ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Maxey making announcement very soon

I don't understand it at all, but you have to think this means the end for WG or that Ashton might be for next season. That's only way I could understand it as I think vando and pj come back. Just hope it doesn't piss a quickley/Herro/Baker off and somehow scare them away if for some reason wenyen still returns.

WG isn’t / won’t be playing guard: the same position ... why would it “ piss off “IQ/Herro/Baker if Gabriel returned ?

It slipped if you include certain players Cal was recruiting but it also amazes how Cal is able to let trouble slip from his grasp....just lucky I guess. The after the fact information that comes out tells me, maybe Cal slipped a little in recruiting but maybe it was partly the cyclical nature of the types of recruits involved. Cal may have been done a favor in a few instances of his..."failures"...

This, Cal is far from perfect and absolutely deserves criticism at times (just like any coach) but I don’t understand how our fans haven’t made this correlation yet...

WG isn’t / won’t be playing guard: the same position ... why would it “ piss off “IQ/Herro/Baker if Gabriel returned ?
Very simple actually. We will obviously be playing a ton of 3 guard lineups next season with all these PGs along with herro and KJ. Wenyen often times in his career has played the 3 as a wing and next season was definitely looking at a lot of time as a wing without Maxey. Basically we'd be replacing a 3 point shooter with a 3 point shooter, 3 guard lineup instead of a forward at the 3. PJ and vando are both strictly downlow players so it obviously would have nothing to do with them same with Montgomery and Richards. Just very basic process of elimination honestly.

We saw how ‘Nova won it all, with a team deadly from three with a handful of good to very good inside guys. Then we have seen why Golden State has been so dominate....all about guards shooting the three and allthe players all the court, generally being seriveable from deep. UK is set up to have big guys inside that can rebound and defended (Richards and Vanderbilt) and then a ton of guards. Some that are good / decent size, Keldon, Herro, Maxey, etc.

We saw how ‘Nova won it all, with a team deadly from three with a handful of good to very good inside guys. Then we have seen why Golden State has been so dominate....all about guards shooting the three and allthe players all the court, generally being seriveable from deep. UK is set up to have big guys inside that can rebound and defended (Richards and Vanderbilt) and then a ton of guards. Some that are good / decent size, Keldon, Herro, Maxey, etc.
Not entirely true.

Yeah, Golden State and Villanova rely on perimeter shooting (though that's overstated with Golden State- they were only 17th in team 3 point attempts this year), but a real key is the size of the guys they have that can shoot. When Villanova has Mikal Bridges and Omari Spellman on the floor, they don't have to play particularly small while still putting 5 shooting threats on the floor. And Golden State's traditional "lineup of death" has been Green, Durant (Harrison Barnes before), Iguodala, Thompson, and Curry. Green and Durant have tremendous length, and Iguodala is a muscular guy who's always been able to play bigger than his actual size.

The NBA is drooling over any guy 6'6" and up who shows the defensive ability to guard multiple positions, and can hit 3's with any consistency. That's why you'll see Bridges, who is not a particularly explosive athlete, being projected as high as top 10.

Teams that rely mainly on guards to hit threes can end up like Portland did. Physically overmatched, not able to get decent looks against bigger players.

Reactions: mccollums and Aike
I think Cal is a little behind on this one. Even the NBA has turned into a guard league and your guards better hit the 3 consistently or you run the chance of getting ran out of the building. If all these guards are Cats next year, we will have excellent guard play and every one of them will be a threat from 3 and to drive.

I'm already VERY excited about our team next year and it's not even formed yet!

Is it too late for Quickley to transfer to KU? I mean that gives you all 4 point guards Haggans (pg), Maxley (pg), Green (pg) in the same class. Then toss in Baker, Herro and Johnson and that's 7 perimeter players who could start at any other school.

If Calipari can keep all 7 of them happy, then he's a wizard. No way Montgomery, Vanderbilt, Richards and Washington aren't going to get the bulk of the 4 and 5 time. I guess that gives the 7 an average of 17 minutes per game, if he "platoons" the 1-3 spots.

Our backcourt would be Higgins proof

Good point.

How do we know Cal isn't thinking exactly that. He's seen the videos in more detail, broken down for analysis than we have.

If I am convinced for the first and only time in 40 years that an official is corrupt and has screwed us by watching youtube videos, imagine how he feels!

6 5* guards that can score are 25 personal fouls of insurance

[QU

Nothing is "Higgins Proof"!
OTE="Xception, post: 6895132, member: 6362"]Our backcourt would be Higgins proof!
Especially considering he answers to NOBODY! He can do whatever he wants to change the outcome of a game, as long as it doesn't affect UNCheat. Teddy Valentine found out the hard way.

This still makes no sense to me. There is no way we can end up with Richards, Vanderbilt, PJ, Gabriel, KJ, Herro, Quade, Quickley, Hagans, and Maxey. None of those players would be happy/satisfied with less than ~28 minutes per game. Cal is the master, but I don’t see how even he could make that work.

I honestly thought Quade would leave or Zmaxey would stay in 2019 and either Gabriel or PJ would go pro. (Both of those things could still happen). Eight stud players would be about perfect.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I'm fine with Johnson at the 4.. But then what? Richard's, Gabriel, PJ and JV at the 5 with one of them putting some minutes at the 4? That won't work.

You can't move Johnson to the 4 simply because of minutes at the guard and wing spots, it screws over the true power forwards and weakens our front court. For as good as Johnson may be.. You can't ask him to play out of position as a freshman and expect him to just take it and run.

If we get Maxey, and I'm assuming we get atleast one of PJ/WG/JV back.. The guards will have to figure it out and fight for minutes. Because 2 of those 4 forwards/centers NEED to be in the game.

The only explanation I can imagine is a pitch that sounds like this: “

“If you want to be ready for the next level, why play on a team where you’re only challenged by competition thirty times a season? Why not play for a team where every scrimmage in the practice gym is an all-out war against other future NBA players? Devin Booker was a lottery pick coming off the bench. Just focus every day on being the best version of yourself and making winning decisions in game time, and your minutes and NBA stock will take care of themselves.”

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Only on Rafters could a thread about a potential recruit, turn into a ref conspiracy thread. LOL , some of you folks are crazy.

I'm fine with Johnson at the 4.. But then what? Richard's, Gabriel, PJ and JV at the 5 with one of them putting some minutes at the 4? That won't work.

You can't move Johnson to the 4 simply because of minutes at the guard and wing spots, it screws over the true power forwards and weakens our front court. For as good as Johnson may be.. You can't ask him to play out of position as a freshman and expect him to just take it and run.

If we get Maxey, and I'm assuming we get atleast one of PJ/WG/JV back.. The guards will have to figure it out and fight for minutes. Because 2 of those 4 forwards/centers NEED to be in the game.

Nobody has suggested starting or keeping KJ at the 4. Run two bigs as long as you can. KJ at PF with three other guards in the 1-3 is a situational lineup that allows us to move the ball in different ways and have a ton of shooters on the floor at once. On defense, it will allow us to press and swarm teams with timid ball handlers. It’s not an everyday configuration, or even an every-game one. But it will happen, and we might like it better than some folks are thinking.

Shoe company got exposed. With the FBI probe it's eliminating alot of what had been steering top kids elsewhere

This still makes no sense to me. There is no way we can end up with Richards, Vanderbilt, PJ, Gabriel, KJ, Herro, Quade, Quickley, Hagans, and Maxey. None of those players would be happy/satisfied with less than ~28 minutes per game. Cal is the master, but I don’t see how even he could make that work.

I honestly thought Quade would leave or Zmaxey would stay in 2019 and either Gabriel or PJ would go pro. (Both of those things could still happen). Eight stud players would be about perfect.

Oh it’s happening . Cal about to reinvent the game yet again!

Is it too late for Quickley to transfer to KU? I mean that gives you all 4 point guards Haggans (pg), Maxley (pg), Green (pg) in the same class. Then toss in Baker, Herro and Johnson and that's 7 perimeter players who could start at any other school.

If Calipari can keep all 7 of them happy, then he's a wizard. No way Montgomery, Vanderbilt, Richards and Washington aren't going to get the bulk of the 4 and 5 time. I guess that gives the 7 an average of 17 minutes per game, if he "platoons" the 1-3 spots.

Quickley isn't a loser. KU is a cheating, losing place. I doubt it little buddy.

Keldon Johnson at the 4 looks a lot like Justice Winslow at the 4 - and duke won the championship that way in ‘15.

Not to nitpick but the lineup most played that season was Jones, Cook, Winslow, Jefferson, and Okafor st least until Matt Jones started playing more at the 3 when he’d sub for Jefferson and they’d go small, so you’re sorta right.
Yo back. I think that was a subtle death threat.

Sure looks like a death threat. I’m super offended.

If Washington, Vanderbilt and Gabriel all come back, there’s no way Johnson will play the 4.

Big fat if. I'll be pumped if we get 2/3 back.

The following is not addressed to you or about things you said, but just in general.

And people worry too much about minutes on here. The best players are going to play and the ones who don't want to be a good teammate and share minutes will ride the bench and can move on after next season. Cal won't be held hostage by any of his guard next year...that's for damn sure. I honestly think most of our fans who are complaining are mainly afraid this will take minutes away from one recruit who they have obsessed over despite UK signing higher ranked recruits before and after him. We all know why that is.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Not to nitpick but the lineup most played that season was Jones, Cook, Winslow, Jefferson, and Okafor st least until Matt Jones started playing more at the 3 when he’d sub for Jefferson and they’d go small, so you’re sorta right.

Sigh.....Pop goes the kernel....got that Reddenbacker thang going on...what a way to go out...o_O

Some of you crack me up. I am not sure what Cal is doing or if it will pan out, but wild imaginations on this board are comical. We are going to need talented bigs who can score and need enough of them for foul trouble. A bunch of 6'3 guards cannot guard 6'7 guys and larger that can play. Meaning post up, shoot, drive..I guess only time will.

You forgot EJ.

He's a Cat. Sounds like he will be on next year's rooster.

Foghorn Leghorn can ball. He played with Mike...

foghorn-leghorn.gif

Last edited:

They became a team capable of winning the title when they shifted Winslow to the 4 and ramped up their defense, imo. I understand that they didn’t start the year that way.

It’s something I think Cal could have done more of in recent years. Maybe we will see more of it next year with the roster (possibly) being assembled.

I'm getting tired of seeing KJ at the 4 posts. It's not happening. He's a star, and a star that'll play the 2/3 entirely. He's a guard, not a 4. And we likely have a ton of quality big men already occupying the 4/5 spots, along with a ton of quality guards that'll use the 1-3 spots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT