ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones on Spaces Call: Mitch willing to give one last run with changes

Can't see Reed coming back to a team that's not gonna be nearly as good next season. Teams will be keying on him and he likely won't look as good and his draft stock will slide. Probably get a couple guards out of the portal or maybe Peterson reclass but we'll be right back here next year after another quick exit from the tournament.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Mitch’s new standard to hold Kalipari’s feet to the fire

1. Win 20 games
  2. Finish top 6 in conference regular season
  3. Try to win 1 game in SEC tournament, if not we understand it is hard
  4. Try to get in NCAA tournament and win 1 game, we know that is really hard
Meet these and it will be another great season for CCC and onto the 2025/26 season

-Bonus if you win 21 games

-Additional bonus if you win 1 SEC tournament game and are close to winning the 2nd game

-Triple bonus if you win 1 game in the NCAA tournament and are close to winning the 2nd game, these kids are not robots

-Quadruple bonus if you, Coach Kaliparie, get 1 player drafted in the NBA, because that is the reason we play these silly games anyway!!

He’s super serious now though this is the last ride before the next to last ride.
Oh but this next recruiting class. That will be the one that does it. Catching UCLA any day now.

The only fans cool with this are some boomers on Facebook who are always like “They tried hard. I love my Wildcats. Coach Cal is great.”

This mentality is how a program drifts off into obscurity; not knowing when to pull the plug.

Our fans have some inability to listen and pick up the key words, it seems.

So it's an ultimatum. Do it this way, or hit the road. Of course Cal can commit to doing it, but then 10 games in, what if he doesn't? Will Barney can him midseason? NOPE.

If Mitch gives him this ultimatum, he will agree, then just not do it, knowing full well Mitch won't send him packing in the middle of the season. Then if Cal gets us to the S16 or better, he wins HIS WAY.
Can you imagine the hit to Calipari's ego if he was fired mid season? He might just cease to exist.

Well, see you all in March 2025. Might as well just find something else to watch during that time if this guy is at the helm. Another double-digit loss season, same cliches, same early exits, same excuses.
And probably will still keep the job!

R

robic wasnt the end all be all people think . He was more of an advanced scout type role . Not as much ‘ how to defend the pick and roll’ , etc . He was 58-113 as HC of Youngstown state
He was obviously important, the programs decline match’s up with his daughter death and dismissal almost perfectly.

Oh but this next recruiting class. That will be the one that does it. Catching UCLA any day now.

The only fans cool with this are some boomers on Facebook who are always like “They tried hard. I love my Wildcats. Coach Cal is great.”

This mentality is how a program drifts off into obscurity; not knowing when to pull the plug.
By the time he’s done we will only be 30 games behind Kansas.

Reactions: wildcatcorner
Exactly.

What are they gonna do? Fire him and owe him the same money?

Cal is NOT an idiot when it comes to this.
He gets $3MM more from UK IF they fire him next year. Pay the grifter $9MM and the buyout will go down by $6MM

Reactions: Fox2monk
If true, I am going to run our of "I told you so" memes next season.
i-told-you-lex-luthor.gif

I struggle with that. I'm STILL a UK fan.
I mean has it really felt like UK the last few years? The losses hurt the same? March feel the same? None of this has felt the same.

I get it being Kentucky on the uniforms but from top to bottom I’m not sure anyone else in UKBB administration have the same pride about it that I was raised to.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Mitch hasn't met with the guy but obviously Cal doesn't want to go and why would he?

If Cal is back and Reed is gone I won’t watch. Call me what you want but Reed is a KY kid who plays for the name on the front of the jersey. If he’s back I’ll try to watch to start the season. If he leaves and Cal is back I’m done.
Let’s hope Reed and Travis Perry can play along side each other next year that might cheer us up!!

Reactions: ck-2
Sorry if this has been addressed, but does anyone definitively know the second coaching change? Bruiser is obvious but can anyone confirm who Jones constantly alludes to with the second?

By saying staff changes, does that mean they have to change seats on the bench? Cal has more of these groupies waiting out their just like the ones he has now!
Matt Jones didn’t say staff changes, the poster did. Matt Jones knows he can sell vague BS to his cult and they will fill in the blanks. Mitch may be open to bring back Cal with major changes. The cult ate this up without asking any questions. What major changes? I guess it doesn’t matter because Matt said it. Barnhart hasn’t even met with him but he may be open to keeeping him. That’s some real hardcore journalism there along with all those “changes”. That clears everything up.

This has put me on the Mitch needs to go too wagon. I've never been a Mitch hater, he's done some good stuff for UK and made some pretty big screw-ups (Billy G, Joker, microwave fans etc) but all in all feel like he's done a fair job. If he's not willing to can Cal after this long stretch of unacceptable results on basketball then Mitch needs to go too.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Chin Coleman does our defensive game plan. I think it's a mix of poor coaching and poor hires. Idk, but it sucks. We've also lacked a real rim protector.
I thought Ugo was a decent rim protector. But I've never seen three 7 footers so inept at rebounding. With them having no rebounding instincts, and the rest of the offense cheating towards the other end for fast breaks/defensive position, we were constantly out rebounded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT