ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Maxey making announcement very soon

Man, if we get PJ, Gabriel, and Vanderbilt back, I would rather get Carey, Wiseman, and Maxey in 19'. Hagans in 18' is great but if all those guys show up this fall that is just insane. It will kind of be Championship or bust as we will lose the entire team and will have already depleted the 19' class enough that we may struggle to reload with top talent. Unless we have some transfers or decommits (which will be likely with that haul) it will be back to platooning again as well haha.

These are good problems to have, don't get me wrong. I'll bet other programs are cursing Coach K for p***ing in Cals cornflakes and getting him riled up.

You forgot EJ.

Yep, forgot him. But it furthers my point.

If we get Maxey I could see Green changing his mind and transferring. Maxey isn't coming to Kentucky to get 15mpg.

We just don't have the room. I'm not sure we even have the room as is. Of course it's a good problem to have, but I think something has to give.

Yep, forgot him. But it furthers my point.

If we get Maxey I could see Green changing his mind and transferring. Maxey isn't coming to Kentucky to get 15mpg.

We just don't have the room. I'm not sure we even have the room as is. Of course it's a good problem to have, but I think something has to give.
Green ain’t transferring, that has already been decided

Green ain’t transferring, that has already been decided

Not so sure about that. Cal won't be able to guarantee Green the minutes he's probably looking for, if Maxey comes here.

How do you think this works out? You think guys like Herro and Baker want to be bench players? You can't have 6 guards for two spots. Two, maybe even three guards are going to see very minimal minutes.

Unless we're talking about platooning, six guards, with a loaded front court, does. not. work.

Not so sure about that. Cal won't be able to guarantee Green the minutes he's probably looking for, if Maxey comes here.

How do you think this works out? You think guys like Herro and Baker want to be bench players? You can't have 6 guards for two spots. Two, maybe even three guards are going to see very minimal minutes.

Unless we're talking about platooning, six guards, with a loaded front court, does. not. work.
I think we’ll see a lot of four guard sets.

Baker is a 3-4 year guy. Quade is a 3-4 year guy. Herro is a 2-4 year guy. IQ is a 2 year guy. Maxey is a 1-2 year guy.

You don't pass on guys who can win you a title just because other guys want more minutes. Every team in the country has guys who'd like to play more minutes. The best guys play.

Wasn't there a thread on here about Herro saying that if Hagans reclassified that that would be a lot of guards? How would he feel if Maxey committed and reclassified? Has he signed yet?

Wasn't there a thread on here about Herro saying that if Hagans reclassified that that would be a lot of guards? How would he feel if Maxey committed and reclassified? Has he signed yet?

No. He was asked about the possibility of Maxey reclassifying. Herro said that if Diallo and Green stick around we have a lot of guards, but that it was between Maxey and Cal. This was after saying that he welcomed the competition.

Baker is a 3-4 year guy. Quade is a 3-4 year guy. Herro is a 2-4 year guy. IQ is a 2 year guy. Maxey is a 1-2 year guy.

You don't pass on guys who can win you a title just because other guys want more minutes. Every team in the country has guys who'd like to play more minutes. The best guys play.

I remember a time, and maybe you do to, when rosters were 13, even 15 deep. We didn’t expect freshmen to play much. We hoped they were good enough to give us minutes.

Not implying that we’re returning to those days, but I do find it funny that it’s now considered a problem to have 6 or 7 guards on the roster.

So if we routinely play 3 at a time, and maybe 1 or 2 aren’t quite ready, where does that leave us? What if one of the ones who is ready gets hurt?

I, for one, won’t be crying over the notion of Herro or Baker getting their feelings hurt over playing time. Call me crazy, but I would rather have one or two extra bodies instead of being short-handed.

Wasn’t this what everyone wanted?

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I remember a time, and maybe you do to, when rosters were 13, even 15 deep. We didn’t expect freshmen to play much. We hoped they were good enough to give us minutes.

Not implying that we’re returning to those days, but I do find it funny that it’s now considered a problem to have 6 or 7 guards on the roster.

So if we routinely play 3 at a time, and maybe 1 or 2 aren’t quite ready, where does that leave us? What if one of the ones who is ready gets hurt?

I, for one, won’t be crying over the notion of Herro or Baker getting their feelings hurt over playing time. Call me crazy, but I would rather have one or two extra bodies instead of being short-handed.

Wasn’t this what everyone wanted?

It's also a lot harder to go pro if you never play. Maybe this is Cal's way of building depth.

Reactions: Aike
Only here could too many talented guards/wings be a potential problem for some people. These guys will go at it in practice and make each other better which will in turn make our team better. We can never have enough versatility and talent. Cal knows what he is doing so I'm sure he's got a master plan for fitting all of the pieces together. It's going to be an exciting team to watch.

Unless we get Washington or Gabriel back, or sign another big, I can't see a way around Johnson playing at the 4.

We will only have Richards, Montgomery, and Vanderbilt(maybe). Vanderbilt is injury prone and Richards is foul prone. There is a good chance we will be in games where Montgomery is our only guy over 6'6. In that situation Johnson will be at the 4.

And if Vanderbilt doesn't come back or can't play or re-injures his foot/ankle, then we would be down to two bigs. Johnson would definitely see minutes at the 4 in that situation.

I really don't see it happening. Washington or Gabriel will come back or Cal will find suitable replacements. Can't see us going into the season with just three guys over 6'6, especially given one is injury prone and another is foul prone.

A Hagans, Quickley, Maxey, Johnson, Montgomery lineup is pretty intriguing, though.

I think we’ll see a lot of four guard sets.

I'd be fine with that, but it's not like our front court is lacking. Here's what's scary: are JV, PJ and Gabriel seeing the amount of guards coming in and wondering that very same thing? That we might be forced into guard heavy line-ups, further making playing time in the front court even scarcer? Does that possibly push them to the draft?

Mizz played four-guard lineups with Pressey and co. because they just didn't have many front court options. I don't think it was by design. And it worked well, but it ultimately bit them. We have the front court guys, and some damn good ones.. we can't go away from that simply because we loaded up on guards.

I'd be fine with that, but it's not like our front court is lacking. Here's what's scary: are JV, PJ and Gabriel seeing the amount of guards coming in and wondering that very same thing? That we might be forced into guard heavy line-ups, further making playing time in the front court even scarcer? Does that possibly push them to the draft?

Mizz played four-guard lineups with Pressey and co. because they just didn't have many front court options. I don't think it was by design. And it worked well, but it ultimately bit them. We have the front court guys, and some damn good ones.. we can't go away from that simply because we loaded up on guards.

You think returning starters at positions we need are worried they'll be benched so Baker and Quade don't get their feelings hurt and Cal can play 4 guards?

You think returning starters at positions we need are worried they'll be benched so Baker and Quade don't get their feelings hurt and Cal can play 4 guards?

Well, we're talking two different things now. If we play a 3-guard/KJ lineup, then no, we don't need all of them.. or more importantly, there won't be enough minutes for them.

I don't buy into the 4-guard line-up some people think might happen, but several folks are now saying it. It could work, and some games it might be better. But we need a true body in the paint and a rebounding forward like PJ or JV. We'd get burned with a 4-guard lineup on nights we aren't shooting well.

But then, what becomes of the guard spots, because KJ moves to his true spot, the small forward. I'm not so worried about Baker, I think he knows the deal. But the other 5? Not so sure. Herro himself may have said he welcomes competition, but he doesn't think Maxey is needed either. To me, his comments said "Yeah, I'm a bit concerned there's another guard coming in who's going to take at 15-20 mpg."

In your opinion, then, how does this all shakeout? With Maxey? Aside from platooning, which, I'm not inherently against.. how does this work otherwise? Break down the minutes for me.

I like a lot of you really don't have a clue what Cal has up his sleeve but I trust Cal and all we need to do is sit back and see what he has planned. Cal knows a lot more about basketball than we do. Next year will be another fun year. If he has to bring back the platoon this so be it.

The platoon could absolutely work. My only worry with it is getting shooters going. Some nights there may be certain players that get 30 min and others that get 10.. Even if it's the normally better players that have to get 10.

Last edited:
If we get Maxey and Hagans, you do have to wonder if Green will stay, but I'm sure Cal was straight with him during their talk that it was a possibility. Besides, Green was higher ranked than SGA and he lost his spot to him. There is no guarantee that Hagans and Maxey will take a spot from Green. They will take a while to learn the ropes, which won't be the case with Green. Also, sitting out a year is not desirable. If Green thinks he is going to play in the NBA at some point, he can't be afraid of the competition.

The platoon could absolutely work. My only worry with it is getting shooters going. Some nights there may be certain players that get 30 min and others that get 10.. Even if it's the normally better players that have to get 10.

I know the conventional thinking is platooning hurt Cal in recruiting, but if Cal thinks the OAD is over in 2020, it's not really a risk to do it again this season.

If we get Maxey and Hagans, you do have to wonder if Green will stay, but I'm sure Cal was straight with him during their talk that it was a possibility. Besides, Green was higher ranked than SGA and he lost his spot to him. There is no guarantee that Hagans and Maxey will take a spot from Green. They will take a while to learn the ropes, which won't be the case with Green. Also, sitting out a year is not desirable. If Green thinks he is going to play in the NBA at some point, he can't be afraid of the competition.

That last part seems important to me. I can’t imagine being an elite player at Kentucky and reasoning “I want to make millions of dollars playing basketball, but these high schoolers are gonna outshine me.”

Remember when some were saying Cal “lost his touch” and seemed “burnt out” on recruiting ?

How can we forget.....they were all but ready to replace Cal just a few short weeks ago. Me, I never question the recruiting. I trust in Cal to do his job.......there are a few super coaches on here who know more than Cal does.................or at least they think they do!

I know the conventional thinking is platooning hurt Cal in recruiting, but if Cal thinks the OAD is over in 2020, it's not really a risk to do it again this season.

I think a few things hurt us.

1. Shit seeding. Still think this was the biggest factor. How sad to reward a historically great team with such a poor draw. Like Maximus getting stabbed in the side type of shit.

2. Poythress injury mixed things up.

3. Duke and Wisconsin were historically great teams in their own right.

4. Shooters. Aaron just never got going again. Booker never got enough minutes. We beat teams down so much that we didn't need big 3pt shooting.. Certainly not "clutch" shooting. And It was kinda like uconn women's team this year.

If it happens, that's a lot of talent on the perimeter. But don't get me wrong, even if we don't get Langford on Monday, our perimeter is also stacked.

No. It's not.

No Malik. No svi. No graham. No Mason. No final 4.

Dont ever say Kansas is stacked at anything except for conference titles.

Reactions: awf
Says a lot of about you to spend so much time here since you want us to fail, and it doesn't say anything good about you.

Ha! I enjoy watching good basketball. There is a lot of actual recruiting information on this site and we recruit much of the same players.

Do you want to see KU, UNC, Duke fail or succeed? Just curious.

Foghorn Leghorn can ball. He played with Mike...

foghorn-leghorn.gif

I say listen to me boy, Foghorn Leghorn is my hero..............................

Ha! I enjoy watching good basketball. There is a lot of actual recruiting information on this site and we recruit much of the same players.

Do you want to see KU, UNC, Duke fail or succeed? Just curious.

You don't get it. You don't seem very bright. I don't spend one second of my life on any of their boards. People that hang around others that they want to fail are LOSERS.

Reactions: awf
You don't get it. You don't seem very bright. I don't spend one second of my life on any of their boards. People that hang around others that they want to fail are LOSERS.

I got your point. Whether you spend any time on any other boards is not relevant. I don't bad mouth your basketball program. I pop in on recruiting and Kansas threads and an occasional thread talking about big college basketball game match-ups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT