ADVERTISEMENT

If Mitch isn't going to get rid of him

Feb 16, 2010
Then there's no point in having a meeting. Changes in staff and strategy have already happened and nothing has changed. Mitch will lose any credibility he does have left if he keeps him. When changes were enforced last time, to me that meant that was him giving him one more chance. If he uses this excuse again, that just tells everyone he will never be held accountable. It's like telling your child you're going to give them to the count of 3 to behave, but you just keep restarting your count.
If he keeps him, the only way I'll ever respect this program again while under Mitch and Cal is if Mitch holds a press conference and admits that he's a lazy and gutless POS and apologizes to the fans for the last 5 years and apologizes for us having to go through it again until Cal retires.

I don't know what HAS happened behind the scenes. I don't know what WILL happen today, tomorrow, whenever. I don't know what Mitch is thinking or might or might not do.

All I do know is this: If there was a class taught to future public relations execs, this would be a perfect example of what NOT to do. There would be chapter in the text book with the title: "UK Hoops: A Lesson in Ineptness."

It would never happen but any scenario of Cal coming back has to have a FF or bust tied to it. The contract itself should have had clauses in it that dramatically reduce the buyout if we don’t make a Sweet 16 more than two years in a row. Or drops by x dollar amount if we lose a first round game, etc. That’s likely unprecedented or against contract law or something I’m too stupid to understand, but it makes sense in my pea brain

I look at this way "if Mitch is going to have a meeting with Calipari I don't see him firing him" .I think Mitch has decided to keep him. :(

It would never happen but any scenario of Cal coming back has to have a FF or bust tied to it. The contract itself should have had clauses in it that dramatically reduce the buyout if we don’t make a Sweet 16 more than two years in a row. Or drops by x dollar amount if we lose a first round game, etc. That’s likely unprecedented or against contract law or something I’m too stupid to understand, but it makes sense in my pea brain
Which D 1 coaches have signed a contract like you are suggesting?

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
There may not even be a meeting today. Didn’t Cal say on the show, he assumed it would be today. Or something like that. Which means there’s nothing definitive. Since Mitch is tied up with the women’s coach, they may not meet until later on next month.

Seems like the assistants will fall on the sword, which is crazy considering how much change our staff has had the last 4-5 years. I’m also curious, is Mitch going be the one picking the new assistants? Just a messy situation from top to bottom.

Reactions: westerncat
Which D 1 coaches have signed a contract like you are suggesting?

Jim Harbaugh did this, not exactly what the other poster said but pretty much gave Michigan all the leverage and ensured the coach of the University would either win big or be let go for next to nothing. Then he went on to have his best run in college coaching and one of the best runs Michigan has had. Michigan Football is about the same as UK Basketball prestige wise.

Reactions: Untouchables40
As Cal said he and Mitch always have this meeting and review after every season. So to Cal its life as usual.

Reactions: 1war
BCG met with them before he was canned. That's the only hope I have
I had never heard this until I read the wiki article yesterday but Mitch apparently told Billy it wasn’t because of the on court performance. It was because “It’s not a good fit.”

Then there's no point in having a meeting. Changes in staff and strategy have already happened and nothing has changed. Mitch will lose any credibility he does have left if he keeps him. When changes were enforced last time, to me that meant that was him giving him one more chance. If he uses this excuse again, that just tells everyone he will never be held accountable. It's like telling your child you're going to give them to the count of 3 to behave, but you just keep restarting your count.
If he keeps him, the only way I'll ever respect this program again while under Mitch and Cal is if Mitch holds a press conference and admits that he's a lazy and gutless POS and apologizes to the fans for the last 5 years and apologizes for us having to go through it again until Cal retires.
Not going to happen....instead look for him to put a positive spin on keeping Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT