ADVERTISEMENT

Should they be

NIL basics:

1)NIL deals are signed contracts with athletes & 3rd parties
2) many ARE mulit year deals. The most famous is QB Nico down in Knoxville, $8M for 4 yrs.
3)NIL deals can't be pay for play, can't be for attending a specific school.
4)NIL gets around this by saying no payments unless they live in, say, Lexington KY 95% of the time.
5)So if a kid transfers after a yr, he broke the contract, no more $$$.
6)salary cap....this ain't no salary, nothin to cap. 3rd parry deals between boosters/companies/collectives and the players. Schools can't have control how much or how little.

The length of the agreement is not relevant. It's the fact that a NIL contract can't include language that ties a player to a school. No one is forcing NIL agreements to be one year agreements. One year agreements are the norm because you can't use it to tie a player to a school. If you offer a two year NIL agreement, the player can leave after a year and you are still using him and paying him for NIL and he doesn't play for you team anymore. The length of the agreements are voluntary, but who would offer two years under the current law. It wouldn't make sense.

Pay the 2nd year once he’s enrolled and past the transfer deadline. Offer a bonus for year 2 as well.

Actually enforce transfer rules as they stand now and none of this even happens.

NIL basics:

1)NIL deals are signed contracts with athletes & 3rd parties
2) many ARE mulit year deals. The most famous is QB Nico down in Knoxville, $8M for 4 yrs.
3)NIL deals can't be pay for play, can't be for attending a specific school.
4)NIL gets around this by saying no payments unless they live in, say, Lexington KY 95% of the time.
5)So if a kid transfers after a yr, he broke the contract, no more $$$.
6)salary cap....this ain't no salary, nothin to cap. 3rd parry deals between boosters/companies/collectives and the players. Schools can't have control how much or how little.
Good information.

You can enforce it by saying "if you transfer, you miss out on the 2nd year of the NIL money".

Structure the NIL deals so that the entice players to stick around. It's not easy to do, because there's so many other angles here (Does the team even want the player for year 2, what if he's injured, etc).. but this is kind of how we will get out of this mess.
They enter the portal and get the new deal from the new suitor like now.

Back loading would seem limited in effectiveness and may end up counterproductive by players simply looking at the year one as the "guaranteed" portion of the deal and the cream of the crop just ratchet up the packages and the "also rans" collect big loyalty bucks before their next stops too.

There would have to near universal buy in. A fair chunk of renegades would neuter the whole idea.

Caps seem a complete nonstarter, even where they are used they only limit (and sometimes also mandate spending) what the team can pay but players have no limits on what they bring in otherwise so if Nike wants to give them a half billion dollar deal it has zero impact on the salary cap.

This proposal would hope to cap Nike's deal and that is never going to fly. We aren't going to reinvent the way the economy is designed or force public colleges to absorb a half million employees, most of which produce no revenue in order to provide college sports fans with a greater sense of continuity or whatever.

Year to year, have been for decades.

“Are scholarships for all 4 years? The terms and duration for a full ride scholarship vary. So, you should always check the terms carefully to understand the details of a specific scholarship program. Some cover all four years, while others may only cover one, two or three years of school.”

Google says it varies, not set in stone to 1 year.

“Are scholarships for all 4 years? The terms and duration for a full ride scholarship vary. So, you should always check the terms carefully to understand the details of a specific scholarship program. Some cover all four years, while others may only cover one, two or three years of school.”

Google says it varies, not set in stone to 1 year.
That's true for scholarships in general but athletic scholarships are one year. For the most part, however, coaches renew as long as the player are in good standing. My son was on athletic scholarship at a mid-major about 25 years ago and it was year to year. My grandson was just awarded an academic scholarship at a college and it is good for 4 years. FWIW.

That's true for scholarships in general but athletic scholarships are one year. For the most part, however, coaches renew as long as the player are in good standing. My son was on athletic scholarship at a mid-major about 25 years ago and it was year to year. My grandson was just awarded an academic scholarship at a college and it is good for 4 years. FWIW.

“Beginning this fall, schools in the “power five” conferences – the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 – mandated four-year scholarships for their athletes following January’s passage of landmark rules changes.”

This article was from 2015. Unless it’s changed since.

Scholarships are one year things, would not think NIL would supersede that.
And yet they do, many NILs are multi yr contracts

Guess it is possible a guy gets a 2 yr NIL, but sucks, and the coach does not renew his scholarship. and the kid sit home collecting his NIL instead of transferring and playing elsewhere.

Unlikely. The kids getting significant NIL want to develop for the NFL/NBA, and get REAL money.

“Beginning this fall, schools in the “power five” conferences – the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 – mandated four-year scholarships for their athletes following January’s passage of landmark rules changes.”

This article was from 2015. Unless it’s changed since.
Don't think that's the case now.

Don't think that's the case now.

Not saying you’re wrong you said it’s been year to year for many years. Also, not saying you’re wrong, but I can’t find anything that says it’s changed from this since 2015. I’m not good with phones or computers so maybe I’m overlooking it.

Not saying you’re wrong you said it’s been year to year for many years. Also, not saying you’re wrong, but I can’t find anything that says it’s changed from this since 2015. I’m not good with phones or computers so maybe I’m overlooking it.
Just Googled "how long are athletic scholarships good for?" and got the response in big black letters: ONE YEAR. I'm just passing on what my family experienced plus what I've read over the years. Take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: chroix
Just Googled "how long are athletic scholarships good for?" and got the response in big black letters: ONE YEAR. I'm just passing on what my family experienced plus what I've read over the years. Take it for what it's worth.

Add “at power 5 schools” and see what comes up. That’s what I typed in.

As far as I can tell the 2015 rule is still in effect and the Power five schools have to follow through if they offer a four year scholarship. I’d assume they don’t do that except for elite players and keep second tier players year to year but that’s just a guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT