ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones makes playoff pitch

No 3 loss team gets in a 12 team playoff, major borderline 16 team playoff. Would take major ass kissing and UK's demonstrated time and time again they're totally lost at whose ass to kiss.

A 3 loss SEC team could. Hell a undefeated FSU team didn't make the playoffs last year. SEC conference is #1, so 2/3 loss teams will make it. Remember there are only 4 power conferences left and the ACC is rated very weak (FSU getting left out last year). A 3 loss SEC team would get in over a 2 loss ACC team because the team from the SEC will have had a lot more / better quality wins. Yes it can and will happen, maybe not UK, but A SEC team will get in.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I feel like I’ve been saying this for a few years lol. I do think 9-3 would depend on a lot of variables breaking our way. 10-2 way more certain.

9 and 3 is unlikely to get UK in. They would have to be ranked 11th in final playoff poll to make it as the 12th spot goes to the group of 5 cupcake sacrificial lamb team.

It wouldn't have happened in 2018 or 2021 if there had been a 12 team playoff.

I'm all for going 9 and 3 and seeing if this year is different though.

No 3 loss team gets in a 12 team playoff, major borderline 16 team playoff. Would take major ass kissing and UK's demonstrated time and time again they're totally lost at whose ass to kiss.

I can't predict the future or would move to Lexington and become famous betting the horses, bet no one ever said that before. But I think a 3 loss team gets left out too. With the group team getting a bid, all 4 P4 teams getting automatic bid, leaves 7 spots. But reading other boards, 10 teams feel they have a chance at 10 wins and the playoffs.

I think Missouri is probably 6th-7th best team but hit the lottery with their schedule and the only way they are out is making SEC championship and getting 3rd loss, or maybe even 2nd loss. I think they play at Bama and officials will protect Bama who smokes Missouri.

I think big and SEC each get 3 teams in, a 3 loss team could make it but with so many teams with a shot at 10 don't think so. The group team and the other 2 champions gets us to 9 teams. ND is probably the only 3 loss team that gets in and they will likely win 9-10 which leaves 2 spots. It likely comes down to does the conference runner up in ACC and big 12 deserve to be in over 4th place teas in b10 or SEC.

Reactions: mrschwump
A 3 loss SEC team could. Hell a undefeated FSU team didn't make the playoffs last year. SEC conference is #1, so 2/3 loss teams will make it. Remember there are only 4 power conferences left and the ACC is rated very weak (FSU getting left out last year). A 3 loss SEC team would get in over a 2 loss ACC team because the team from the SEC will have had a lot more / better quality wins. Yes it can and will happen, maybe not UK, but A SEC team will get in.

FSU didn't get left out because the ACC was weak, they got left out because they were a shell of the team they were after QB was injured. They beat a 10 win LSU by 3 TDs in the opener. Bama beat them by 2 TD and 11 win OM beat them by 6 pts. At full strength FSU was a top 4 team.

That is true, but also true is the ACC is considered VERY weak conference. 2 things can both be true. Yes they would have got in if the QB was healthy, but they didn't and a undefeated team was left out of the playoffs. Tell me, who outside of a healthy FSU was good last year ? A bunch of meh teams.
ACC bowl record 5-6
Wins :
GTech 30 UCF 17
Duke 17 Troy 10
VTech 41 Tulane 20
BC 23 SMU 14
Clemson 38 UK 35
Not ONE of the 5 wins is considered a quality win. Clemson a top ACC team nearly lost to a very mediocre UK team.

Losses :
USF 45 Syracuse 0
USC 42 Louisville 28 (not really that close)
WVU 30 UNC 10
K-State 28 NC State 19
Rutgers 31 Miami 24
Georgia 63 FSU 0
ACC teams was really only close in the Rutgers / Miami game. Beating the likes of Troy, UCF, Tulane, SMU while losing to teams like USF, WVU, Rutgers is not a ringing endorsement of a strong conference. NC State in a fairly even matchup with K-State did not ever have a chance for the win.

That is true, but also true is the ACC is considered VERY weak conference. 2 things can both be true. Yes they would have got in if the QB was healthy, but they didn't and a undefeated team was left out of the playoffs. Tell me, who outside of a healthy FSU was good last year ? A bunch of meh teams.
ACC bowl record 5-6
Wins :
GTech 30 UCF 17
Duke 17 Troy 10
VTech 41 Tulane 20
BC 23 SMU 14
Clemson 38 UK 35
Not ONE of the 5 wins is considered a quality win. Clemson a top ACC team nearly lost to a very mediocre UK team.

Losses :
USF 45 Syracuse 0
USC 42 Louisville 28 (not really that close)
WVU 30 UNC 10
K-State 28 NC State 19
Rutgers 31 Miami 24
Georgia 63 FSU 0
ACC teams was really only close in the Rutgers / Miami game. Beating the likes of Troy, UCF, Tulane, SMU while losing to teams like USF, WVU, Rutgers is not a ringing endorsement of a strong conference. NC State in a fairly even matchup with K-State did not ever have a chance for the win.

Like you said, everything you just typed is true, but with a healthy QB FSU was in regardless of how weak the conference was. But he was injured and the committee decided to take Bama and Texas and leave FSU out, which looks like a good move today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT