ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones on Spaces Call: Mitch willing to give one last run with changes

Ok, I think we'll need more details here. Did Matt say it in his usual speculative/UK fan baiting way, or was he definitive and saying he knows now this is how it's going to go?

Once you learn Matt's tell, he becomes easy.

There is a 50/50 chance here with Cal - he's canned, or he's not.

That’s not exactly what Jones said. He said Mitch may be open to it GIVEN Cal agrees to a ton of changes and demands that MJ isn’t sure Cal will agree to.
Our fans have some inability to listen and pick up the key words, it seems.

So it's an ultimatum. Do it this way, or hit the road. Of course Cal can commit to doing it, but then 10 games in, what if he doesn't? Will Barney can him midseason? NOPE.

If Mitch gives him this ultimatum, he will agree, then just not do it, knowing full well Mitch won't send him packing in the middle of the season. Then if Cal gets us to the S16 or better, he wins HIS WAY.

So it's an ultimatum. Do it this way, or hit the road. Of course Cal can commit to doing it, but then 10 games in, what if he doesn't? Will Barney can him midseason? NOPE.

If Mitch gives him this ultimatum, he will agree, then just not do it, knowing full well Mitch won't send him packing in the middle of the season. Then if Cal gets us to the S16 or better, he wins HIS WAY.
Exactly.

What are they gonna do? Fire him and owe him the same money?

Cal is NOT an idiot when it comes to this.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Completely false. Cal's teams had historically been good at d and weak on the offense. This team was horrible on defense. Something changed but I have no idea what it was.
Completely false? The end result was the same, and he did what he always does, when it gets to March he goes back to what he has always done instead of using what had worked in the regular season

I think cal back with reed back (and no reed with another coach , hesitant to start over) gives us the very best ‘next year ‘ possible. We can still have no cal after next year. I’m cool with Cal and staff changes and program overhaul, with reed back and being preseason top five. It’s just the best next yr possible , and no difference on finding a new coach if needed

Why did that change? I think it links to the assistants but I don't really know.
Chin Coleman does our defensive game plan. I think it's a mix of poor coaching and poor hires. Idk, but it sucks. We've also lacked a real rim protector.

Chin Coleman does our defensive game plan. I think it's a mix of poor coaching and poor hires. Idk, but it sucks. We've also lacked a real rim protector.
Some of that is obviously personnel. But, that doesn't explain it all. Either Cal changed his philosophy or an assistant left who had been the defense coach on staff. This season looked like the players had never seen or heard of defense. That was strange even though we had seen some of that previously.

If this is true we can only hope he will suck it up and hire a defensive coach an true OCD guy as far defense is concerned, someone that can actually coach the X & Os on that side of the ball and that puts players in position to succeed, and who knows the benefits of having a zone and zone press in the pocket if needed and play it from the first game of the season to prefect.

So now we’re supposed to be mollified by making the Sweet 16

Nothing ground breaking in the show.... I guess we will wait 1 more day to hear he's officially coming back.

Yay...

they're gonna push to bring Reed Sheppard back so we don't lose the whole fanbase, I'm ready for our lowest attendance numbers personally. But next year will be more of the same and when it does Mitch Barnhart needs to be fired first then Calipari. Hopefully we hire John Robic for next year mainly bc I still wanna be good even though I won't be paying much attention lol.

If he wins big next year, isn’t that a bigger middle finger to UK and it’s fans? Doesn’t it prove, unquestionably, that he’s been asleep at the wheel and condescending about it? Now that his legacy/reputation and lifetime contract are on the line he’s capable of winning again?

If this is true we can only hope he will suck it up and hire a defensive coach an true OCD guy as far defense is concerned, someone that can actually coach the X & Os on that side of the ball and that puts players in position to succeed, and who knows the benefits of having a zone and zone press in the pocket if needed and play it from the first game of the season to prefect.
Crazy times. We needed an offensive coordinator for years and now we need a defensive one. LoL

I said the same thing initially but I'm self aware enough to know that ain't true. I'm still gonna support the team. I ain't happy but from my position as a fan negativity helps nothing.
And you're supporting what is going on is having a negative impact on the program and its fans that feel differently from you. So you're willing to let it slide as long as you have your entertainment?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT