketball. Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT