ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones makes playoff pitch

No 3 loss team gets in a 12 team playoff, major borderline 16 team playoff. Would take major ass kissing and UK's demonstrated time and time again they're totally lost at whose ass to kiss.

A 3 loss SEC team could. Hell a undefeated FSU team didn't make the playoffs last year. SEC conference is #1, so 2/3 loss teams will make it. Remember there are only 4 power conferences left and the ACC is rated very weak (FSU getting left out last year). A 3 loss SEC team would get in over a 2 loss ACC team because the team from the SEC will have had a lot more / better quality wins. Yes it can and will happen, maybe not UK, but A SEC team will get in.

I feel like I’ve been saying this for a few years lol. I do think 9-3 would depend on a lot of variables breaking our way. 10-2 way more certain.

9 and 3 is unlikely to get UK in. They would have to be ranked 11th in final playoff poll to make it as the 12th spot goes to the group of 5 cupcake sacrificial lamb team.

It wouldn't have happened in 2018 or 2021 if there had been a 12 team playoff.

I'm all for going 9 and 3 and seeing if this year is different though.

Reactions: Bank Cat
No 3 loss team gets in a 12 team playoff, major borderline 16 team playoff. Would take major ass kissing and UK's demonstrated time and time again they're totally lost at whose ass to kiss.

I can't predict the future or would move to Lexington and become famous betting the horses, bet no one ever said that before. But I think a 3 loss team gets left out too. With the group team getting a bid, all 4 P4 teams getting automatic bid, leaves 7 spots. But reading other boards, 10 teams feel they have a chance at 10 wins and the playoffs.

I think Missouri is probably 6th-7th best team but hit the lottery with their schedule and the only way they are out is making SEC championship and getting 3rd loss, or maybe even 2nd loss. I think they play at Bama and officials will protect Bama who smokes Missouri.

I think big and SEC each get 3 teams in, a 3 loss team could make it but with so many teams with a shot at 10 don't think so. The group team and the other 2 champions gets us to 9 teams. ND is probably the only 3 loss team that gets in and they will likely win 9-10 which leaves 2 spots. It likely comes down to does the conference runner up in ACC and big 12 deserve to be in over 4th place teas in b10 or SEC.

Reactions: mrschwump
A 3 loss SEC team could. Hell a undefeated FSU team didn't make the playoffs last year. SEC conference is #1, so 2/3 loss teams will make it. Remember there are only 4 power conferences left and the ACC is rated very weak (FSU getting left out last year). A 3 loss SEC team would get in over a 2 loss ACC team because the team from the SEC will have had a lot more / better quality wins. Yes it can and will happen, maybe not UK, but A SEC team will get in.

FSU didn't get left out because the ACC was weak, they got left out because they were a shell of the team they were after QB was injured. They beat a 10 win LSU by 3 TDs in the opener. Bama beat them by 2 TD and 11 win OM beat them by 6 pts. At full strength FSU was a top 4 team.

That is true, but also true is the ACC is considered VERY weak conference. 2 things can both be true. Yes they would have got in if the QB was healthy, but they didn't and a undefeated team was left out of the playoffs. Tell me, who outside of a healthy FSU was good last year ? A bunch of meh teams.
ACC bowl record 5-6
Wins :
GTech 30 UCF 17
Duke 17 Troy 10
VTech 41 Tulane 20
BC 23 SMU 14
Clemson 38 UK 35
Not ONE of the 5 wins is considered a quality win. Clemson a top ACC team nearly lost to a very mediocre UK team.

Losses :
USF 45 Syracuse 0
USC 42 Louisville 28 (not really that close)
WVU 30 UNC 10
K-State 28 NC State 19
Rutgers 31 Miami 24
Georgia 63 FSU 0
ACC teams was really only close in the Rutgers / Miami game. Beating the likes of Troy, UCF, Tulane, SMU while losing to teams like USF, WVU, Rutgers is not a ringing endorsement of a strong conference. NC State in a fairly even matchup with K-State did not ever have a chance for the win.

That is true, but also true is the ACC is considered VERY weak conference. 2 things can both be true. Yes they would have got in if the QB was healthy, but they didn't and a undefeated team was left out of the playoffs. Tell me, who outside of a healthy FSU was good last year ? A bunch of meh teams.
ACC bowl record 5-6
Wins :
GTech 30 UCF 17
Duke 17 Troy 10
VTech 41 Tulane 20
BC 23 SMU 14
Clemson 38 UK 35
Not ONE of the 5 wins is considered a quality win. Clemson a top ACC team nearly lost to a very mediocre UK team.

Losses :
USF 45 Syracuse 0
USC 42 Louisville 28 (not really that close)
WVU 30 UNC 10
K-State 28 NC State 19
Rutgers 31 Miami 24
Georgia 63 FSU 0
ACC teams was really only close in the Rutgers / Miami game. Beating the likes of Troy, UCF, Tulane, SMU while losing to teams like USF, WVU, Rutgers is not a ringing endorsement of a strong conference. NC State in a fairly even matchup with K-State did not ever have a chance for the win.

Like you said, everything you just typed is true, but with a healthy QB FSU was in regardless of how weak the conference was. But he was injured and the committee decided to take Bama and Texas and leave FSU out, which looks like a good move today.

Having said all of that, the SEC will probably have 5 teams make the playoffs.
My opinion who the teams will be
Georgia
Texas
Ole Miss
Tenn.
Missouri
Other teams in the running and may take the 5th spot :
Bama
LSU
SEC will not get all 7 in, but I feel pretty safe in predicting 5 will. MINIMUM of 4.

It depends on the year. The final CFP rankings in 2022 had a 9-3 Kansas State team ranked #9. In 2018, Florida, LSU and Penn State would have all made it at 9-3. Chances are more likely than not, but if UK were to finish 9-3 this year with their 3 losses all to top 10 teams and a win or 2 against top 25 teams, then I could see it.

When it gets to 16, 3 loss teams will 100% be making it every year. There are not enough 2 or less loss teams to fill the bracket.

9 and 3 is unlikely to get UK in. They would have to be ranked 11th in final playoff poll to make it as the 12th spot goes to the group of 5 cupcake sacrificial lamb team.

It wouldn't have happened in 2018 or 2021 if there had been a 12 team playoff.

I'm all for going 9 and 3 and seeing if this year is different though.
People say pre season rankings are not important. It’s how you finish. That’s complete bullshit. If Alabama starts the season ranked #5 and somehow loses 3. It’s possible They. remain in the top 12. Depends on who they lose to and when.
Start the season unranked like we are and that’s probably impossible.

Having said all of that, the SEC will probably have 5 teams make the playoffs.
My opinion who the teams will be
Georgia
Texas
Ole Miss
Tenn.
Missouri
Other teams in the running and may take the 5th spot :
Bama
LSU
SEC will not get all 7 in, but I feel pretty safe in predicting 5 will. MINIMUM of 4.
Everyone sleeping on LSU.

Their schedule is very manageable and they have a very good QB who was stuck behind Heisman winner. Plus they upgraded their D by taking Mizzou’s DC.

Bet em if you bet!

Last season there were 4 SEC teams with 10+ win regular season wins, Bama, OM, Missouri and UGA. LSU finished 10-3 after bowl and ranked 22th, but was not in top 12 selection night.

But no year will be the same and 9-3 in SEC could get you in some years and not the next.

People say pre season rankings are not important. It’s how you finish. That’s complete bullshit. If Alabama starts the season ranked #5 and somehow loses 3. It’s possible They. remain in the top 12. Depends on who they lose to and when.
Start the season unranked like we are and that’s probably impossible.

Name brand matters. If it ever came down to 9 and 3 UK or 9 and 3 ND we aren't getting in. Same with if both UK and bama are 9 and 3 and last spot goes to one of them. It is what it is.

Last season there were 4 SEC teams with 10+ win regular season wins, Bama, OM, Missouri and UGA. LSU finished 10-3 after bowl and ranked 22th, but was not in top 12 selection night.

But no year will be the same and 9-3 in SEC could get you in some years and not the next.
Yeap. Add Texas this year and that is how I came up with my 5 SEC teams make the playoffs prediction.

I'll take 9-3, playoff or not.
Until we get a complete coaching staff change, we will never be in playoff. Coach Stoops will never get us were we want to be. This is his 12th year and has not done shvt. I'm more for a football coach change than I was for Cal's sorry ase gone. W need a new young progressive coach that will and can recruit. A older coach with a big salary and with our fan base that won't put major pressure on him to produce become lazy. Lazy, but still getting a monthly check for $750,000. 8 & 4 and 7 & 5 does not warraant $750,000 per month. We can get a young coach for half that price and win more than Stoops has or will going forward. I'm not sure why our fan base fears getting a worse coach. I hear so many fans say that Stoops is not the answer, but then say he is the best we have had. being below 50% win rate in the SEC is not what we want. With TX & OK joinging the SEC and going to 9 conference games, I fear Stoops can't get bowl eligible 50% of the time. If you are happy with that performance, then shame on you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT